Forum
Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: CuBox-i / Hummingboard (/forum-66.html)
+--- Forum: Test builds (/forum-71.html)
+--- Thread: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread (/thread-2607.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - IriDium - 20th Feb, 2015 01:56 AM

@zilexa I had something similar. I just installed firstly all the non lib ones like "mount" etc. Then the non critical xbian ones (If I got an error I went onto the next one). Eventually all had installed except the firmware one.

So I'm now on KOdi 14.2-Beta1 (Which is a Beta behind RPi 2) Feb 15 2015 Kernel 3.14.28+

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - zilexa - 20th Feb, 2015 06:55 PM

That is really not working for me. I have tried a couple of times but I get the same error I got in the beginning:

I did not select any of the packages in that picture! Even if I only select mount I get that error! With the 6feb image. Please help Sad

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - IriDium - 21st Feb, 2015 01:49 AM

(20th Feb, 2015 06:55 PM)zilexa Wrote:  That is really not working for me. I have tried a couple of times but I get the same error I got in the beginning:

I did not select any of the packages in that picture! Even if I only select mount I get that error! With the 6feb image. Please help Sad

Try upgrading xbian-update and imx6 packages and see if that helps. I can't remember exactly what I did. If I get the chance, I'll flash a new image and try again.

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - zilexa - 21st Feb, 2015 02:40 AM

- Xbian update --> worked
- Linux img --> worked

- mount still did not work after that --> same error as screenshot.
- Then I tried to install all xbian-... updates and that worked (I had transmisssion installed, this package was automatically removed during the update).

- Then tried all XServer packages --> same error as screenshot.
- Then tried mount again --> worked!
- all other non-lib and non-Xserver and non imx firmware --> same error as screenshot
- grep, bdsutils only --> worked!
- systemd, python, sudo, ntp --> worked!
- udev, util-linux (the only 2 remaining non-lib, non-Xserver, non-firmware) --> worked! though I saw 2 warnings just before util-linux finished installing, same ones appeared when udev was finished:

- After this, only the firmware, libs and Xserver packages are remaining. When I only select libs, it says they are already installed (but they stay in the list of upgradeable packages).

- Now a few more tests with Xserver:
Xserver common --> this is the one that leads to the error!
Xserver core --> this one says "you already have a newer version"
Xserver mouse and synaptics --> says its already installed

System is now rebooting, hopefully Kodi will work flawless now.

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - IriDium - 21st Feb, 2015 02:48 AM

Glad you "eventually" got somewhere. It's not what we want - it should just upgrade without all this faffing about.

I think I had to reboot after the Xserver install and then upgraded again.

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - zilexa - 23rd Feb, 2015 04:21 AM

FULL EDIT:
The trakt addon kills video playback. Disabling it does not do the trick. Uninstalling Trakt does. I don't know why this happens. It also did not sync my watched statuses after Kodi scanned all video files (fresh install).

Contrary to what I first thought, Xbian does playback videos fine!

It does seem like strange things happen after a reboot. Though Kodi system info shows it has network connection and IP, I cannot connect via SSH after a reboot, have to wait a couple of minutes. Also esata is not mounted the first few minutes. But after a while everything does seem to work.

edit2:
something is going wrong, could be a Kodi bug introduced in 14.2, it wasn't in 14.0. Or it's an Xbian/Cubox-i issue. Not sure so I created a ticket: https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/686

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - zilexa - 23rd Feb, 2015 07:47 PM

For me Xbian crashes every time I hit the stop button during video stream playback. Ssh login still works but a reboot via ssh doesn't work. I have to physically unplug power. Ticket has been updated: https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/686

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - IriDium - 2nd Mar, 2015 03:34 AM

I've just upgraded again with the same hassle. Again, it's select each one, trying something else again if it fails. Eventually I got to firmware-imx and libdrm2.

These two will not install because of a downgrade issue.

It could be solved by sudo apt-get -u -o APT::Force-LoopBreak=1 install firmware-imx

BUT I haven't tried it yet: Do so at you're own risk. If it does work, then the rest of the upgrade should finish.

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - zilexa - 2nd Mar, 2015 06:57 PM

I still have the issue where hdmi(?) Connection sometimes breaks after playing a local video. I have to reboot the xbmc process via SSH.
When playing a stream, it always breaks and restarting xbmc via SSH is not enough.

I never had these issues with Openelec/Kodi14.0. That was the most stable combination ever for me.

Is it possible to have this Xbian build install Kodi 14.0 by default? Or are these really 100% XBian issues?

I've posted everything on Github with logs etc.

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - IriDium - 11th Mar, 2015 01:03 AM

Using the latest image from the XBian installer 20150304.

Installed fine, and all upgrades went without a hitch. I even got it to boot off of a USB drive, so something must have been done right.

Congrats to all involved.

**** However ****

I've noticed that it fails to boot if you have additional USB drives attached. Boot USB in Cubox-i others on Hub. Under investigation.
System totally unresponsive when running "Scan for new content" 100% wait on Sda1.
Superrepo link still points to Gotham not helix
No default skin setup - defaults to NONE even though confluence is installed

Next task to see if I can get it to boot from a SSD via esata

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - CurlyMo - 11th Mar, 2015 02:41 AM

@IriDium, can you let us know what image did worked perfectly, then i'll label it stable.

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - IriDium - 11th Mar, 2015 02:48 AM

@CurlyMo - It was the latest from the Xbian-Installer under Ubuntu. xbian-config shows 20150304-2 if that helps.

Upgraded with staging active. And all went well.

Only odd thing is systemd-logind[2037]: Failed to start user service: Unknown unit: user@1000.service in dmesg. Is this an Xbian thing or a add-on? If the latter I need to investigate which one is calling it.

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - f1vefour - 11th Mar, 2015 03:51 PM

I get the same error on rpi 2 jessie.

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - IriDium - 17th Mar, 2015 02:33 AM

On my working (I.e. the one I use as my media centre - 20141203) - no I won't upgrade as it works the way I want it to) I've noticed that the swapiness is set to 70.

This seems to me, to be excessive, especially with the CB having 1Gb or 2Gb depending on the model.

Is this a value that was set in the early days on the original RPi and has never been adjusted?

I've never noticed any swap on my CB-i with 2G of memory, but I do wonder if the same value exists on RPi2 and RPi B+

Yes, I know I can change it, but should we look at this value, especially as most RPi's have more memory.

However, is this possible to set a value depending on the amount of memory available, whilst supporting multiple configurations?

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - IriDium - 18th Mar, 2015 02:15 AM

I've found that you can improve the performance (If it is even required) by changing the swappiness value.

By default it is set to 70 which means that the system will start swapping fairly often

The value set can be seen by:
Terminal
cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

I've found that setting this to 10 reduces the swapping to almost nil when using just XBian. Obviously each system is different so a bit of tweaking maybe needed.

To set the value temporarily:
Terminal
sudo sysctl vm.swappiness=yy
(Where yy is between 0 (don't swap) and 100 (Always swap))

To get an idea of the new value, it might be necessary to refresh the swap file with:
Terminal
sudo swapoff -a & sudo swapon -a

To set the value permanently:
Terminal
sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf
and add to the bottom of the file
vm.swappiness=yy (Where yy is between 0 (don't swap) and 100 (Always swap))

I'm sure this also applies to the RPi2 - not sure about the RPi A,B and+models.