Forum

Full Version: Official XBian 1.0 Gotham Testing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(17th Mar, 2014 08:15 PM)teekay Wrote: [ -> ]Check /var/log/upstart/xbmc.log - it should say something about a missing library libvorbisenc.so.2
You can fix it with
Code:
apt-get install libvorbisenc2

do we have a missing dependency ?

(17th Mar, 2014 07:11 PM)teekay Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: post log or it didn't happen Tongue
Code:
12:20:51 T:3037589504  NOTICE: Starting XBMC (13.0-BETA3 Git:20140315-4910748). Platform: ARM Linux 32-bit
12:20:51 T:3037589504  NOTICE: Using Release XBMC x32 build, compiled Mar 17 2014 by GCC 4.7.1 for ARM Linux 32-bit 3.2.21

Starting XBMC (13.0-BETA3 Git:20140321-6155f03). Platform: ARM Linux 32-bit

on repo.
I was thinking about the package name but will leave it until 13Gotham final as it is meaning:
All Beta,RC versions until 13Gotham gets stable (and will be released as xbian-package-xbmc) will keep the name xbian-package-xbmc-gotham-nightly. lot of people have this as a standard XBMC already and introduction of new name would need manual "apt-get install xbian-xxxxxxx".

After 13Gotham stable release we will set 3 new auto-build packages, nightly compiled overnight will go into XBian/devel repo, bi-weekly or monthly into XBian/staging and the one working best as usually will end up at XBian/stable.
apropo Gotham

Gotham will include Multi-PCM passthrough on RPI. But no idea whether this finally introduce multiAAC online transcoding (as with existing MPCM passthrough there is practically no additional overhead).

someone having more info?
Quote:do we have a missing dependency ?
Gotham yes.
I noticed that with the latest updates in "stable" and the latest Gotham Nightly (13.0 beta 3 according to xbmc.log) the average CPU-usage of xbmc.bin is about ~25% instead of the 8-12% I was used to in the prior versions.
@Smultie

are you comparing Gotham and Gotham before this beta or Gotham and Frodo?

and yes, it is like you say (so it is not local behaviour limited to your RPI). Definitely do not bother now as :

1) still Beta
2) Build was running on another build server as Koen is switching from master to Gotham and has some troubles obviously Wink
3) there was also new FW needed with the last Gotham as otherwise frames were displayed out of order !

so too much variables currently.
(25th Mar, 2014 04:17 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]@Smultie

are you comparing Gotham and Gotham before this beta or Gotham and Frodo?

and yes, it is like you say (so it is not local behaviour limited to your RPI). Definitely do not bother now as :

1) still Beta
2) Build was running on another build server as Koen is switching from master to Gotham and has some troubles obviously Wink
3) there was also new FW needed with the last Gotham as otherwise frames were displayed out of order !

so too much variables currently.

Doesn't bother me either, just an observation.

Frodo+RC1 (all stable repo) 950MhZ overclock ===> 12% idle CPU
Gotham 14.0alpha (14.0-ALPHA1 Git:20140307-28f60ed) from 2-3 weeks ago + 950MhZ overclock ===> 10% idle CPU

Gotham 13.0beta 3 (13.0-BETA3 Git:20140321-6155f03) with new firmware + 950MhZ overclock ===> 25% idle CPU
So I have installed the new gotham version as well as the newest firmware 1.4.14-0 and the video playback is still horribly jumpy (I can see it moving forward and backward rapidly). Kinda like what mk01 was saying with frames displayed out of order. Is there something else I am supposed to do to fix video playback on this release? It's pretty much unwatchable at this point. I was hoping Xbian would work better for me as Openelec Gotham now randomly freezes on me when watching video from NFS shares.
(26th Mar, 2014 04:05 PM)calcon79 Wrote: [ -> ]So I have installed the new gotham version as well as the newest firmware 1.4.14-0 and the video playback is still horribly jumpy (I can see it moving forward and backward rapidly). Kinda like what mk01 was saying with frames displayed out of order. Is there something else I am supposed to do to fix video playback on this release? It's pretty much unwatchable at this point. I was hoping Xbian would work better for me as Openelec Gotham now randomly freezes on me when watching video from NFS shares.

Is there some reason you need Gotham instead of Frodo?
@f1vefour

Network performance and speed in general on the Raspberry Pi is much better with Gotham. Gotham loads large mkv files over NFS much faster than Frodo for me.
(26th Mar, 2014 04:05 PM)calcon79 Wrote: [ -> ]So I have installed the new gotham version as well as the newest firmware 1.4.14-0 and the video playback is still horribly jumpy (I can see it moving forward and backward rapidly). Kinda like what mk01 was saying with frames displayed out of order. Is there something else I am supposed to do to fix video playback on this release? It's pretty much unwatchable at this point. I was hoping Xbian would work better for me as Openelec Gotham now randomly freezes on me when watching video from NFS shares.

I wasn't testing all existing types of media, but with the firmware all tested was OK for me. otherwise I would not pushed the package.

I'm going to test more content based on your report.

@Smultie - what's the status with you ?

(I'm also building more actual kernel (from 3.12.7 we have now 3.12.23)). will see.

(26th Mar, 2014 04:22 PM)calcon79 Wrote: [ -> ]@f1vefour

Network performance and speed in general on the Raspberry Pi is much better with Gotham. Gotham loads large mkv files over NFS much faster than Frodo for me.

of course question wasn't meant as why you want to go for Gotham and not stay with Frodo for ever.

only if you need it _today_. Gotham is still far from final.

(although on Cubox-i runs great Big Grin )
@mk01
The files I am having trouble with are high bitrate 1080p mkv x264 files. They also have DTS soundtracks. Anything I can provide that might help you? xbmc.log?

I do happen to have many more different file types I can try. It's just the larger ones seem to do it the worst. I have some lower bitrate 720p x264 that only jump around slightly.

@mk01

Is it really running good on the Cubox-i? I've been keeping an eye on that. Thanks for the hard work on that BTW. Xbian is the only version of XBMC that seems viable on the Cubox-i for me.

One thing I am wondering about Xbian on Cubox-i is if it supports 24p auto switching. I was reading that the linux builds didn't support it. I was hoping Xbian has found a way to make it work.

As for the Gotham upgrade from Frodo. Yeah I know it's still a beta. I'm probably going to revert back since this box is a family box. My wife and kids are already annoyed that I have broken it lol. I'm just amazed at how much faster it is so I was hoping it would work out. I've had files take 1-2 minutes to load up on Frodo and those same files are loading in seconds on Gotham.
(26th Mar, 2014 04:24 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]@Smultie - what's the status with you ?

All working great, just a little higher CPU-usage than before and it feels a tiny bit more sluggish/laggy.
@calcon79

you can grab new xbmc from repo.
And back to ~10% cpu!!

Something you changed, or XBMC-related?
@mk01

Thanks I tried it out. Still have the video glitches. Tried a few files. Some recorded mpeg2 .ts files which are HD also exhibit this behavior. Pretty much anything high bitrate. I have some smaller files but are still high bitrate that do this. SD files don't do it at all. I also have one file that wouldn't play video (only audio) but it used to. I'm going to set it up so I can easily switch between stable vs unstable XBMC builds. I like trying new stuff. If you guys ever need me to try some stuff out I'm totally game for it. I don't mind tinkering. Besides if no one ever uses these Gotham builds the bugs will never get worked out.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Reference URL's