Forum

Full Version: Hifiberry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Usually it all comes via xbian-config update and upgrade. Makes it simple enough even for me then! Smile

Skywatch.
I just got the first DAC working, it's a 384KHz/32Bit capable low noise dac based on the PCM5102a chip.

I got it working with Volumio using kernel 3.12.29+ - and it sounds superb....... Smile

Now I can't wait for Xbian to sound so good too, so I might try some more this week and see.

Skywatch.
@Skywatch

and the card is not working in XBian ? talking about XBian (as system outside XBMC) it should. Even Gunnarhaus confirmed that page back, has not?

XBMC is separate topic, for XBMC to work with ALSA different build is needed (which uses default PAPLAYER and DVDPLAYER, not customised omxplayer - which works and will work with core RPI hw only).
That XBMC branch is maintained and developed by popcornmix and xbian is providing it as xbian-package-xbmc-alsa. Popcornmix is trying there the usual approach - incorporate hw support (in that case rpi) directly into XBMC core components.
Currently it is not planned that the -alsa version will replace the default omxplayer customised builds.

I will try the -alsa build myself when I get to RPI on a USB 8channel audio card I have.

btw regarding kernels, we put 3.15.8 as stable (replaced 3.12 branch) and 3.16.3 will appear at staging in day or two.

but in general this wont change the way how sound is handled. any kernel delivers only ALSA compatible drivers to sound card. then player ALSA capable delivers actual sound over the alsa and the drivers. and just to resume, standard RPI XBMC is not ALSA capable. -alsa version should be such player, but any other ALSA player from available repos (raspbian/debian) should do the job as well (speaking about audio).
Hi all,

I finally got some free time today and had another go at this...... and it works with Xbian RC3 ! Smile

I spent a little time with updates/upgrades and the modules and found that the pi hasn't a clue what is connected, so if it works for one DAC it should work for all (within reason)..... I finally set it up as I did under volumio for the PCM5102a dac but instead had a Sabre 9023 connected, and it worked!

So thanks to MK01, for the help and support. If anyone is interested I can post my config and what I did in the week.

Skywatch is one very happy bunny today! Smile Smile Smile
This would make an excellent wiki entry @Skywatch.
I'll give it my best! - might be a a few days though, busy listening !!! TongueSmileSmileBig Grin

Skywatch.
It would be greatly appreciated, in the meantime enjoy the spoils of labor Smile
Should I make a new section in the wiki under configuration for this?

It'll get done by Sunday and I will start a thread to add more data and tips to and link to that as well.

Skywatch.
Sounds good to me.

What do you think of the audio quality of the Hifiberry or whatever DAC you're using?
In short, simply stunning.

I find it difficult to believe that this level of quality can be got from a pi and boards that costs less than £20!

I have both an ESS Sabre 9023 DAC (capable of 192KHz/24bit playback) and a PCM5102a DAC (capable of 384KHz/32bit playback). They are both amazing and even better a Sony SACD player I own!

It's well worth the investment if you have decent speakers or a quality headphone amp.

Since the title of this thread is hifiberry and I don't own one (although it uses the PCM5102a chip) I will start a new topic to go with the wiki entry and put more info in there. Hopefully it will also see a wider audience!

Skywatch
Good idea, since some may not know of the other options available to use.

The SACD never got much love here in the states, I don't know why since they were really the best option for long lasting quality sound. Me being old enough to enjoy the sound of vinyl I prefer it to anything, a record just won't last like a cd does.
(31st Oct, 2014 02:47 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]Me being old enough to enjoy the sound of vinyl I prefer it to anything, a record just won't last like a cd does.

Me too!

I can't say I agree with all that though. I have 2 copies of a CD I got in Sweden and both have gone bad in their storage boxes. Something to do with the silver reflective layer going bad over time. One CD would be unfortunate, but two (both identical albums) is too much of a coincidence for me.....

I did recently digitise a 12" vinyl single at 384KHz/32bit and for just one track the resulting file was 1.3GB !!! - But I would defy anyone to tell the difference between the two, especially through these modern DACs.

Skywatch.
Question:
Will this work DD5.1/DTS output (aka passthrough) in XBMC (XBian blend of course)? Or only stereo?
Asking because Hifiberry on their page states:
Quote:Important note: While the hardware is able to output DTS/Dolby Digital, software has to be adapted to support this. We will support the developers to implement this. Unfortunately we can’t guarantee that this feature will work with a specific software. Please ask the developers of the software if this is supported.
http://www.hifiberry.com/hbdigi/
I have also had disks go bad, it's usually data disks and not "pressed" copies though.

I may have to grab one of the 384khz capable devices and give it a go.
(31st Oct, 2014 04:14 AM)zkiifreak Wrote: [ -> ]Question:
Will this work DD5.1/DTS output (aka passthrough) in XBMC (XBian blend of course)? Or only stereo?

I have not tried this yet, but I have noticed that the DAC only plays music and streaming audio. When a video is played the sound reverts to the HDMI output somehow and I have not yet found a setting to change this (XBMC has the DAC set as output under settings but I can't see anything else that overrides this).

DD5.1 (AC3) output would be good for me too and I will have a play with this next week, time allowing.

Skywatch.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Reference URL's