Thank you for your donation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Idea: Boot XBian from USB
16th Aug, 2016, 04:09 AM
RE: Boot XBian from USB
(14th Aug, 2016 08:11 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Yeah, seems you have completely lost the track

Maybe, maybe not, do you mean "track" or "trick"?

As you have seen, i am able to boot different OS via USB on a RPI3, since this:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md

But i do not understand the wiki in

http://wiki.xbian.org/doku.php/installation_usb

First, it is older than the Patch from

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md

and second, i do not have a

/boot/boot.scr.txt

Huh
Quote this message in a reply
16th Aug, 2016, 04:38 AM
I suppose this article was written long before it was possible to boot RPi without sd-card.

Quote:/boot/boot.scr.txt

You did not read this article correctly. This is only valid for Cubox-i/Hummingboard devices (they are booting via u-boot and not by proprietary rpi boot)

This article is valid for both hw types, whereas the RPi msd boot works with RPi's (3???) only

But anyway, interesting feature Smile
Find all posts by this user
16th Aug, 2016, 05:10 AM
(16th Aug, 2016 04:38 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  I suppose this article was written long before it was possible to boot RPi without sd-card.

That is, what i allways tried to say ...

Any hint to boot the PI3 with enabled

Code:
vcgencmd otp_dump | grep 17:
17:3020000a

with Xbian?

Huh
16th Aug, 2016, 05:19 AM (This post was last modified: 16th Aug, 2016 05:23 AM by Nachteule.)
You know that this feature is not officially released?

Only theoretically:

1) you have to replace firmware files (bootcode.bin and start.elf)
You can fetch them from here, you need _x version of those files and store it to /boot without _x
2) you have to replace mmcblk0pX with sdaX in files /boot/cmdline.txt and /etc/fstab

(currently I don't have any motivation for testing this, don't want to trash my rpi3 installation)
16th Aug, 2016, 06:49 AM
(16th Aug, 2016 05:19 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  (currently I don't have any motivation for testing this, don't want to trash my rpi3 installation)

What do you mean with "trash my rpi3 installation"?

I inserted, into the modified RPI3, the "ex-broken" Micro-SD-Card from the RPI2 and the RPI3 was also booting fine
into Xbian!

That patch, OTP=one time programmable, only made the PI3 available to boot additional via USB and Network (NFS).

Nothing more.

Now, i "just" need to know, how to modify an Xbian-Image, that it can also boot Xbian via USB, nothing more.
Huh
16th Aug, 2016, 07:06 AM
(16th Aug, 2016 06:49 AM)duno Wrote:  
(16th Aug, 2016 05:19 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  (currently I don't have any motivation for testing this, don't want to trash my rpi3 installation)

What do you mean with "trash my rpi3 installation"?

I inserted, into the modified RPI3, the "ex-broken" Micro-SD-Card from the RPI2 and the RPI3 was also booting fine
into Xbian!

That patch, OTP=one time programmable, only made the PI3 available to boot additional via USB and Network (NFS).

Nothing more.

Now, i "just" need to know, how to modify an Xbian-Image, that it can also boot Xbian via USB, nothing more.
Huh

See my last post. Not sure if 1) is really needed, but 2) is needed (btw. this is also documented at raspberrypi.org (at the end)