Forum

Full Version: This is 'Stretching' me.... :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Ok,

So today I decided it was time to upgrade from jessie to stretch as the end of the year support was about to hit!

First pi2 - success
Second pi2 - success
Third pi2 - Fail.

I don't know why - I tried.....
Terminal

xbian@lounge2 ~ $ sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for xbian:
sudo: unable to open /var/lib/sudo/ts/xbian: Read-only file system
dpkg: error: unable to access dpkg status area: Read-only file system
I tried rebooting - Initially it seemed to be in a boot-loop. But now is stable and saying it has about 160sih upgrades, but I can't get it any further.

Also......
Terminal

xbian@lounge2 ~ $ sudo apt-get autoremove
W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
xbian@lounge2 ~ $ sudo reboot
sudo: unable to execute /sbin/reboot: Input/output error
xbian@lounge2 ~ $ sudo poweroff
Sorry, try again.
sudo: unable to execute /sbin/poweroff: Input/output error

So...what to try next please? - I am stuck! ConfusedAngel
Hmmm, I suppose your sd-card is broken

You could try starting rescue system and run rum && btrfs check /dev/mmdblk0p2 and see what happens ...
Sd card is only used only for booting - system loads from usb drive (Sandisk). I guess that makes it a bit more complicated? ..... Or maybe not.

Funnily enough, this as an exact copy of the system on the first pi upgraded with only changes to name, ip address,LCD screen and has been fine for months.

Maybe I will revert back to latest image and try again.

The first 2 upgrades exited 'gracefully' while this one went to a 'blank screen' and needed a hard reset (pulling the power)...

Cheers
(31st Dec, 2017 08:17 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Sd card is only used only for booting - system loads from usb drive (Sandisk). I guess that makes it a bit more complicated? ..... Or maybe not.

Funnily enough, this as an exact copy of the system on the first pi upgraded with only changes to name, ip address,LCD screen and has been fine for months.

Maybe I will revert back to latest image and try again.

The first 2 upgrades exited 'gracefully' while this one went to a 'blank screen' and needed a hard reset (pulling the power)...

Cheers

Ahhhh, ok

Agree, if you have backup, it is much faster to restore system and try again. That's why we have backups Big Grin
Removed SD card. Removed partitions and re-formated. Then tested with H2Wtest and all OK.

Have yet to test USB stick, will do that next.Rolleyes

Flashed image and working again. Big Grin

Will try upgrade again in next few days. Wink

Thanks.
Hmm..... This did not go smoothly and I am stuck again.

Xbian seems to work. Can ssh and http in. LCD display is fine and sound from server and internet plays fine with dac.

But....when I try to VNC in and upgrade to stretch I keep getting a socket error not long after selecting the upgrade 'yes' option.

So I connected a monitor to the pi and tried again. Now I see it reboot whenever I ask it to upgrade to stretch. It starts 'looking for' the upgradeable packages, then bang..... it reboots itself.....

I am confused to say the least.
Indeed, its confusing

Already checked power supply?
PSU not changed and no other problems.

I noticed that this one was on 'staging' release and have now selected 'stable' instead - it has not rebooted this time and is still looking as I type this but mouse is still responsive too...so hoping. Activity LED solid green...

Thank you for the fast reply! I feel a little less stressed now! Wink
Ehm, that's weird

I have staging enabled @alll of my XBian's, never had issues when running a distribution upgrade Dodgy
So I wiped the sd card. D/l fresh backup from server. flashed card. Still the same problem. So will try dirty option as soon as I can. IT worked before in last emergency.

And I was hoping things would be better in 2018 - but early days I suppose! Wink
Hmm, so your issue already has been backed up Confused

What's your 'dirty option' Smile
Dirty option is to flash with already upgraded image from another pi and just change the ip/name/mail/ etc to match this one... Oddly it works with sudo apt-get upadte, no trouble.

Just for info is there a way to go to stretch from ssh?

It is really confusing!
(3rd Jan, 2018 04:06 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Dirty option is to flash with already upgraded image from another pi and just change the ip/name/mail/ etc to match this one... Oddly it works with sudo apt-get upadte, no trouble.

Ah, ok Smile

Quote:Just for info is there a way to go to stretch from ssh?

Sure, change everything from jessie -> stretch in file /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbian.list

and run

sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

That's what xbian-config is running in background Smile
(3rd Jan, 2018 04:19 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Sure, change everything from jessie -> stretch in file /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbian.list

and run

sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

That's what xbian-config is running in background Smile

I wish I knew that a week ago! - Maybe it would work now? I just flashed an image from Nov24th to see if it is the same, but now I could just do that instead.

Could I make a request for dist-upgrade option to be added to the ssh version of xbian-config? Would make it all a whole lot simpler! Angel

I did the edits and update-dist-upgrade and it's working! - Explain that one! Tongue
(3rd Jan, 2018 04:28 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Could I make a request for dist-upgrade option to be added to xbian-config? Would make it all a whole lot simpler! Angel

You could, but I don't believe that I'm putting this into xbian-config CLI

Ah, btw, you can run

sudo xbian-config updates distupgrade prepare
sudo xbian-config updates distupgrade execute
sudo xbian-config updates progress

(the first command modifies sources.list files, the second command runs dist-upgrade in background and the third command checks if upgrade process still running)
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's