Forum

Full Version: Hifiberry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
@Ewoud Bakker
Maybe this commit could solve your sound issue

Btw:
I'm working on a (final) Raspberry Pi 3 image (and of course working for Rpi2) with this commit included. I will release this image this week.
Well, if it is not the SD card then either it is the power supply, cables or image that is at fault.

If you can, try using different power supply and different cables for everything (power, usb, network) and see if that helps.

A completely new flash of the SD card would also be good to try, just in case the old card got corrupted and a corrupted image has been moved to the new card.

I have been playing with the pifi digi for days now and no issues at all with it! - No crashes, no reboots. Just works fine (even after a half hour pause it resumed straight away). Smile

I know how frustrating this can be, but it's great when you get it all working again.
So, it appears that passthrough is supposed to be working with Xbian on Raspberry Pi 2 and HifiBerry Digi+?
Because I can't get it to work with my Samsung soundbar, neither DD nor DTS. When I switch to passthrough, I only get some very low volume "morse code" through the subwoofer. Is it just the soundbar being unable to process the signal? Connecting it to my desktop and enabling passthrough via MPC works fine. Xbian Stereo also works. Unfortunately, I don't have any other devices capable of digital audio input to compare....

Any more suggestions?
PI2, pifi digi and it works. I can't say about hifiberry digi+ though as I don't have one.

As for the soundbar, more info please. Samsung make a whole range of soundbars with different capabilities.

What is in your /boot/config.txt file?
What is the output of 'aplay -l'?

One happy surprise was that it seems to transcode DTS to DD (AC3) on the fly! - Nice!
Alright, thanks for mentioning the clone, broadens the google possibilities...Rolleyes

Soundbar is a Samsung HW-D 450 , according to the manual here on page 2, it employs decoder for DD and DTS 5.1. As mentioned, connecting it to a PC and using Passthrough via media player classic works flawlessly for all HD audio formats except Dolby True HD, as one would expect.

/boot/config.txt:
Code:
#initramfs initramfs.gz  0x1000000
gpu_mem_1024=256
gpu_mem_512=144
gpu_mem_256=100
initial_turbo=3
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
disable_overscan=1
disable_splash=1

#dtoverlay=lirc-rpi
dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi

#max_usb_current=1

aplay -l
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi], device 0: HifiBerry Digi HiFi wm8804-spdif-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
That looks OK to me.

So, you have the 'digi' board optical output connected via toslink to the digital input of the soundbar, yes?

In kodi you have the output in system/audio as the digi board and passthrough selected?

Can you try adding the following to /boot/config.txt

dtparam=i2s=on
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

Also, check that you have the following in /etc/modules....

snd_soc_bcm2708
snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
bcm2708_dmaengine
#snd_soc_pcm5102a <---This one must be commented out.
snd_soc_hifiberry_digi
snd-soc-wm8804
i2c-bcm2708
i2c-dev

I think the DT settings should override these, but it's worth a try!
(22nd Mar, 2016 07:12 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]So, you have the 'digi' board optical output connected via toslink to the digital input of the soundbar, yes?

In kodi you have the output in system/audio as the digi board and passthrough selected?

Yes to both. I also checked to have MMAL selected in video acceleration and to have "sync to screen rate" unchecked, since, to my knowledge, the former is the only one which supports alsa and the latter needs to be deactivated for passthrough.

(22nd Mar, 2016 07:12 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Can you try adding the following to /boot/config.txt

dtparam=i2s=on
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

Tried that, but unfortunately no difference. What do they do?

(22nd Mar, 2016 07:12 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Also, check that you have the following in /etc/modules....

I have /etc/modules and /etc/modules.xbian, but they only contain
Code:
uinput
and
Code:
#snd_bcm2835
alrdy changed out all cables and power thingies.

Whent ahead and installed the rpi3. Seems to be stable.

I've setup the hifiberry-digi+ and did the same things except the blacklist as in aplay -l it comes up nicely. I can set the hifiberry up in kodi including passthrough but it gives a stuttring sound. i'll keep it to HDMI sound for now until Nachteule has worked his magic. Then i'll jump in and see if i can get it work.
Just to say that the problem with updating 'xbian-update' is still there.

I did this today with a working pi 2 that had all the excludes in the 2 modules folders done and working well. I upgraded and suddenly no sound again. I checked the folders and the excludes for snd_bcm2835 were missing after the upgrade!.... I added them again and rebooted and all is fine.

Question is, what is causing this behaviour?

This will keep Nachteule up later than usual tonight! Tongue
@Skywatch
Will put this on my todo list

btw, when switching to kernel 4.4 (RPi3 is already running this version), this entry will be obsolete (see also here)
Thnx nachteule

I'll update my rpi3 setup and give it a go getting hifiberry digital up this weekend. Will report back
Here is my report: Sound is working good, hifiberry gets picked up and works.

Only thing is i still have my stuttering glitch noise after the sound plays for a while. changed power supply and the soundcable& connectors and am running an rpi3 with teh lastest update. I'm starting to think this might be a hifiberry problem.
There also seems to be an "_" in the upper left corner wich isn't there in HDMI mode.
(9th Apr, 2016 03:29 AM)Ewoud Bakker Wrote: [ -> ]Here is my report: Sound is working good, hifiberry gets picked up and works.

Only thing is i still have my stuttering glitch noise after the sound plays for a while. changed power supply and the soundcable& connectors and am running an rpi3 with teh lastest update. I'm starting to think this might be a hifiberry problem.

Does this happens only if you're playing videos from your external usb disk or always?

Quote:There also seems to be an "_" in the upper left corner wich isn't there in HDMI mode.

Before you're asking, i've absolutely no idea what this means Huh
yeah i always play movies through my usb HD. i'll try and see what happens if i copy the same movie to the Pi SD.

The character "_" appaers in my left upper corner of the screen when playing a movie. might be something from the decoding plugin?

Thnx for the fast reply.

copied the same movie to /home/xbian/ and the same problem occurs but even quicker.. almost instant.

To give you a better idea what happening i made a movie -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uc-VZV1B18
I'm thinking to downgrade to kodi 15 and see if the hifiberry is working with that installation. To check if its a hardware problem or kodi 16 package problem.

Can i just do it with the current kernel?
if yes can i just use ->

Terminal
apt-cache showpkg xbian-package-xbmc

Then install through
Terminal
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-xbmc=15.2-1449275614

Also can i just get back to latest by running

Terminal
apt-get install xbian-xbmc-package

I hate to screw up my fresh install wich is running really good appart from hifiberry.

//

Went ahead and just did it.
kodi 15 also gives the glitch so i reintalled latest package.

i'm pretty much out of ideas.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Reference URL's