Forum

Full Version: Strange Video Playback Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(20th Apr, 2018 04:36 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, ok, you are forcing SMB1 as protocol

Was just an idea ...

I appreciate you giving time to think about this - any help is good in situations like this!

(20th Apr, 2018 04:43 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Sooooo, you had

1) strange database issue with running old image,
2) strange video play issue running new setup

Couldn't faulty hardware being the culprit?

I am not ruling that out - but I can't establish what might be the problem. Huh

I suspected the server, but no issues at all with that on the laptop and not on the pi if file is also played on laptop. So then I suspected the pi. Dodgy

If issue was the pi then it wouldn't play well when using either a different server or when the files are also played on the laptop. Dodgy

Since there is no occasion where a failure exists across all testing methods, it is difficult to determine where the problem lies. Hardware, setup/config, maybe a bit of each? Dodgy Huh

Another sleepless night it seems.... Sad
NEW UPDATE !!!!

So today I tested with the following situation.

1. Server unplugged all night (due to big electrical storm).
2. New and tested power supply for the pi.
3. New tested SD card (never used on any device).
4. Freshly download image of xbian for pi2/pi3.

I installed the image to the card, put it in the pi and booted up. First off I set the hostname and fstab entries. Then I played a video and guess what I found?

Wait for it........

Wait for it........

EXACTLY the same issue. No changes at all.

Next I will have to swap the pi out and see, but it works with other source and this one, if the file is playing on the laptop. Again once the file plays on the laptop I can pull the network cable from the laptop and the image is perfect. I can pause, jump forward and backwards and all is well. But if I stop and restart or select another file, the problem is back.........

Insanity can't be far off now. Undecided
MORE UPDATES ........

I have now tried anothe pi2, another sd card and another power supply.

So far I have tried......

3 different sd cards.
2 different rpi2.
3x power supply.

All with identical results.

Everything I find on the web about streaming to pi seems to be about cameras or web streaming. So no clues yet.
Hmmm, you have already sorted out a lot of things.

Did you tried

1) using a different ip address
2) change network port at the switch
3) changed network cable
4) mounting a different share on your NAS (if available)
5) using NFS instead of SAMBA
Hi again!....

1. Yes.
2. Yes (even the switch was off all night due to storm).
3. Yes.
4. Yes (many shares on machines).
5. Never had any luck with than when I tried before, but that was a long time ago....But this all worked a week or so ago and had been for many years...Really strange situation.

I have swapped cat 6 cables at the back of the servers (one to the other).
I have moved other end of above cables to another bank on the switch (24 port gigibit switch).
I have replaced the network cable to the pi with a new and tested cat 5e cable...
I have drunk several beers, but still the video is distorted unless I play the same video on the laptop.

I think this might be a good time for me to renounce all tech things and retire as a hermit to a cave in Southern Europe! Wink
(23rd Apr, 2018 03:48 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Hi again!....

1. Yes.
2. Yes (even the switch was off all night due to storm).
3. Yes.
4. Yes (many shares on machines).
5. Never had any luck with than when I tried before, but that was a long time ago.

Now this is interesting..... Remember I thought it was network related? How can this be explained?
(Clue - note the 'from' addresses) ???
Terminal

xbian@cinema2film ~ $ sudo ping 192.168.1.245
PING 192.168.1.245 (192.168.1.245) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.1.12 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.12 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.12 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.12 icmp_seq=4 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.12 icmp_seq=5 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.12 icmp_seq=6 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.12 icmp_seq=7 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.12 icmp_seq=8 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.12 icmp_seq=9 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.12 icmp_seq=10 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.12 icmp_seq=11 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.12 icmp_seq=12 Destination Host Unreachable

So when I ping server, it is talking to itself???

Don't worry about that, that's normal if ping can not reach destination that's a confusing message
Ping wants to tell you that ping is sending a icmp package from interface (local ip) to destination. That's all

But why is server unreachable?
Opps! - I accodently posted that while trying things to resolve the issue.....sorry. Here is real update...

The ping issue was because when swapping cables I put it in the wrong port of the server (has 2 network connections to allow extra bandwidth, but my switch doesn't support it and it is dark behind the server!).... So now I have good ping from all pi and laptop to server.

I have swapped cat 6 cables at the back of the servers (one to the other) - see above Tongue .
I have moved other end of above cables to another bank on the switch (24 port gigibit switch).
I have replaced the network cable to the pi with a new and tested cat 5e cable...
I have drunk several beers, but still the video is distorted unless I play the same video on the laptop.

I think this might be a good time for me to renounce all tech things and retire as a hermit to a cave in Southern Europe! Wink
(23rd Apr, 2018 04:20 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Opps! - I accodently posted that while trying things to resolve the issue.....sorry. Here is real update...

The ping issue was because when swapping cables I put it in the wrong port of the server (has 2 network connections to allow extra bandwidth, but my switch doesn't support it and it is dark behind the server!).... So now I have good ping from all pi and laptop to server.

I have swapped cat 6 cables at the back of the servers (one to the other) - see above Tongue .

I there anything you haven't done Huh

Quote:I think this might be a good time for me to renounce all tech things and retire as a hermit to a cave in Southern Europe! Wink

At gran canaria there are caves where they make alcoholic drinks Big Grin Maybe a good place for you Cool

BTW, you have a lot IT @ home
(23rd Apr, 2018 04:32 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]I there anything you haven't done Huh
So far I have been reluctant to resort to either...

1. A hammer.
2. Praying to or offering a sacrifice to various gods.
3. Washing the pi in the dishwasher.
4. Washing the server in the dishwasher.
5. Re-soldering all components on all pi and servers just in case.
6. Asking my Mum for advice. ( would probably result in 3 & 4 above).

(23rd Apr, 2018 04:32 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]At gran canaria there are caves where they make alcoholic drinks Big Grin Maybe a good place for you Cool

Yes! - Maybe an option...Bit then *ALL* videos would be distorted (but I'd be so drunk I probably wouldn't care!) %<}

(23rd Apr, 2018 04:32 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]BTW, you have a lot IT @ home
A few years ago I thought that 24 ports would be enough. Now I already have another three 8 port boxes in various rooms and am looking at either another 24 port or a 48 port gigabit switch. It seems that this hobby never ends (like most hobbies, apart from fishing. That seldom changes).....

Ah well, back to the issue at hand.... But what next?
(23rd Apr, 2018 04:48 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Ah well, back to the issue at hand.... But what next?

Do you have any Pi playing videos smoothly from this server?
(23rd Apr, 2018 05:02 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have any Pi playing videos smoothly from this server?

No - Not unless I also play it on laptop before or during streaming.
Do you have a pi2 you could test on ???
(23rd Apr, 2018 05:23 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]
(23rd Apr, 2018 05:02 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have any Pi playing videos smoothly from this server?

No - Not unless I also play it on laptop before or during streaming.
Do you have a pi2 you could test on ???

Sure, I have. Would be funny to mount your NAS via inet Tongue
(23rd Apr, 2018 05:33 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Sure, I have. Would be funny to mount your NAS via inet Tongue

I can open a port - but you might not like what you get Tongue Big Grin Cool
(23rd Apr, 2018 05:49 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]
(23rd Apr, 2018 05:33 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Sure, I have. Would be funny to mount your NAS via inet Tongue
but you might not like what you get Tongue Big Grin Cool

That's not the point Big Grin
I have thought of something I will try tomorrow, OFC I will let you know the result.
Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's