Forum

Full Version: Migration from Rpi1 -> Rpi2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Having seen that this should now work I tried it today.

I took a microSD and flashed the pi1 backup to it, placed it in a SD adaptor and tested it in Pi1 - No problem. It worked as expected. I removed from /boot/config.txt all the cpu/memory clock speeds and also the mpeg licence.

I placed the microSD into a Pi2 and it seems to get stuck in the boot process. The activity light flickers a little and then it just sits there. Huh I have no screen attached so can't see how far it got, maybe try again tomorrow.....

Is there something else I need to do, or is this not possible with Xbian image?

Thanks.
(7th Jul, 2017 04:26 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Having seen that this should now work I tried it today.

I took a microSD and flashed the pi1 backup to it, placed it in a SD adaptor and tested it in Pi1 - No problem. It worked as expected. I removed from /boot/config.txt all the cpu/memory clock speeds and also the mpeg licence.

You do not have to remove/change mpeg license. Up to 8 comma separated licenses can be put there (I have three configured Smile)

Quote:I placed the microSD into a Pi2 and it seems to get stuck in the boot process. The activity light flickers a little and then it just sits there. Huh I have no screen attached so can't see how far it got, maybe try again tomorrow.....

Is there something else I need to do, or is this not possible with Xbian image?

Yes / No Big Grin

I did this when I bought first RPi2 (about two years ago), was too lazy to configure everything from scratch Tongue. But you have to install Kernel for RPi2 when card is still plugged in a RPi1, because kernel built for RPi1 does NOT support RPi2/3 and vice versa.
Thanks for the helpful info. Sorry for delay in replying, been in bed with a bad back.

As for the update to pi2, it sounds like a recipe for disaster based on my previous luck, so will leave it a while until I have more time to look into it. Maybe in a month or two..... Smile
(19th Jul, 2017 06:22 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the helpful info. Sorry for delay in replying, been in bed with a bad back.

Oops, does not sound good Sad

Quote:As for the update to pi2, it sounds like a recipe for disaster based on my previous luck, so will leave it a while until I have more time to look into it. Maybe in a month or two..... Smile

Ok, so you know what you have to do then ...
(20th Jul, 2017 04:34 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, so you know what you have to do then ...

Yes / No Tongue

In theory it looks simple. Power up Pi1, install pi2 kernel, power down and move card to pi2.

In practice I need to do more research and then check in with what I think the process is before I do it and make a mess of things.
It's a new learning curve for me, that's going to do me some good I hope. As a hint, is the kernel for pi2 in xbian github, or where?
(20th Jul, 2017 06:56 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]
(20th Jul, 2017 04:34 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, so you know what you have to do then ...

Yes / No Tongue

Learning by doing Big Grin

Quote:In theory it looks simple. Power up Pi1, install pi2 kernel, power down and move card to pi2.

In practice I need to do more research and then check in with what I think the process is before I do it and make a mess of things.
It's a new learning curve for me, that's going to do me some good I hope. As a hint, is the kernel for pi2 in xbian github, or where?

Kernel package is like all other packages in XBian's repository, for example you can find kernel for rpi2/3 here

You have to do a bit more:

1) you have to modify file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbian
change everything you find rpi_jessie (or rpi_stretch) to rpi2_jessie (resp rpi2_stretch)
2) sudo apt-get update # refresh package list
3) cd /tmp; apt-get download linux-image-bcm2836 # download latest kernel package for rpi2/3
4) sudo dpkg --force-all -r xbian-package-kernel # remove rp1 kernel
5) sudo dpkg -i linux-image-bcm2836*.deb # install rpi2/3 kernel
6) if dpkg complains any dependency errors, you have to run sudo apt-get install -f
7) shut down and move sd-card into rpi2
@Nachteule

Thank you for taking the time to post this. Clear step-by step instructions. Marvelous! - This should be in the FAQ on the main web page for others who might be going down the same route...

I'll be able to try this much sooner now Smile
(29th Jul, 2017 07:04 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]@Nachteule

Thank you for taking the time to post this. Clear step-by step instructions. Marvelous! - This should be in the FAQ on the main web page for others who might be going down the same route...

I'll be able to try this much sooner now Smile

When you have finished successfully, you can write an article on our wiki Dodgy
You must be well clever - it worked a treat!

OK, I know there was a little test in the first line, but I got past that one Wink

A lot of errors came up, but I simply ignored them and continued.

End result is new pi2 working with all settings retained. Backups, SSH keys, DAC, LCD, RTC, FSTAB all as before Smile

Thank you so much....I must get you a beer one day! Smile %:
(25th Aug, 2017 06:30 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]You must be well clever - it worked a treat!

Congratulations Smile

Quote:OK, I know there was a little test in the first line, but I got past that one Wink

A lot of errors came up, but I simply ignored them and continued.

I suppose step 4 produced them, that's why you have to use option --force-all

Quote:End result is new pi2 working with all settings retained. Backups, SSH keys, DAC, LCD, RTC, FSTAB all as before Smile

Oh, I forgot: you should have to change url in file /etc/apt/sources.list, there is still raspbian repo configured, but you have to set up a debian repo there.
This could cause issues when running updates

Quote:Thank you so much....I must get you a beer one day! Smile %:

Cheers Smile
(25th Aug, 2017 07:36 PM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, I forgot: you should have to change url in file /etc/apt/sources.list, there is still raspbian repo configured, but you have to set up a debian repo there.
This could cause issues when running updates

Angel Maybe you aren't so clever after all Tongue

I made the changes and now when I go to upgrade in xbian-config it says 437 packages selected for upgrade. Does this sound right to you? I remember when going to jessie from wheezy there was a big upgrade like this, but I try to update I get a W gpg error and nothing will update...??? So an authentication problem it seems....
Maybe you can regain your clever status with this one! Wink
I fixed it! - One day I might get as clever as you after all Tongue
Sad

...or maybe not. I can update now but cannot upgrade. I get a DPKG error(1). I have tried a lot of things I have seen on the web and so far nothing works. Sad

No matter what I tried so far I get.
Terminal

insserv: Service mountkernfs has to be enabled to start service cgmanager
insserv: exiting now!
update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
dpkg: error processing package cgmanager (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
cgmanager
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

and....
Terminal
sudo dpkg --configure -a
Setting up cgmanager (0.33-2+deb8u2) ...
initctl: Unknown job: K02nfs-common
insserv: warning: script 'K02nfs-common' missing LSB tags and overrides
initctl: Unknown job: K02udev-finish
insserv: warning: script 'K02udev-finish' missing LSB tags and overrides
initctl: Unknown job: S05nfs-common
initctl: Unknown job: S01dbus
insserv: warning: script 'S01dbus' missing LSB tags and overrides
initctl: Unknown job: S01udev-finish
initctl: Unknown job: S05mountnfs-bootclean.sh
insserv: warning: script 'S05mountnfs-bootclean.sh' missing LSB tags and overrides
initctl: Unknown job: S05checkroot-bootclean.sh
insserv: warning: script 'S05checkroot-bootclean.sh' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: Service mountkernfs has to be enabled to start service cgmanager
insserv: exiting now!
update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
dpkg: error processing package cgmanager (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
cgmanager
AFAIR I had same problem, but was not able to reproduce it

Please try:

Terminal

sudo ln -s ../init.d/mountkernfs.sh /etc/rcS.d/S04mountkernfs

and after that run again your commands
I spent 6 hours trying to figure this out today and nothing I found came even close to that - Thank you.

But it's not over yet. Out of the 437 packages to be upgraded, it stopped with 93 left to go with the following message....

Terminal
initctl: Unknown job: S01mountkernfs.sh x
x insserv: warning: script 'S01mountkernfs.sh' missing LSB tags x
x insserv: Service mountdevsubfs has to be enabled to start serv x
x insserv: exiting now! x
x update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header x
x dpkg: error processing package hdparm (--configure): x
x subprocess installed post-installation script returned error x
x Errors were encountered while processing: x
x hdparm x
x E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I cannot seem to get past this point. Time for bed anyway....
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's