Forum
XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 Public testing - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 Public testing (/thread-1077.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 Public testing - mk01 - 4th Jul, 2013 06:34 AM

yes, we have been reviewing this with ididium today and just now I committed. so maybe you can revert back to "old" repo and apt-get clean; apt-get update; apt-get upgrade

RE: XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 Public testing - Smultie - 4th Jul, 2013 06:37 AM

(4th Jul, 2013 06:34 AM)mk01 Wrote:  yes, we have been reviewing this with ididium today and just now I committed. so maybe you can revert back to "old" repo and apt-get clean; apt-get update; apt-get upgrade

Which one would be the ”old" one?

RE: XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 Public testing - mk01 - 4th Jul, 2013 06:54 AM

(4th Jul, 2013 06:12 AM)Smultie Wrote:  Great, now I keep getting messages

Mounted removable harddrive
Sucesssfully removed device

all the time

update debs and remove noauto from /etc/fstab (for now)

RE: XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 Public testing - Vegar - 4th Jul, 2013 07:09 AM

My 256 MB model B pi seems to be running out of memory every now and then, which often results in the entire system freezing.

I have modified /etc/default/zram-swap as described above, SIZE is set to 64.

According to htop and swapon -s I only have the 64 MB of swap that zram supplies. It's not even possible to run apt-get install while xbmc is running.

As this is quite annoying, I'd like to extend my swap to a swapfile on an external USB device (or even the old /var/swapfile solution). How can I do this? Is there a configurable option somewhere?

RE: XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 Public testing - doug - 4th Jul, 2013 07:57 AM

(4th Jul, 2013 04:31 AM)mk01 Wrote:  
(4th Jul, 2013 04:28 AM)doug Wrote:  Apparently it was an ID10T error. Blush It was a typo in my hosts file.
Sorry!

no problem. and i'm interested, can you tell more? what you have in hosts file?
It was just a comma instead of a period in the ip address. Hence the ID10T=me error. My eyes must be getting bad with age.

RE: XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 Public testing - mk01 - 4th Jul, 2013 08:50 AM

(4th Jul, 2013 07:57 AM)doug Wrote:  It was just a comma instead of a period in the ip address. Hence the ID10T=me error. My eyes must be getting bad with age.

i don't want to blame you. i'm really asking what was the technical reason, that xbmc using libnfs and looking for nfs via bonjour/zeroconf can not see remote nfsd server because of /etc/hosts entry.

this stuff should be working without any record in /etc/hosts, beside the 127.0.0.1 for case of not network at all should be hosts file useless. but apparently not. and that is what i'm asking Wink

(4th Jul, 2013 07:09 AM)Vegar Wrote:  As this is quite annoying, I'd like to extend my swap to a swapfile on an external USB device (or even the old /var/swapfile solution). How can I do this? Is there a configurable option somewhere?

yes, 256 version is worth throwing to waste Big Grin

get 1.0-3.1 version of zram-swap package. there is fixed bug around file swap use.

otherwise, you can try the "partswap" parameter in cmdline.txt (as written in opening post - it will create swap partition on your sd card) or you can plug usb drive with existing partition marked as swap and it will be recognized and used.

1.0-3.1 is on git, or "http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com wheezy main"

config file to zram-swap is at /etc/default/zram-swap where you can set the file name as well. but again, 1.0-3.1

(4th Jul, 2013 06:37 AM)Smultie Wrote:  Which one would be the ”old" one?

http://ivka57 .... <= there are always daily (hourly) snapshots

RE: XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 Public testing - xraxor - 4th Jul, 2013 06:21 PM

I tested yesterday a bit the latest, now I get the popup about the hdd being mounted on xbmc, so its good again, but in Alpha 5 the external would go to sleep after 5 min, now it doesn't happen. how do I go on to fix this?

also, while watching some online live tv, one link pauses after like 10 secs from start and makes this strange noise as if when a PC hangs, after that noise sometimes it continues playing but sometimes it loses the audio. its quite annoying, and never happened in Alpha 5 with the tv links and all

RE: XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 Public testing - Skywatch - 6th Jul, 2013 07:22 PM

I tried to upgrade from 1A5 to this last night by SSHing into the pi and performing the commands on the first post of this thread (cut and pasted so no errors). I then rebooted the pi and......nothing. Can't ssh in any more.

I will have a look on the pi today and see if there is anything I can do directly on the pi.

Skywatch

Re: RE: XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 Public testing - rikardo1979 - 6th Jul, 2013 08:53 PM

(6th Jul, 2013 07:22 PM)Skywatch Wrote:  I tried to upgrade from 1A5 to this last night by SSHing into the pi and performing the commands on the first post of this thread (cut and pasted so no errors). I then rebooted the pi and......nothing. Can't ssh in any more.

I will have a look on the pi today and see if there is anything I can do directly on the pi.

Skywatch

was it just fresh Alpha5 or did you have any updates/upgrades on top of it?
What was the XBMC build?
All this information may help developers a lot so as always, if you can please provide as much as you can.
-thx-

RE: XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 Public testing - Skywatch - 6th Jul, 2013 09:07 PM

I take it all back - It DID work! (with an issue)...

I got to the pi today and surprisingly it was up and showing the main screen. I checked the version and it was now at 1B1.1. So why it vanished off the network after the upgrade I don't know!

But now my HDD shows up 3 times in the listing. Once as a 16 digit string, then again as USB0 and also as USB1. Is this right? They all show the same directory structure.

The Xbian config screen is also now very hard to navigate as all the titles seem to be long and confusing.

But even after all that I like it. It's MUCH faster booting and the reboot screen is a nice touch !

Sorry for any confusion.

Skywatch

RE: XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 Public testing - mk01 - 7th Jul, 2013 10:48 AM

(6th Jul, 2013 09:07 PM)Skywatch Wrote:  But now my HDD shows up 3 times in the listing. Once as a 16 digit string, then again as USB0 and also as USB1. Is this right? They all show the same directory structure.

some people complained, that the label + uuid is too long. so they asked about shortcuts again.

both approaches makes sense. long and static to build library on it, short and "doesn't matter static" just as quick view or preview, what's on the card.

so, ... probably I will keep LABEL/UUID in the media as it is standard on most linux distributions and will put put LINK (USBx) somewhere. maybe /mnt. but this was always meant to be as one single tmp mount point for direct mounting of one device.

(6th Jul, 2013 09:07 PM)Skywatch Wrote:  then again as USB0 and also as USB1. Is this right? They all show the same

btw: usb0 and usb1 pointing to the same static mount, is not desired. the "designed" logic was static mount + usbX as shortcut.

I will check.

RE: XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 Public testing - mk01 - 7th Jul, 2013 12:28 PM

ok, so ver 1.0-0.6, on git or my repo.

"fix for duplicate symlinks and user definable directories to keep static names (mount points) in and symlinks (USBx)".

so the /media folder can be customized, independently for the static names and symlinks. it's up to the user, where it will be placed.
config file is at /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf

Re: XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 Public testing - f1vefour - 7th Jul, 2013 01:55 PM

Great work mk01, updated from Alpha5 on USB without a hitch (well I must reconfigure my IR remote). Surprised it went so smooth being everything is on USB. One question though, shouldn't /boot be umounted after a successful bootup?

RE: XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 Public testing - mk01 - 7th Jul, 2013 02:09 PM

(7th Jul, 2013 01:55 PM)f1vefour Wrote:  Great work mk01, updated from Alpha5 on USB without a hitch (well I must reconfigure my IR remote). Surprised it went so smooth being everything is on USB. One question though, shouldn't /boot be umounted after a successful bootup?

it was meant not. but other "issues - like xbmc (not configurable?) hot plugging" are forcing us until solution to again have it auto mounted on boot.

please edit your /etc/fstab by removing "noajto" from /boot. It's not yet in published update, but will be soon. without this, last update of config-xbmc will not work at all, other utils will trigger constant popups on xbmc screen.

and I'm glad someone noticed Wink the independence on rootfs partition location needed rewrite almost of all components. although from outside it looks still like the Alpha5, from inside we changed almost everything. so beta1 is like "with all the changes, try to make it work as before". later updates will slowly introduce features and benefits from the changes.

(6th Jul, 2013 09:07 PM)Skywatch Wrote:  I take it all back - It DID work! (with an issue)...

I got to the pi today and surprisingly it was up and showing the main screen. I checked the version and it was now at 1B1.1. So why it vanished off the network after the upgrade I don't know!

filesystem is converted from ext4 to btrfs upon reboot. some users reported this to take even as much as 40 minutes (depends on size of roots, speed of the device, utilization etc).

Re: XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 Public testing - f1vefour - 7th Jul, 2013 02:15 PM

No worries, just remembered reading /boot was going to be umounted or mounted ro.

Once again, I am very impressed by the rapid leap forward from beta1. Especially a near flawless upgrade, I can tell you guys have been very busy squashing bugs.

Great job team xbian Cool