Forum

Full Version: VNC x11 desktop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a way to get a standard desktop served through VNC rather than duplicate the Kodi display?
Basically, I want to use my RPI as a media server - got that OOTB - but would also like to run some office apps in a standard desktop, which would be different to the HDMI output (Kodi) and only available through VNC client.
Yes, run it on :1 instead of :0
Was trying to use rpi-vncserver. Can you help me with some hints as to how to configure that? Or otherwise, what would be the setup you'd recommend?
Thanks
Actually you likely can't do what I wrote on the Pi.
Thanks; so, even if not a full desktop, any ideas of how I can use a browser on the pi while not affecting kodi? Managed with lynx so far, except it's apparently broken for https.
I recomend using xrdp. It works for me (although not through rdp protocol, but rather with classic vnc), and you can configure it to start the whole desktop environment or even just a single application (in my case a web browser) on X11.
Much faster would be X2go, but unfortunately there are no ready to use packages for ARM server, only for client.
I build and use my own packages for my Cubieboard2, but they requires an ARMv7 CPU so it can not used for RPi1
Reference URL's