Forum

Full Version: Trying to enable 64 bit kernel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am running a RPI3+ and I am trying to enable the 64 bit kernel. When I click to enable, I get an error that says cannot save this setting. What do I need to do to install the 64 bit kernel?
Or can add arm_64bit=1 to the boot config.txt file
Adding arm_64bit=1 doesn't work as I get a blank screen and I can't ssh in so I assume it never booted up.
I have never tried to switch to 64bit kernel on a Rpi3, because I think that does not help at all

The problem is probably that it comes to an error when saving the setting. Without debug log I can not help you there but unfortunately further
https://pastes.io/hmpbhhcjpy

Here is a link to my debug file

search for installtest no space or the general location
(22nd Sep, 2023 03:14 AM)grandcanyon Wrote: [ -> ]https://pastes.io/hmpbhhcjpy

Here is a link to my debug file

search for installtest no space or the general location
There is something missing in the log, probably just when it gets exciting

The string installtest does not appear in any case
https://0.jaegers.net/?76608be5d45aa1bf#7nX3LcfF1uRuZhZuhUczeyTsetPKdCxSd9Cd4nvaE8cT

It must have got clipped. See above link. I tested the search for installtest
If I interpret the returncode from the installtest correctly, you have already loaded the 64bit kernel package.
However, since some time the 32bit version is also included in this package, and the latest firmware loads the 64bit kernel only on the Raspberry Pi4, all others boot the 32bit kernel.

Returncode 2 means: This package is already installed

Which package do you have installed: linux-image-bcm2836 or linux-image-bcm2837?
I have installed linux-image-bcm2837.

Quote:However, since some time the 32bit version is also included in this package, and the latest firmware loads the 64bit kernel only on the Raspberry Pi4, all others boot the 32bit kernel.

Does this mean I can't use the 64 bit kernel on the Rpi3?
This should actually work if arm_64bit=1 is set in config.txt , when I tested this months ago with a Pi3B+ it also worked.
Why it does not work for you now I can not say. But the fact is that a 64bit kernel on a Pi3 does nothing useful.

I will test this on occasion with my Pi3, but that has lower priority.
(22nd Sep, 2023 08:13 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]This should actually work if arm_64bit=1 is set in config.txt , when I tested this months ago with a Pi3B+ it also worked.
Why it does not work for you now I can not say. But the fact is that a 64bit kernel on a Pi3 does nothing useful.

I will test this on occasion with my Pi3, but that has lower priority.

Thanks it works now. I moved my .kodi and created a new one that allowed the 64 bit kernel to install so now when I set it in the config.txt file it will now boot to the 64 bit kernel. I'm guessing the last time I tried it wasn't installed so it naturally wouldn't boot with 64bit set to 1 without a kernel.
Very good

I also just enabled the 64bit kernel on my Pi3 and it boots fine too
I would not have been able to sleep otherwise Wink
(22nd Sep, 2023 09:06 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Very good

I also just enabled the 64bit kernel on my Pi3 and it boots fine too
I would not have been able to sleep otherwise Wink

Thanks. I know how you feel about the sleep. I'm trying to compile Pytorch. Big Grin

I was hoping to use one of the precompiled whl files for aarch64 but no such luck. I ultimately want to use linux voice control but it needs pytorch and torchvision.

I originally tried google home assistant but it needs a newer version of Python to run the GHA that can run linux commands.
To make it clear again:

Only the kernel is 64bit, everything else is still 32bit. So you will not be able to run 64 bit software because there are no 64bit libraries.

From a theoretical point of view, it should only be possible to run 64 bit applications in docker containers or in a virtual machine, but I haven't tested it.
(27th Sep, 2023 02:20 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]To make it clear again:

Only the kernel is 64bit, everything else is still 32bit. So you will not be able to run 64 bit software because there are no 64bit libraries.

From a theoretical point of view, it should only be possible to run 64 bit applications in docker containers or in a virtual machine, but I haven't tested it.

I figured it was wishful thinking to change to a 64 bit kernel and suddenly I would be able to install the aarch64 wheel file or compile using the 64 bit kernel libs.

Is there a newer version of xbian (like bookworm) that has a newer python and Glibc?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's