Forum

Full Version: transmission does not auto start
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi
I installed the tranmssion package via xbian-config.
If I check the services status, i see autostart is checked but the service never starts during boot.
I checked the /etc/init.d/ script, which works cause I can start it from command line.
I also checked the /etc/rcx.d directories, which indeed contains the services for transmission.

Any idea why the transmission daemon is not starting?

Thx

s.
Anyone?
Any errors about transmission when booting up?
where would I find those booterrors? I tried adding a log file of transmission in /etc/default/transmission, but failed to do so.
You should see something in dmesg about transmission failing to start.
there's nothing in dmesg at all ...
What other log files are there in xbian to check what happens during boot?

I now have the same when trying to add permanent iptables.
I added that as well via update rc.d, rebooted, but no such luck, I have to start it manualy after boot.
Sounds like an upstart issue but I'm unsure.
transmission service is not ported to upstart it seems, hence I am using the rc.d mechanism ...
It would have been easier indeed if it was added to upstart.
Can someone point me to some useful log files where I could troubleshoot this issue?
Why not just create an upstart job? This has to be a raspbian issue since it isn't an xbian package, have you checked if anyone on raspbian has the same issue?

I don't know where failed service logs are stored.
Here is one you can edit to suit:

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/113253473/transmission-daemon.upstart

Code:
start on (filesystem and net-device-up IFACE=lo)
stop on runlevel [!2345]

# give time to send info to trackers
kill timeout 30

setuid debian-transmission

respawn

pre-start script

# stop job from continuing if no config file found for daemon
  [ ! -f /etc/default/transmission-daemon ] && { stop; exit 0; }

# source the config file
  . /etc/default/transmission-daemon

# stop job from continuing if admin has not enabled service in
  # config file.
  [ "$ENABLE_DAEMON" != 0 ] || { stop; exit 0; }

end script

script
  . /etc/default/transmission-daemon

exec /usr/bin/transmission-daemon -f $OPTIONS
end script
thanks for that, I tried adding it to /etc/init/transmission, but as you can guess, no good :-).
Damn, the bigger problem is, logging, I have no idea where to find logfiles, and if there are logfiles like the upstart dir, there's nothing useful in there...
Is this a raspbian problem you think?
(31st Mar, 2015 02:33 AM)supahfly Wrote: [ -> ]thanks for that, I tried adding it to /etc/init/transmission, but as you can guess, no good :-).
Damn, the bigger problem is, logging, I have no idea where to find logfiles, and if there are logfiles like the upstart dir, there's nothing useful in there...

It autostarts here. Just need to select that option in SSH menu (I know you did it). Fresh reinstall?
(26th Mar, 2016 11:29 PM)Peiote Wrote: [ -> ]
(31st Mar, 2015 02:33 AM)supahfly Wrote: [ -> ]thanks for that, I tried adding it to /etc/init/transmission, but as you can guess, no good :-).

It autostarts here. Just need to select that option in SSH menu (I know you did it). Fresh reinstall?

I started using raspbian itself, and a happy camper ever since.
I had stability issues with xbian, I had to reboot occasionally, lockups, the startup issue, ...
raspbain runs for several months now without the need for a reboot ...

Set to solved as originator has moved to Raspbian
Reference URL's