Forum

Full Version: VNC Viewer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

is possible to have a VNC Viewer (or another sw for remote desktop control) on xbian?

Thank you.
No, VNC relies on X11 where XBMC uses the frambuffer, so this is not possible.
Ok, thank you for the answer.
As Koenkk already said, X11 and XBMC aren't good friends as there could be some problems with the libraries and XBMC isn't able to start anymore. But as I was testing some web browsers, I was able to get X11 and XBMC running side-by-side.
But please make a full backup of your SD card/installation before testing it, as I only tested it with XBMC RC1 and not with later versions. So it could be possible that your XBMC will not start anymore after installing X11. So please make a backup.

1. Open the command line of your Rpi
2. Shutdown XBMC
Terminal
sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc stop
3. Install X11 and lxde
Terminal
sudo apt-get install xorg
sudo apt-get install lxde-core --no-install-recommends
sudo apt-get install lxde-icon-theme
4. Install VNC viewer
Terminal
sudo apt-get install xtightvncviewer
5. Start the X11 environment
Terminal
startx

When you click on the icon in the left corner, you should hopefully find a VNC viewer icon.
If you tested all, leave the X11 envirnment or reboot the Rpi. If XBMC doesn't start anymore, try the following command from the command line:
Terminal
sudo dpkg --purge libtag1-vanilla:armhf libtag1c2a:armhf gstreamer0.10-plugins-good:armhf
sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc start
Okay, I know what to do this weekend! Wink

Thank you, I write a feedback when I try.
I have dug around about this a bit. I was hoping to find a VNC SERVER for xbian so that I could remote control the GUI when needed.

I did, however, find a package that claims to be a vnc viewer that uses the framebuffer and does not require X11. Interestingly enough, it's available in the Raspbian repositories. it's called DirectVNC. I installed it because I was initially thinking that it was a server, but alas, is not. So I removed it without testing.

You can install it with

Code:
apt-get-install directvnc

If you try this, please report back.
Anyone tried xrdp (http://www.xrdp.org/), its supposed to work on RPi
Reference URL's