Forum
Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: CuBox-i / Hummingboard (/forum-66.html)
+--- Forum: Test builds (/forum-71.html)
+--- Thread: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread (/thread-2607.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - Exnor - 15th May, 2015 01:03 AM

(14th May, 2015 06:48 PM)IriDium Wrote:  @Exnor not too sure of the difference in price, but I always go for the best, if I can afford it.

However, using an I4Pro for just Xbian, I never need anywhere near the 2G Ram, nor the 4 CPU's, so I reckon the cheapest will do as a basic box. I've never seen a need for the extra 1G Ram (Normal usage is around 400M).

The only thing I wish it had was Wireless 5Ghz - not sure if the newer model has this support built in yet. Also, it won't play H265 without a bit of stutter and all 4 cores at max.

Mind you the TV model doesn't have wifi nor bluetooth.

I'd also check if any models have USB3, if not look at a model with eSata if you need that extra speed.

The biggest bottleneck is the I/O on the SD card, not the Cubox.

Thanks for the input mate.

Wifi is not a dealbreaker for me since (and you can see on the photos section, my current setup) i use cabled LAN.
The eSATA would be nice, but does the unit boots from the SATA controller?

Oh and i was not expecting H265 decoding lool. i just want something with more "juice" than my rPi model 1 B... I still plan to go with Xbian and just to HTPC usage. No torrents or other programs running, just the OS, Kodi and necessary services like in the Pi.
I expect that the GUI performance is better than on the rPi (is it?) and it can decode higher bitrates (AVC) with better performance.

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - IriDium - 15th May, 2015 08:46 PM

@Exnor - You could always try an RPi2 - It has the CPU and RAM to run Xbian very nicely. The Cubox has advantages. powered USB, is smaller and is much slicker on the menus.

No idea about the eSata boot - my next project.
I've have managed to boot from an external SDD via USB

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - Exnor - 18th May, 2015 02:46 AM

(15th May, 2015 08:46 PM)IriDium Wrote:  @Exnor - You could always try an RPi2 - It has the CPU and RAM to run Xbian very nicely. The Cubox has advantages. powered USB, is smaller and is much slicker on the menus.

No idea about the eSata boot - my next project.
I've have managed to boot from an external SDD via USB

Yes i was considering the Pi2 also, but the unit + case is almost as expensive as the full Cubox kit where i live...

Is the current distro stable for the Pi2?

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - CurlyMo - 18th May, 2015 06:49 AM

Yes it is.

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - Exnor - 18th May, 2015 11:29 PM

(18th May, 2015 06:49 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Yes it is.

Thanks Smile i think i'm going for the Pi 2 then.

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - didlich - 21st May, 2015 07:16 AM

@IriDium, I have the same issues installing XBian_2015.05.16_imx6.img.gz on a SanDisk Extreme Pro 8GB Class 1 SDHC, but also with SanDisk 2 GB

I used now XBian_2015.04.25_imx6.img, which works on SanDisk 2 GB, but not on SanDisk Extreme Pro 8GB Class 1 SDHC

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - zilexa - 25th May, 2015 07:47 PM

(1st May, 2015 10:02 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  @didlich, Did you post your issues on github already?

@CurlyMo, I just created a new bug report, not sure if that was the hold up to fix the boot issues. Is it an idea to team up with OpenElec or with the guy from GeeXBox to figure out why this is happening? I do not have 2 or 4 GB sd cards, only 8 and it does not make sense to me that I cannot use XBian because my card is 'too big'.

@didlich, if you have the ability to post some logfiles in the issue would be appreciated: https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/730

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - zilexa - 11th Jun, 2015 06:17 AM

I had spare time so I got a secondary 8GB microSD and downloaded the latest image XBian_2015.06.06_imx6 and inserted it in the Cubox i4-Pro. Thats all I did.

Result (on the tv):

and I cannot SSH.

It really does not make sense, to release new images weekly without verifying them first. When a release at least boots, you can release it. But if any release afterwards does not boot, don't put it online.
No other open source project that I know of releases new images for weeks and weeks while none of the images actually boot.
I understand they are automatically generated, which costs energy and resources and both are wasted. Perhaps but the generation of the imx.6 builds on hold.

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - CurlyMo - 11th Jun, 2015 07:00 AM

Please report on github.

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - zilexa - 12th Jun, 2015 04:42 AM

I have updated https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/730

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - angelusninja - 17th Jun, 2015 12:45 PM

Latest image works on micro sd kingston 8gb class 4, it doesn't work on sandisk ultra micro sd hc class 10 8gb

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - zilexa - 18th Jun, 2015 06:29 PM

I can confirm, Sandisk Utra class 10 microSDHC with a little "I" mark on it doesn't work.
Transcend 8GB microSDHC class 6 does work!!

The Sandisk is 7.39GB, the Transcend is 7.46GB.

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - zilexa - 18th Jun, 2015 09:59 PM

Unfortunately playback is not what it should be Sad
https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/739
  • video is clearly fuzzy/unsharp compared to playback using OpenElec 5.0.8. Even high res 1080p bluray material looks not 100% sharp as it used to. I tested with normal hdtv (non720p) material and with 300:Rise of an Empire Bluray 1080p backup of 18GB. It is definitely unsharp overall. Can anyone confirm?
  • Kodi UI looked a bit streched, calibration via Settings>System>Video seemed to fix it, the square was too wide.
  • without messing with settings, normal hdtv material like Big Bang Theory (non-720p) shows black bars. I have never seen that with such material. Not by default. When I check Video settings in playback mode "VIEW MODE = Normal". This is what I am used to. but I have to change it to "stretch 16:9" to get full screen video. Can anyone confirm?
    When I play a 1080p bluray, I get extra fat black bars and need to use "original size" to get normal black bars and people with normal faces. Normally, I never even had to touch that setting. Is this a Kodi bug? Can anyone confirm?
  • Subtitles seem a bit big/stretched (even after calibration).
  • Audio output is by default set to "Analog out" which does not exist at all on a Cubox-i, perhaps on a Hummingbird? Default should be HDMI as that is what most people use. It can be confusing, because you will not hear audio and not know why that is (Settings>System>Audio, change to HDMI or SPDIF and reboot).

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - Smultie - 19th Jun, 2015 03:18 AM

(18th Jun, 2015 09:59 PM)zilexa Wrote:  Unfortunately playback is not what it should be Sad
https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/739
  • video is clearly fuzzy/unsharp compared to playback using OpenElec 5.0.8. Even high res 1080p bluray material looks not 100% sharp as it used to. I tested with normal hdtv (non720p) material and with 300:Rise of an Empire Bluray 1080p backup of 18GB. It is definitely unsharp overall. Can anyone confirm?
  • Kodi UI looked a bit streched, calibration via Settings>System>Video seemed to fix it, the square was too wide.
  • without messing with settings, normal hdtv material like Big Bang Theory (non-720p) shows black bars. I have never seen that with such material. Not by default. When I check Video settings in playback mode "VIEW MODE = Normal". This is what I am used to. but I have to change it to "stretch 16:9" to get full screen video. Can anyone confirm?
    When I play a 1080p bluray, I get extra fat black bars and need to use "original size" to get normal black bars and people with normal faces. Normally, I never even had to touch that setting. Is this a Kodi bug? Can anyone confirm?
  • Subtitles seem a bit big/stretched (even after calibration).
  • Audio output is by default set to "Analog out" which does not exist at all on a Cubox-i, perhaps on a Hummingbird? Default should be HDMI as that is what most people use. It can be confusing, because you will not hear audio and not know why that is (Settings>System>Audio, change to HDMI or SPDIF and reboot).

Nvm me....

RE: Official CuBox-i XBian 1.0 RC3 Thread - angelusninja - 19th Jun, 2015 10:01 AM

My hdd esata is mounted by xbian plug and play.