Forum
[SOLVED] Update Problem latest version - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Update Problem latest version (/thread-3402.html)

Update Problem latest version - Axonic - 26th Feb, 2016 02:59 PM

Morning Xbian Com,

first of all I am sorry for you, because you gone read the worst Englisch of your life but i gone try my best.

So I got a Problem with Upgrading my Rasp 2 with Kodi 15.2 Isengard to Kodi 16.0 Jarvis.

I try many steps/ways to solve the problem by my own but nothing works and now i have no idea what to do next(please notice that my Linux knowledge is... well I got no knowledge on Linux command to be honestly. I dont even know how to move throw Files and what even this "sudo" command means)

1st try) I logged with Putty on my Rasp and then i try the command sudo apt-get upgrade but this dont helped me alot. It load something called jessie but my Version of Kodi stay on 15.2 and the sudo apt-get update say 0 Updates to install

2nd) I try straight over Kodi on the Xbian Section on the Settings menu but this didnt work too.

3rd) I load from the Website the latest img called XBian_2016.02.21_rpi2 and put it with the Windows Installer on the SD Card but version stay on 15.2

4) Then i try to install it with the Android method and add the source mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/arm/ but ofc this aint work too

5.) I try the Kodibutnu method but this aint work too.

You see i try many things before I open a thread. But now I dont have any idea left that I can make to update Kodi to the latest version, so I hope that someone can help me with the Problem

RE: Update Problem latest version - Nachteule - 27th Feb, 2016 12:35 AM

Our latest release of Kodi Jarvis has not been put to stable repository. To get it, you have to do follwing steps

1) Enable staging repo in file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbian.list by sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbian.list
and uncomment the staging line. The file should then be like this:
Code:
deb mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt      stable  main rpi2-jessie
deb mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt  staging main rpi2-jessie
### deb mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt  devel   main rpi2-jessie

2) sudo stop xbmc

3) sudo apt-get update
This will refresh repositories

4) sudo apt-get upgrade
This will update at least the xbian-package-xbmc and some cec packages

5) sudo start xbmc

RE: Update Problem latest version - Axonic - 27th Feb, 2016 04:01 PM

Thank you very much for your Guide Smile

it took me a while to find how to save the uncomment text on the nano Editor but after that it upgrades fine to 16.0.

Thank you Nachteule Smile

RE: Update Problem latest version - WishX - 29th Feb, 2016 05:57 AM

Greetings!

I'm trying to migrate from OpenELEC and having some trouble with upgrades.

The last imx6 image was XBian_2016.02.06_imx6.img.gz on 2016-02-06. It installs fine (but doesn't recognize my remote), and when I run upgrades (Update All) from within Xbian, it won't boot afterwards. Just a black screen.

Is there a repo that can be enabled to make the upgrade work like the rpi2-jessie solution above or will/can we get a new imx6 build for Cubox-i/Hummingboard soon? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

RE: Update Problem latest version - Nachteule - 29th Feb, 2016 08:18 AM

It can be done exactly like the RPi2 (the difference is the repo: rpi2 for RPi2, imx6 for Cubox-i/Hummingboard)

Does your Cubox-i boot after a power-off?

RE: Update Problem latest version - WishX - 29th Feb, 2016 08:52 AM

(29th Feb, 2016 08:18 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Does your Cubox-i boot after a power-off?

After I upgrade, no. After the upgrade, it says a reboot is necessary, so I do, then nothing. I pull the power cord, plug the power back in and it's just a black screen. The red light is on and the external drive spins up, but nothing on the screen. It just doesn't boot at all.

RE: Update Problem latest version - Nachteule - 29th Feb, 2016 10:31 AM

hmm, wtf Angry

If once you get it booting, please install the previous kernel 4.3.x. Seems that kernel 4.4.x has serious problems on cubox-i Sad

One user reported on IRC (having similar problems) that he is able to boot the cubox-i after doing an e2fsck from the boot partition. Could you please try this?

RE: Update Problem latest version - WishX - 29th Feb, 2016 11:26 AM

(29th Feb, 2016 10:31 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  If once you get it booting, please install the previous kernel 4.3.x. Seems that kernel 4.4.x has serious problems on cubox-i Sad

If I use the installer and boot without upgrading, it works pretty well (except for my remotes). If I upgrade, it's toast. There's no rolling back to another kernel.

Quote:One user reported on IRC (having similar problems) that he is able to boot the cubox-i after doing an e2fsck from the boot partition. Could you please try this?

How would I go about doing that? I'm not a complete noob, but I'm also not terribly advanced, so basic instructions should do it. I'm just more familiar with how OpenELEC does things with their partition(s) and such. Also, the cubox-i is connected to a television, so I'd have to SSH/Putty in to do anything.

Thanks.

RE: Update Problem latest version - Nachteule - 29th Feb, 2016 12:30 PM

To do this it is necessary to connect the sd card directly to your linux pc (by an usb sd-card reader)

On the sd card there are 3 partitions:
1: ext2 boot partition
2. btrfs root partition
3. swap partition

from your computer run e2fsck /dev/sdX1
(X is the device letter from the sd card, use fdisk -l to figure out which is the right one)

I removed the 4.4 kernel from the stable repo, so upgrading should be save now

RE: Update Problem latest version - IriDium - 29th Feb, 2016 11:20 PM

In this scenario - kodi is running but not being displayed - restarting the service shows the background and the cursor in the top left corner but nothing else.

I did notice that OE are no longer supplying updates to cubox-i because of an issue just like this - not being compatible with the new kernel.

e2fsck on /xbianboot showed as clean. Didn't make any difference on booting.

Everything seemed to be fine before the upgrade. So will "redo from start" just not upgrade the kernel.

Everything seems to work Ok from "staging" - Jarvis - just stayed on kernel 4.3.3

RE: Update Problem latest version - WishX - 1st Mar, 2016 05:53 AM

(29th Feb, 2016 11:20 PM)IriDium Wrote:  Everything seemed to be fine before the upgrade. So will "redo from start" just not upgrade the kernel.

I'll try this too and report back.

RE: Update Problem latest version - WishX - 1st Mar, 2016 10:44 AM

I didn't have to change anything. I loaded the imx6 image from the Downloads section, booted up, connected to WiFi, ran updates and rebooted with no problem (since you removed the 4.4 kernel). Now to get the remote working...

RE: Update Problem latest version - WishX - 3rd Mar, 2016 06:21 AM

Rut ro... My cubox just updated and uname -a now says:
Code:
Linux xbian 4.4.3+rt+ #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Mar 2 13:32:44 CET 2016 armv71 GNU/Linux

I'm remoting in from work and SSH works, but I can't see the screen so I don't know if Kodi is actually being displayed or not. Did the 4.4.x kernel with cubox issue get resolved since Natchtuele removed 4.4 from the stable repo?

RE: Update Problem latest version - Nachteule - 3rd Mar, 2016 06:35 AM

There are some updates in u-boot code, so probably the issue is solved

You can simply check if kodi runs by doing a

Code:
sudo status xbmc