Forum

Full Version: Backup system files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

for a few days a receive a message on a regular basis reminding me that a backup of my system files has not been done for some time.

Where does this come from and how can I turn that off?
Comes from resident part of XBian config GUI

1) you have to enable advanced mode in XBian-config GUI, section Preferences
2a) when you get this message again, you are asked if you want to disable this hint
or better:
2b) define backup job in XBian-config GUI, section Backup to make automatic daily, weekly or monthly backup's
Thanks! :-)
(3rd Aug, 2017 07:52 PM)Senseohasser Wrote: [ -> ]for a few days a receive a message on a regular basis reminding me that a backup of my system files has not been done for some time.

For searches, the (English) title of this dialog window is "System backup" and the text is "This type of backup has not been made for a long time".

(4th Aug, 2017 03:33 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Comes from resident part of XBian config GUI

1) you have to enable advanced mode in XBian-config GUI, section Preferences
2a) when you get this message again, you are asked if you want to disable this hint

Since I prefer to modify settings via the command line, I didn't know to what the "XBian config GUI" referred. For the similarly confused, you find the "XBian config GUI" in the Kodi interface (i.e. on your TV) on the "Add-ons" tab as the "XBian-Config" Add-on. After it loads, you can select the "Preferences" tab and enable the "Advanced_mode" setting under the "Advanced" heading.
I am also having this problem, but sadly, I cannot launch the Xbian-config GUI addon. When I attempt to launch it a loading dialogue briefly launches and then disappears again, and nothing happens.

I've also exited the Kodi interface to the command line and used the xbian-config ncurses menu from there, but I can't find any option to enable advanced mode, nor can I find anything to set regular backups. I did run a home folder backup process from that menu, but, as I expected, it made no difference to whether the pop up continues to appear when I boot the system up.

I am not really interested in getting to the bottom of why the xbian-config gui won't work, because I sense this is a rabbit hole and I don't have time for that. I would just like to know how to edit the setting from the command line to stop this annoying System backup reminder from popping up constantly. I would appreciate any help with that anyone can give me.

Many thanks.
(21st Aug, 2020 09:29 PM)tremendum Wrote: [ -> ]I am also having this problem, but sadly, I cannot launch the Xbian-config GUI addon. When I attempt to launch it a loading dialogue briefly launches and then disappears again, and nothing happens.

[ spam deleted ... ]

Before you keep nagging around here, check out Kodi's logfile and get smarter.
everyone else can start XBian-config GUI, except apparently you
(22nd Aug, 2020 02:26 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]
(21st Aug, 2020 09:29 PM)tremendum Wrote: [ -> ]I am also having this problem, but sadly, I cannot launch the Xbian-config GUI addon. When I attempt to launch it a loading dialogue briefly launches and then disappears again, and nothing happens.

[ spam deleted ... ]

Before you keep nagging around here, check out Kodi's logfile and get smarter.
everyone else can start XBian-config GUI, except apparently you

Yes I suppose that would indicate that something's gone wrong with my Kodi, where it is not wrong with everyone else's Kodi, wouldn't it?

However, as I think I made clear, I don't want to fix that now. I'm smart enough to do it, but I know how long these things can take, and I'd prefer to be smart in a different way, such as how I spend my weekend.

I was just asking if there is a way to toggle off the pop up notification from the command line, perhaps by editing a settings file?

If anyone knows how to do that, I would be very grateful to be let in on the secret. Otherwise, I think a "sorry but I can't help you" is customary and that would do very well, thanks.
(23rd Aug, 2020 07:51 PM)tremendum Wrote: [ -> ]I was just asking if there is a way to toggle off the pop up notification from the command line, perhaps by editing a settings file?

There isn't. All thees settings are crypted and can only be set from XBian-config GUI, sorry
A month or so back, I had the problem as well that the Xbian menu wouldn't load in Kodi. I waited until the next xbian update and did an apt-get update and upgrade from the cli. Since then the xbian gui works again. So, not a root cause, but a simple solution at the end.

@TS: a simple piece of (free) advice from a simple user of Xbian: every help, every answer for YOUR problem is given by other people in their spare time, for free. Some answers might not be helpful to you, but together most problems can be solved. I don't think it is a good idea to start a discussion about 'smart', since the smartest guy, with the most knowledge and the most invested time in this forum and in the distribution itself by far, is @Nachteule !
To turn off the XBian reminder regarding backup files, you can follow these steps:

1. Open the XBian configuration menu. This can typically be accessed by navigating to the "Settings" or "System" menu in XBian and selecting "Configuration".

2. Select the "Backup" option from the configuration menu.

3. In the backup settings menu, locate the option for "Reminder" and set it to "Off". This will disable the reminder for backing up your XBian files.

4. Save your changes and exit the configuration menu.

After completing these steps, you should no longer receive reminders to backup your XBian files. However, it's important to note that regular backups of your XBian system are an important part of maintaining its stability and ensuring that your data is safe. So, it's recommended to create regular backups manually or through an automated system to avoid losing important data.
fnf
Reference URL's