Forum
Doesn't boot after apt-get upgrade - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Doesn't boot after apt-get upgrade (/thread-2369.html)

Doesn't boot after apt-get upgrade - Ali3n0id - 29th Jun, 2014 10:27 PM

I'm trying to configure a working setup of xbian with a USB TV Tuner - and ran apt-get upgrade from Xbian 1.0 RC2.

The update seemed to be fine, however after rebooting it just stays on the red light with a underscore '_' cursor at the top of the screen.

Really hope there is a solution to this, I have spent hours configuring XBMC and addons - don't want to do it again!

RE: Doesn't boot after apt-get upgrade - IriDium - 30th Jun, 2014 04:16 AM

Xbian provides two excellent backup solutions. Whole image and Home backup. I guess you didn't use any of these?

See if you can read the /boot directory from the SD card - Windoze, MAc or Linux and post the output from config.txt and cmdline.txt

RE: Doesn't boot after apt-get upgrade - Ali3n0id - 30th Jun, 2014 07:17 AM

I backed up my XBMC settings. Is there a way to back up /etc/ or copy from the SD card from a linux install? If of course this SD card is no rescuable...

I have tried disabling splash and changing the overclock as well to not effect...

My cmdline.txt

Quote:telnet zswap.enabled=1 zswap.compressor=lz4 sdhci-bcm2708.sync_after_dma=0 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootflags=subvol=root/@,thread_pool=2,autodefrag,compress=lzo,commit=120 rootfstype=btrfs rootwait smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N elevator=cfq logo.nologo quiet noswap loglevel=0 mod_scsi.scan=sync partswap startevent=mountall splash nohdparm --startup-event mountall

My [modified] config.txt

Quote:initramfs initramfs.gz 0x0a000000
gpu_mem_512=256
gpu_mem_256=128
initial_turbo=1
disable_splash=0
decode_MPG2=0xaa26eb81
arm_freq=840
core_freq=275
sdram_freq=400
over_voltage=0

Also a screenshot of the file on the boot section

http://gyazo.com/dd1ae0b2de22355a1424f9e1e57c167e

RE: Doesn't boot after apt-get upgrade - IriDium - 30th Jun, 2014 09:03 PM

Try... Make a backup of config.txt and cmdline.txt
1) Add debug to cmdline.txt, reboot and see what appears.
2) Add rescue to cmdline.txt, reboot and view dmesg
3) Remove initramfs... from config.txt, reboot and see what happens.

RE: Doesn't boot after apt-get upgrade - Ali3n0id - 1st Jul, 2014 12:22 AM

(30th Jun, 2014 09:03 PM)IriDium Wrote:  Try... Make a backup of config.txt and cmdline.txt
1) Add debug to cmdline.txt, reboot and see what appears.
2) Add rescue to cmdline.txt, reboot and view dmesg
3) Remove initramfs... from config.txt, reboot and see what happens.

The first two didn't do anything but...

Superb after deleting 'initramfs initramfs.gz 0x0a000000' - The pi boots up correctly and into Xbian/XBMC.

Thank you! Is there anything I need to do now (apart from another good backup) ?

RE: Doesn't boot after apt-get upgrade - IriDium - 1st Jul, 2014 01:02 AM

Great - it worked. No, that should be all, obviously remove all other changes you made to config.txt and cmdline.txt.

Also change gpu_mem_256=100 and gpu_mem_512=128

One can never have enough backups :-)

RE: Doesn't boot after apt-get upgrade - mk01 - 2nd Jul, 2014 07:56 AM

and RECREATE initramfs.gz with command:

Code:
sudo -i
xbian-update-initramfs

RE: Doesn't boot after apt-get upgrade - Ali3n0id - 4th Jul, 2014 02:18 AM

Thanks so much guys, I owe you both a big thank you.

Only problem is with the sudo -i + xbian-update-initramfs, it generates the new initramfs then on reboot it has the original problem of not being able to boot.

RE: Doesn't boot after apt-get upgrade - mk01 - 4th Jul, 2014 02:24 AM

@Ali3n0id

this one is sorted out with latest initramfs-tool package (1.3.4-12).

the problem was in the memory segment where initramfs is loaded. it must have been changed with firmware RPI or kernel... simply address we used for months just stopped to work (rpi doesn't boot).

try edit config.txt change the hexa number on first line to 0x1000000. this is what works for my tests. if not for you report it back and comment that line (put # at beggining).

that should be the only problem.

RE: Doesn't boot after apt-get upgrade - Ali3n0id - 21st Jul, 2014 02:53 AM

Okay as in

'initramfs initramfs.gz 0x1000000'

Or

'0x1000000'

Also I want to transfer xbian to a USB2 Hard Drive I tried to write an .img file and left it for 24 Hours and it still hasn't completed so I'm guessing this SD card is awfully slow.

What's the easiest way to transfer XBian to a 500GB Hard Drive? via xbian-config?

RE: Doesn't boot after apt-get upgrade - mk01 - 6th Aug, 2014 11:20 AM

@Ali3n0id

yes, use the copier from xbian-config

((there have been issues with various kernel versions, or the tool itself etc - be sure you have newest possible kernel (I would prefer 3.15.6+ from staging and actual xbian-pakcage-config-shell))