Thank you for your donation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Migration from Rpi1 -> Rpi2
7th Jul, 2017, 04:26 AM
Migration from Rpi1 -> Rpi2
Having seen that this should now work I tried it today.

I took a microSD and flashed the pi1 backup to it, placed it in a SD adaptor and tested it in Pi1 - No problem. It worked as expected. I removed from /boot/config.txt all the cpu/memory clock speeds and also the mpeg licence.

I placed the microSD into a Pi2 and it seems to get stuck in the boot process. The activity light flickers a little and then it just sits there. Huh I have no screen attached so can't see how far it got, maybe try again tomorrow.....

Is there something else I need to do, or is this not possible with Xbian image?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
7th Jul, 2017, 05:39 AM
RE: Migration from Rpi1 -> Rpi2
(7th Jul, 2017 04:26 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  Having seen that this should now work I tried it today.

I took a microSD and flashed the pi1 backup to it, placed it in a SD adaptor and tested it in Pi1 - No problem. It worked as expected. I removed from /boot/config.txt all the cpu/memory clock speeds and also the mpeg licence.

You do not have to remove/change mpeg license. Up to 8 comma separated licenses can be put there (I have three configured Smile)

Quote:I placed the microSD into a Pi2 and it seems to get stuck in the boot process. The activity light flickers a little and then it just sits there. Huh I have no screen attached so can't see how far it got, maybe try again tomorrow.....

Is there something else I need to do, or is this not possible with Xbian image?

Yes / No Big Grin

I did this when I bought first RPi2 (about two years ago), was too lazy to configure everything from scratch Tongue. But you have to install Kernel for RPi2 when card is still plugged in a RPi1, because kernel built for RPi1 does NOT support RPi2/3 and vice versa.
19th Jul, 2017, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the helpful info. Sorry for delay in replying, been in bed with a bad back.

As for the update to pi2, it sounds like a recipe for disaster based on my previous luck, so will leave it a while until I have more time to look into it. Maybe in a month or two..... Smile
20th Jul, 2017, 04:34 AM
(19th Jul, 2017 06:22 PM)Skywatch Wrote:  Thanks for the helpful info. Sorry for delay in replying, been in bed with a bad back.

Oops, does not sound good Sad

Quote:As for the update to pi2, it sounds like a recipe for disaster based on my previous luck, so will leave it a while until I have more time to look into it. Maybe in a month or two..... Smile

Ok, so you know what you have to do then ...
20th Jul, 2017, 06:56 PM
(20th Jul, 2017 04:34 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Ok, so you know what you have to do then ...

Yes / No Tongue

In theory it looks simple. Power up Pi1, install pi2 kernel, power down and move card to pi2.

In practice I need to do more research and then check in with what I think the process is before I do it and make a mess of things.
It's a new learning curve for me, that's going to do me some good I hope. As a hint, is the kernel for pi2 in xbian github, or where?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies Views: Last Post
Question [PROBLEM] Migration from OpenElec? zurdar 4 3,177 14th May, 2015 07:20 PM
Last Post: CurlyMo