Forum

Full Version: Official XBian 1.0 RC 1 thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Where is RC2 thread?
Only the MOTD states RC2, the /etc/xbian_version still says RC1
After each new boot (or re-boot), an IR remote (mceusb with the IR receiver connected via GPIO) did not work as expected. Mostly, none of the keys triggered an action in XBMC. Sometimes, the navigation keys (up, down left, right) worked, but nothing else. (Monitoring key presses via irw was always OK with all keys generating messages.)

In my case, this seemed to be related to the way XBMC is started. Obviously XBMC starts before lircd is ready and then fails to establish a connection to lircd.

I was able to fix the problem by applying this patch:

Code:
*** /etc/init/xbmc.conf.orig    2014-04-29 19:26:05.723005716 +0200
--- /etc/init/xbmc.conf    2014-04-29 19:26:55.326163747 +0200
*** 13,19 ****
  env ZTEMPXBMC=0
  env DEBUG='--debug'

! start on started xbmc-preload and started dbus and (started autofs or xbian-nowait)
  stop on runlevel [06]

# only effective during starting until full load. for niceness, set /etc/default/xbmc
--- 13,19 ----
  env ZTEMPXBMC=0
  env DEBUG='--debug'

! start on started xbmc-preload and started dbus and started lirc and (started autofs or xbian-nowait)
  stop on runlevel [06]

# only effective during starting until full load. for niceness, set /etc/default/xbmc

Please note that this is only an initial attempt at resolving the problem. I have not checked for side effects, e.g. different configurations without lircd. And the test I have introduced may not be sufficient: Checking if lircd is actually ready to accept connections before starting XBMC would probably be a more robust option.
Here are more details about the long NFS Boot Time after last xbian update.
I was able to find out which "update module/component" raised the nfs boot time:
After updating "xbian-package-initramfs-tools" the boot duration raised from few seconds to more than one minute, so there must be some changes which adversely affected the NFS Boot.

Note: I have not fixed the translation.py problem yet but this should not affect the boot problem.

And here are some config/log files but I can't find any reason for the long boot time.
cmdline.txt: pastebin link
config.txt: pastebin link
dmesg output: pastebin link
/var/log/messages output: pastebin link
xbmc.log: pastebin link
vmstat 5 20 output: pastebin link
top output: pastebin link

Regards,
tom
How did you measure the 1 minute boot time?

Until you were able to use SSH? Until XBMC booted?
How did I measure?
Yes, of course this is not measured on the raspberry itself.
This is only the "human" measuring sitting in Front of the TV while xbian boots until the XBMC Frontend is shown - using a clock.
But I have tested with SSH too. Until the boot is finished I can't login and the waiting time to be able to login is also increased after updating the xbian-package-initramfs-tools.
(28th Apr, 2014 08:25 AM)agent5150 Wrote: [ -> ]Where is RC2 thread?

Just for you :-) RC 2
(23rd Feb, 2014 10:51 PM)Lucifer Wrote: [ -> ]So ... i found how to upgrade ...

1. Flash beta 2
2. boot and wait for partition resize.
3. SSH login
4. Exit xbian-config
5. $ sudo -s
6. # service xbmc stop
7. # apt-get update
8. # apt-get install xbian-package-kernel
9. # apt-get install dpkg
10. # apt-get install xbian-package-firmware
11. # reboot
12. Wait for SSH service to start
13. Repeat steps 3 to 5.
14. # dpkg --clear-avail
15. # apt-get update
16. # apt-get upgrade
17. # apt-get dist-upgrade
18. # apt-get autoremove
19. # apt-get install (the last held back package (CEC)).
20. # apt-get autoremove
21. # reboot

WARNING! If you use XBMC Backup - DO NOT RESTORE FROM IT!

Hi Lucifer,

I tried the upgrade method that you detailed in these steps. I have tried this a couple of times now, each time reflashing my SD card back to Xbian 1.0 Beta 2 from the Windows installer if it broke, but still with no success.

I found that after doing apt-get dist-upgrade in step #17, my Pi would do an automatic reboot. Every time this happens, it will come back up in the recovery boot console and at that point I have no idea what part of the upgrade has broken the boot process. But I get the usual "cannot read device /dev/mmcblk02" error.

Along the way I also had the issue where it would refuse to complete apt-get upgrade due to conflicting python2.7 libraries, but I was able to get past this with a force install "apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-all" upgrade "

Just thought I'd share my experiences and wondered if there are any updates to the instructions on how to get from Xbian 1.0 Beta 2 to the latest RC1?
For testing boot issues, I found that telnet starts long before ssh so you may try that to troubleshoot the problem
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Reference URL's