Forum

Full Version: Kernel Panic - not syncing: fatal exception
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey guys,

I just updated Xbian yesterday (24/02/15) to all the latest available stable packages, the new kernel amongst them. This is on a Pi B powered by a 2 Amp charger with an external portable drive connected by USB and formatted to fat. Then I went to sleep, I left transmission downloading, flexget executing every three hours, and this morning woke up to a kernel panic. See attached photo for details on it. [attachment=397]

Do you have any ideas on what could have caused that?
i'm getting the same error too. not sure what the issue is. i have a similar setup with transmission and flexget. i also have RPi monitor, and i can see that it crashed at a time where there were no scheduled crontab jobs. odd.

not sure where to check.
How do you power your Pi (I assume it's model B too)? Do you have a hard drive connected? And is it powered? I'm thinking it could be a power problem.
I have a 5V 2000mA charger and a non-powered portable drive (should suck around 700 mA) that have never given me these kind of problems.
Maybe with the updates the power consumption of the pi has increased and 2000mA is no longer enough?
im using a 5v - 700 mA power pack (blackberry charger)

i have only 1 external hdd and that is powered.

so is my 700 mA not enough/recommended? i have a pi2 model b.
(26th Feb, 2015 05:01 AM)spencems Wrote: [ -> ]im using a 5v - 700 mA power pack (blackberry charger)

seriously? that would not be enough even for 1st generation of RPi. you need at least 2A (2000mA) recommended for RPi2
@trumanbalter You need a powered hub to run a non-powered hard drive on the Pi 2
(26th Feb, 2015 05:12 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]
(26th Feb, 2015 05:01 AM)spencems Wrote: [ -> ]im using a 5v - 700 mA power pack (blackberry charger)

seriously? that would not be enough even for 1st generation of RPi. you need at least 2A (2000mA) recommended for RPi2

Understood thanks, will try with a new power adapter.
(26th Feb, 2015 05:18 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]@trumanbalter You need a powered hub to run a non-powered hard drive on the Pi 2

Hi f1vefour, I don't have a Pi 2, I have a Pi B. Never had any problems without the powered hub.

@spencems Please, report back your results if you change the charger.
Oh sorry misinterpreted.
No problem =)
How old is your SD card?
1 year old more or less
The activity overloaded the mmc driver, I am not sure why. I will have a look at the recent mainline commits and see if anything stands out.
Ok thanks f1vefour
not sure if this will help, and not that i have resolved my issue - but i havent had a crash in the last 12-15 hours, by turning down the overclocking.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's