Forum

Full Version: CEC not working at boot on Panasonic Viera
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Software
XBian version: XBian 1.0 (knockout)
XBMC/Kodi version: 14.2-BETA2 Git:Unknown
Overclock settings: Medium

Hardware
Device type and model: Raspberry Pi Model B+
Power supply rating: 2A (white raspberry)
SD card size and make/type: 8Gb samsung evo + nfs root
Network (Ethernet or wireless): wired
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, ...): Panasonic Viera TX-P42X60

Log files
Link to logfile(s):
no errors logged

Problem description:
When Xbian starts, most of times CEC doesn't work.
I have to do the following actions on TV: Set link(*) to off, exit tv menu, set link to on again. Then CEC start working without any problem.
If I reboot Xbian, with TV on, sometimes CEC works immediately, but more often I must do the menu trick again.

Then I can switch off and on TV and, as long Xbian is running, CEC works everytime.

But sometimes even doing the link off/on procedure, CEC doesn't start working, unless I reboot Xbian with tv on.

When kodi starts I can always see the message of CEC peripheral connected.

(*) I don't use the so called "Viera link" because is not working (I think is searching only other Panasonic stuff). There's another link item in TV menus.

How to reproduce:
Switch TV off
reboot Xbian and let kodi start
Switch TV on

I have this problem since I left beta 2
I have Viera and it works perfect if I have TV on right input than CEC start after boot. if is not on the right input I need to manually turn Viera Link.
normal behaviour
try different decent quality HDMI cable
But when CEC starts, then is perfect.
When I reboot Xbian, even with TV on correct input, I have to disable e re-enable link from TV to get it working again.
It's a bit annoying. Luckily I don't have to reboot Xbian very often. Only if evil devs are doing their magic too fast Wink

When I started using Xbian, it was beta 2 and CEC was working out of the box, at every boot, with the same hardware and cables.

I use the last one, "Setup", then the first one of the following menu (I don't find a picture).
Viera link gives me error of no link found.

I think there could be different versions of TV firmware around.
by looking at your screen you seems to have one of those which I us to have. not sure if there was any libcec update lately with may cause some issues
(9th Mar, 2015 08:41 PM)Fabio72 Wrote: [ -> ]But when CEC starts, then is perfect.
When I reboot Xbian, even with TV on correct input, I have to disable e re-enable link from TV to get it working again.
It's a bit annoying. Luckily I don't have to reboot Xbian very often. Only if evil devs are doing their magic too fast Wink

When I started using Xbian, it was beta 2 and CEC was working out of the box, at every boot, with the same hardware and cables.

I use the last one, "Setup", then the first one of the following menu (I don't find a picture).
Viera link gives me error of no link found.

I think there could be different versions of TV firmware around.

I have a similar problem with LG Simplink (the equivalent to the CEC extended protocol used by Panasonic) and the solution for me was very simple... I've disabled Simplink.
CEC standart now works fine...

But i think this is something that is not equal to all models, because my bedroom tv is also LG but a different model and when i disable Simplink, CEC stops working altogether (and i suppose that is what was supposed to happen in all models).

Long story short rPi CEC and LG Simplink dont get along very well.... And you might have z similar situation there.
I have Philips TV and after days of trying to figure whats happening I found on Philips support forum that there is known incompatibility problem with different versions of cec versions and my Cable STB was making all the mess. When I disconnected it from TV all started working. When STB was connected there was usual communication with rpi (cec-client dumps everything when changing source etc..) but there were no commands from remote even in cec-client. As soon as I disconnected STB everything started working again. There is solution to cut wire that goes to pin 13 on HDMI cable that goes to STB and Ill do it (my STB doesn't use any of CEC functions). Maybe this will help someone.
(13th Mar, 2015 07:39 AM)siklosi Wrote: [ -> ]I have Philips TV and after days of trying to figure whats happening I found on Philips support forum that there is known incompatibility problem with different versions of cec versions and my Cable STB was making all the mess. When I disconnected it from TV all started working. When STB was connected there was usual communication with rpi (cec-client dumps everything when changing source etc..) but there were no commands from remote even in cec-client. As soon as I disconnected STB everything started working again. There is solution to cut wire that goes to pin 13 on HDMI cable that goes to STB and Ill do it (my STB doesn't use any of CEC functions). Maybe this will help someone.

definitely, this would not be a first time something like this happened and there are similar reports since CEC was found
Thanks
(13th Mar, 2015 07:39 AM)siklosi Wrote: [ -> ]I have Philips TV and after days of trying to figure whats happening I found on Philips support forum that there is known incompatibility problem with different versions of cec versions and my Cable STB was making all the mess. When I disconnected it from TV all started working. When STB was connected there was usual communication with rpi (cec-client dumps everything when changing source etc..) but there were no commands from remote even in cec-client. As soon as I disconnected STB everything started working again. There is solution to cut wire that goes to pin 13 on HDMI cable that goes to STB and Ill do it (my STB doesn't use any of CEC functions). Maybe this will help someone.

LG WebOS CEC functions (or Simplink) have the same problem. Lots of people complaining about this with their DVB/Satellite receivers when Simplink is on. Furtenly CEC still works with Simplink off and all the issues disappear (know that 1st hand since i have a WebOS TV).
Hi, I found a similar topic, so I will write here, can someone tell me.
available:
1. TV Phillips support HDMI CEC (EazyLink = Enable)
2. Raspberry Pi 3B + (xbian 18.1 include hdmi-cec client 4.0.4)
-----
I specified the HDMI = 2 port in the HDMI-CEC Client settings and "turn off RPi when turning off the TV". The rest is the default.
I switch to RPi3 with the remote control - I’m moving normally through the XBian menu, I can turn on the TV from the TV remote and then turn on the RPi3.
But when you turn on the TV - RPi3 will not turn on, how to fix it?
And one more question: When watching channels on TV and RPi3 (XBian) turned on, every 2-2 minutes, switching to RPi3 takes place, because at this time the RPi3 HDMI-CEC TV activity check comes, tried to add it to config.txt
HDMI_FORCE_HOTPLUG = 1 I don’t switch, but I go to RPi3, but I can’t do anything with the remote.
@dvv06 Please create new thread

Very hard for me to understand what your problem is Sad

Quote:I can turn on the TV from the TV remote and then turn on the RPi3.
But when you turn on the TV - RPi3 will not turn on, how to fix it?

??? Confused ???
ok, i will create a new topic, sorry for my english, i translate via google
Panasonic TX-L42ETW5W, ca 2012. RPI 3B connected to first HDMI port, XBian current (04/15/2018).
RPI is powered by 2x USB output from TV, so it powers on whenever TV powers on.

Upon power on, Kodi reports CEC, but it does not work. When i then change input on TV to some other HDMI port and back, CEC does work.

This is without anything else connected to other HDMI ports. If i connect another CEC capable device to port 2, results are even more confusing, some keys don't work (menu for example), others do.

*sigh*

Oh, forgot to ask:

In an older kodi installation, the CEC config allowed to configure the HDMI port that the RPI is connected to. Now this option has vanished from the config menu. There is still the "physical address (overrides HDMI port)" config option though. WHich of course is confusing, because of the "overrides HDMI port", which is referring to the vanished part.

Is the option to configure the HDMI port for CEC some place else, or if now, why was it removed ?

*strange*
(16th Apr, 2019 04:39 AM)te36 Wrote: [ -> ]Panasonic TX-L42ETW5W, ca 2012. RPI 3B connected to first HDMI port, XBian current (04/15/2018).
RPI is powered by 2x USB output from TV, so it powers on whenever TV powers on.

Upon power on, Kodi reports CEC, but it does not work. When i then change input on TV to some other HDMI port and back, CEC does work.

This is without anything else connected to other HDMI ports. If i connect another CEC capable device to port 2, results are even more confusing, some keys don't work (menu for example), others do.

*sigh*

Oh, forgot to ask:

In an older kodi installation, the CEC config allowed to configure the HDMI port that the RPI is connected to. Now this option has vanished from the config menu. There is still the "physical address (overrides HDMI port)" config option though. WHich of course is confusing, because of the "overrides HDMI port", which is referring to the vanished part.

Is the option to configure the HDMI port for CEC some place else, or if now, why was it removed ?

*strange*

Your installation is approx 1 year old. So, you did not tell what has been changed in the last year with your installation. Did it ever worked?

Which version of Kodi, CEC library?

No debug logs, no help. Probably too old installation -> probably help very difficult
(16th Apr, 2019 05:24 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Your installation is approx 1 year old. So, you did not tell what has been changed in the last year with your installation. Did it ever worked? Which version of Kodi, CEC library?

No debug logs, no help. Probably too old installation -> probably help very difficult

oops, sorry. typo. 4/15/2019 - aka: downloaded / installed XBian today.
Xbian module says everything up to date.

I now changed CEC config to
switch source to this device on startup YES
devices to power on during statup TV and AVR device (explicit)
Send "inactive source" command on shutdown
When the TV is switched off Shutdown

everything else left to default.

Now it seems to work.

I have no idea why. This is just strange magic with CEC. Aka: i don't understand which of these should be necessary, and if so, why.

Also still not clear why there is no way to explicitly configure the HDMI port . WOuld like to connect multiple CEC devices after all.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's