Forum

Full Version: Boot XBian from USB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Exactly the same for me, network started.... and hangs[/align]
Please can somebody help me what to do ????
(20th Feb, 2014 04:27 AM)francescosoft Wrote: [ -> ]Please can somebody help me what to do ????

Do you still have the installation on SD?
I have a quetsion, I now (allmost) have a fully updated xbian 1.0 beta 2 on my sd. I want to run from usb and sd, and am planning to use the clone function in xbian-config and change the cmdline.txt to sda1. but my question, how do I need to format my usb before this whole procedure? (ext4? FAT? FAT32?)
@NitSuA It shouldn't matter as the SD card will be reformatted by the clone function to btrfs. I generally use FAT32 for the USB drive and have never had a problem.
I also have the "network started" issue, system hangs during boot on that screen.. how can we fix this?
and this happens upon cloning the install to usb and running from there ?
This happens after a fully update of the system, after cloning to sda1 from the ssl xbian-config, and after changing cmdline.txt to sda1. When all that is done and you reboot, this error (network hang) occurs. Using ssl to acces the pi will say something like: connection refused. Thnx for your help!!

[heads-up]
So, I did find a solution, based on one of the previous posts (other way around).
  • Clean install of Xbian 1.0 beta 2
  • Format USB as FAT 32
  • Goto SSL and clone to USB
  • change cmdline.txt to root=LABEL=xbian-copy (xbian will format USB to BTRFS, so this will take a while)
  • reboot -> boots ;-)
  • Goto SSL and update system, till you get the autofs error
  • Reboot again
  • Continue update in SSL (xbian-config)
  • Result -> Fully updated and bootable system from USB
It is a workaround though, but I'm very happy!!
[/heads-up]
Any news about this issue? Impossible to copy beta2 and booting from it still.
I've had the network starting error before. I solved it by unplugging the ethernet/Wifi and the booting. After Xbian started correctly, replug, reboot and all seemed to be fine.

To use USB on RC1 I have found that it is best to install Beta 2, use the xbian-config clone function to copy to USB, and then upgrade to RC1
Is it possible to create a second partition on an external USB drive (8GB in a 2TB), and clone XBIAN to that partition?
(12th Mar, 2014 09:40 AM)SolGarlic Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to create a second partition on an external USB drive (8GB in a 2TB), and clone XBIAN to that partition?

Sure.
Personally I have found using an 8G flash drive (Only £4 from amazon) is a cheap alternative. I have a USB powered HDD attached but I always want to have my media separate from the OS. This allows the HDD to perform optimally on reads for the media and put the I/O on the flash drive.
Quote:This happens after a fully update of the system, after cloning to sda1 from the ssl xbian-config, and after changing cmdline.txt to sda1. When all that is done and you reboot, this error (network hang) occurs. Using ssl to acces the pi will say something like: connection refused. Thnx for your help!!

[heads-up]
So, I did find a solution, based on one of the previous posts (other way around).

Clean install of Xbian 1.0 beta 2
Format USB as FAT 32
Goto SSL and clone to USB
change cmdline.txt to root=LABEL=xbian-copy (xbian will format USB to BTRFS, so this will take a while)
reboot -> boots ;-)
Goto SSL and update system, till you get the autofs error
Reboot again
Continue update in SSL (xbian-config)
Result -> Fully updated and bootable system from USB

It is a workaround though, but I'm very happy!!
[/heads-up]

Formatting as a FAT32 won't work for me.

So I just used the default for my HDD (NTFS).
@trinaldi it shouldn't matter what the format is as the clone function will reformat it as BTRFS. Fat32 is normal for use with USB Flash drives which don't support (Without tweaks) NTFS.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Reference URL's