Forum

Full Version: Hifiberry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
firmware is here... http://apt.xbian.org/pool/devel/main/x/xbian-package-firmware/

4.1.3 Kernel is here... http://apt.xbian.org/pool/devel/rpi2-jessie/l/linux-image-bcm2836/

Install firmware first, then the new kernel, reboot and report back if it works for you!

Skywatch.
Done and done.

It works!
Still some error messages (is that normal?), but the device is created and now I can listen to audio without passing it through the TV.
Code:
[   12.562488] snd-hifiberry-digi sound: ASoC: CPU DAI (null) not registered
[   12.562554] snd-hifiberry-digi sound: snd_soc_register_card() failed: -517
[   12.576180] bcm2708_i2c 3f804000.i2c: BSC1 Controller at 0x3f804000 (irq 79) (baudrate 100000)
[   12.576467] snd-hifiberry-digi sound: ASoC: CPU DAI (null) not registered
[   12.576494] snd-hifiberry-digi sound: snd_soc_register_card() failed: -517
[   12.580861] snd-hifiberry-digi sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI wm8804-spdif not registered
[   12.580911] snd-hifiberry-digi sound: snd_soc_register_card() failed: -517
[   13.139276] snd-hifiberry-digi sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI wm8804-spdif not registered
[   13.139310] snd-hifiberry-digi sound: snd_soc_register_card() failed: -517
[   13.573383] wm8804 1-003b: revision E
[   13.584531] snd-hifiberry-digi sound: wm8804-spdif <-> 3f203000.i2s mapping ok

Hoooowever, switching to the ALSA devicve degrades playback speed. Switching back to PI:HDMI, smooth playback. Switching to ALSA again, dropped frames every few seconds... I thought the digital/digital conversion was all hardware accelerated...? Anyway, this might be a bit off topic in here.
Can you post the output of the following...

cat /etc/default/xbian-module-init-tools
cat /etc/modules

Skywatch.
(31st Jul, 2015 11:12 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Can you post the output of the following...

Sure thing.
Terminal
xbian@mumepc ~/.kodi/temp $ cat /etc/default/xbian-module-init-tools
# Configuration for module-init-tools

# Changes the CPUFreq governor just after boot, pretending it to be the default
# governor.
# Leave empty or commented out to use the actual default governor configured
# in the kernel.
#CPUFREQ_GOVERNOR=""
xbian@mumepc ~/.kodi/temp $ cat /etc/modules
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
# Parameters can be specified after the module name.

#13.06.15 testing - for sensors
bcm2835-thermal

uinput

Pretty much default. The sensors-thingy didn't appear to work, but that's extremely offtopic, and not relevant Wink

//edit: Argh, and something is wrong with the volume after TV on/off. Oo. Even the audio level on the HDMI port is now wayyy louder than normal. Let's try a reboot. (something I've never said about a Linux system Sad)
Something I learned yesterday, change

#CPUFREQ_GOVERNOR=""

to

CPUFREQ_GOVERNOR="ondemand" (you can also try 'performance' here too....).

Also, check on the hifiberry site if the modules entries are correct and needed. I don't have a digi to test so can't say more on that one but here is their guide... https://www.hifiberry.com/guides/configuring-linux-3-18-x/.

Skywatch.
(1st Aug, 2015 01:20 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]CPUFREQ_GOVERNOR="ondemand" (you can also try 'performance' here too....).

Will that enable automatic "over"clocking?
I'll test tomorrow. Still, it's not a matter of the new firmware/kernel, as using the HDMI output still produces smooth playback...

Yup, followed their tutorial earlier. Still don't know why it cranked up the volume suddenly (and invisibly) after TV was switched off an on. Maybe disabling the HDMI communication will avoid that problem.

//update:

Changing the cpufreq governor did not affect the playback issues.
Is this rather a Hifiberry issue (i.e., should I post in their forum?) or an xbian one? (As other distributions/users do not seem to have this problem?)
Yes it seems to clock between 600-900MHz depending on system requirements.

I guess that there is an issue with the latest 4.1.x kernels that is causing this to happen.

Unfortunately I don't own a digi+ to test with either, so can only help people with dacs.

Still it should be resolved at some point.

Do let us know if you find a solution by yourself as others are reporting the same issue.

I'll open a ticket in github later today about this too, it might help.

Skywatch.
(31st Jul, 2015 06:10 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]firmware is here... http://apt.xbian.org/pool/devel/main/x/xbian-package-firmware/

4.1.3 Kernel is here... http://apt.xbian.org/pool/devel/rpi2-jessie/l/linux-image-bcm2836/

Install firmware first, then the new kernel, reboot and report back if it works for you!

Skywatch.
But how to install these files? where to put these files?
(14th Aug, 2015 12:31 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately I don't own a digi+ to test with either, so can only help people with dacs.
Are the DACs running fine with abovementioned version? I can't imagine the problem to be beyond the i2s interface. (Why should using a different chip slow the CPU down/cause CPU usage?) But maybe that's just my lack of imagination.

(14th Aug, 2015 12:31 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Still it should be resolved at some point.

Do let us know if you find a solution by yourself as others are reporting the same issue.

I'll open a ticket in github later today about this too, it might help.
Thanks. Any new versions I can try? Debugging/Profiling while outputting audio/video? Post more config files? Smile

It's more an annoyance than a major issue, as I can still route the audio through my TV, but... Hey, I bought it, plus I don't want to have the TV running whenever I listen to music Smile

(14th Aug, 2015 04:18 AM)bonestaak Wrote: [ -> ]But how to install these files? where to put these files?
wget them anywhere and then install using dpkg -i. Simple as that Smile
@-AB-

Yes I have no problems with both original pi and 9023 sabre dac board and pi 2 with PCM 5102A dac board (both incredible for the price) and working faultless for weeks now with the above mentioned kernel and firmware.

I see that 4.1.5 kernel is already available for Rpi, so things are moving along and team Xbian are usually good at getting to the bottom of problems.

Have you managed to get the digi running with any other software? Have you tried the Hifiberry support? Check that both alsa-base and alsa-utils are installed. One thing we haven't looked at is what is in your /etc/modules file?

@Bonestaak....

1 Download the .deb file you want to install (via browser, wget, curl or whatever OR download to another PC and copy to the /tmp folder on your pi),
for example download
linux-image-bcm2836_4.1.3+-1437860820_armhf.deb
xbian-package-firmware_2.3.0_armhf.deb

2 Install firmware with sudo dpkg -i /tmp/xbian-package-firmware_2.3.0_armhf.deb

3 Install kernel with sudo dpkg -i /tmp/linux-image-bcm2836_4.1.3+-1437860820_armhf.deb

Obviously change the above to the name and location of the files you downloaded if different, but those are the exact files I use with dacs (not digi+!) Wink

Skywatch.
A thats better thanks, i can understand that. i'll try it.

As i have no /tmp anywhere on my raspberry i have /xbian-xbmc/temp so i changed
sudo dpkg -i /xbian-xbmc/temp/xbian-package-firmware_2.3.0_armhf.deb

xbian@xbian ~ $ sudo dpkg -i /xbian-xbmc/temp/xbian-package-firmware_2.3.0_armhf.deb
dpkg: error processing /xbian-xbmc/temp/xbian-package-firmware_2.3.0_armhf.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
/xbian-xbmc/temp/xbian-package-firmware_2.3.0_armhf.deb
xbian@xbian ~ $
xbian@xbian ~ $ sudo dpkg -i /xbian-xbmc/temp/linux-image-bcm2836_4.1.3+-1437860820_armhf.deb
dpkg: error processing /xbian-xbmc/temp/linux-image-bcm2836_4.1.3+-1437860820_armhf.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
/xbian-xbmc/temp/linux-image-bcm2836_4.1.3+-1437860820_armhf.deb
Hmm now i did in Terminal:

cd .xbmc
cd temp

now i did sudo dpkg -i linux-image-bcm2836_4.1.3+-1437860820_armhf.deb

and

sudo dpkg -i xbian-package-firmware_2.3.0_armhf.deb

unpacking... some time .. but no errors.
On this moment i can not look at my television but tonight i shall look if i can get now the Digi+

Thanks.
As said in the other threads also. Use code tags.
Although installing of the 2 files worked, there is no possibility to choose for the digi+ i am afraid i must change to Openelec as it seemed that for Openelec there is support on the Hifiberry.com page.
@CurlyMo What do you mean with code tags?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Reference URL's