Forum

Full Version: beta2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@numanoids

the initscripts issue was anticipated, wasn't it? And I posted the solution so again
Code:
rm -f /etc/init.d/mountall*
insserv -f
apt-get upgrade (again)

apt-get upgrade will continue when stopped before.

Terminal

Preconfiguring packages ...
Setting up initscripts (2.88dsf-41+deb7u1) ...
(Reading database ... 29603 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace tzdata 2013c-0wheezy1 (using .../tzdata_2013d-0wheezy1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement tzdata ...
Setting up tzdata (2013d-0wheezy1) ...

Current default time zone: 'Etc/UTC'
Local time is now: Thu Oct 17 16:43:45 UTC 2013.
Universal Time is now: Thu Oct 17 16:43:45 UTC 2013.
Run 'dpkg-reconfigure tzdata' if you wish to change it.

Preparing to replace libbind9-80 1:9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2 (using .../libbind9-80_1%3a9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2+deb7u1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libbind9-80 ...
Setting up libbind9-80 (1:9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2+deb7u1) ...
Preparing to replace libdns88 1:9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2 (using .../libdns88_1%3a9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2+deb7u1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libdns88 ...
Setting up libdns88 (1:9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2+deb7u1) ...
Preparing to replace libisccfg82 1:9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2 (using .../libisccfg82_1%3a9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2+deb7u1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libisccfg82 ...
Setting up libisccfg82 (1:9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2+deb7u1) ...
Preparing to replace liblwres80 1:9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2 (using .../liblwres80_1%3a9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2+deb7u1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement liblwres80 ...
In my case these conflicts were due to wrong apt repo's in apt sources list.

All my Lirc issues are fixed now. Thanks!

However, before i upgraded today the analog sound quality was amazing (for what you could expect). No more noise during and when pausing movies. However, sadly the apt repository doesn't contain old versions anymore so it's hard to test which version it was. Also, video playback started nearly instantaneous while now you have to wait for about 3 seconds (again).

So generally, is it possible to have the devel repository keep old deb packages so we can also test older versions when necessary. My apt generation script was especially created for XBian to support this multi-version feature. Will return to my previous backup to see if it's better.
(18th Oct, 2013 02:45 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]@numanoids

the initscripts issue was anticipated, wasn't it? And I posted the solution so again
Code:
rm -f /etc/init.d/mountall*
insserv -f
apt-get upgrade (again)

apt-get upgrade will continue where stopped before.

Terminal

Preconfiguring packages ...
Setting up initscripts (2.88dsf-41+deb7u1) ...
Preparing to replace tzdata 2013c-0wheezy1 (using .../tzdata_2013d-0wheezy1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement tzdata ...
Setting up tzdata (2013d-0wheezy1) ...

Current default time zone: 'Etc/UTC'
Local time is now: Thu Oct 17 16:43:45 UTC 2013.
Universal Time is now: Thu Oct 17 16:43:45 UTC 2013.
Run 'dpkg-reconfigure tzdata' if you wish to change it.

Preparing to replace libbind9-80 1:9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2 (using .../libbind9-80_1%3a9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2+deb7u1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libbind9-80 ...
Setting up libbind9-80 (1:9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2+deb7u1) ...
Preparing to replace libdns88 1:9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2 (using .../libdns88_1%3a9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2+deb7u1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libdns88 ...
Setting up libdns88 (1:9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2+deb7u1) ...
Preparing to replace libisccfg82 1:9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2 (using .../libisccfg82_1%3a9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2+deb7u1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libisccfg82 ...
Setting up libisccfg82 (1:9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2+deb7u1) ...
Preparing to replace liblwres80 1:9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2 (using .../liblwres80_1%3a9.8.4.dfsg.P1-6+nmu2+deb7u1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement liblwres80 ...

Sorry, no, on another thread you said not to worry about it!

"For sure you will hit the issue if updating to Beta2 after the Debian packages were released - because the system is not Beta2 yet. In that case you can happily leave package unconfigured dpkg should be able to roll other packages. Once beta2 finishes install the initscripts package should be pass configuration step without problems. "

dpkg was NOT able to roll the other packages without something being done to deal with initscripts but now you say to deal with it so you can understand my frustration when there isn't a clear consistent response to what is clearly a regular problem for people who end up spending a lot of time trying to get it working!

Perhaps an update to Post 1 would be in order to deal with this is all sorted out.
(18th Oct, 2013 02:54 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]In my case these conflicts were due to wrong apt repo's in apt sources list.

However, before i upgraded today the analog sound quality was amazing (for what you could expect). No more noise during and when pausing movies. However, sadly the apt repository doesn't contain old versions anymore so it's hard to test which version it was. Also, video playback started nearly instantaneous while now you have to wait for about 3 seconds (again).

So generally, is it possible to have the devel repository keep old deb packages so we can also test older versions when necessary. My apt generation script was especially created for XBian to support this multi-version feature. Will return to my previous backup to see if it's better.

thanks for lirc report.

firmware. I put version .7 out to devel (two?) days ago (it is dated Oct-1st) as got feedbacks people installed manually and got no feedback saying differently. previous one was .6 quite long on apt repo, try this one. then .3 was last one shutting down with kernels < 3.10 but I had hickups on audio. both are there http://xbian.brantje.com/devel/rollback/ .

I'm aware of multiversion storage on public repo and this will be continued. I will process to it also other versions which we kept from what ever reason during beta2 development. I wanted to use the script for devel as well but Brantje was struggling to create ssh account so I couldn't prepare structure / update script / check.

Anyhow again, once Beta2 goes out, packages will be just added to official repo as usual, devel will be cleaned and created as per public repo template, only created empty for Beta3 round.

mk

(I have also .4 and .5 version of firmware somewhere - if not, firmware is for sure tagged on git)

(18th Oct, 2013 03:11 AM)numanoids Wrote: [ -> ]dpkg was NOT able to roll the other packages without something being done to deal with initscripts but now you say to deal with it so you can understand my frustration when there isn't a clear consistent response to what is clearly a regular problem for people who end up spending a lot of time trying to get it working!

Perhaps an update to Post 1 would be in order to deal with this is all sorted out.

@numanoids

you are just too quick and I told you that already. This particular package initscripts was rolled out from Debian day or two ago. As Beta2 has not this issue and is only clear that updates from older versions can not be tested each hour, it was only question of hours who will report first. What I wrote was valid and the solution was three posts back over your report that Beta2 upgrade is not working.

then with apt-get install xbian-update not continuing over xbian-package-xbmc BREAK problem was indeed solvable as was repeated in my post "apt-get install xbian-update xbian-package-xbmc" and on many occasions about Kept Back packages (on numerous occasions) - that easiest (and safest) approach is just copy & paste all packages names (kept back) - paste them as parameter to apt-get install command. It was in the 1st Beta2 thread, then not in 2nd because it was follow up and test group was already on Beta2.

Yes indeed I can understand frustration but sometimes it is just useless act of sadomasochisms. Your health is getting a hit at most. So I tried to cool you down, that it IS already posted few times there and solutions is easy.

You just wasn't lucky to find it before I answered. And exactly as you are saying, because we have now four identical reports and my post from yesterday that it is no-chance someone on Beta1X will NOT hit it, we can update opening post. As we now have final confirmations from you, myself, exnor and He4dShOt that it is really working.

So i'm quite sure update finished for you also at this time already and it was a success. Report Back.

Matus Smile

btw: if you join the team to fill in the gap with missing sticky threads about actual issues / solutions, even resurrection of Wiki, we will only appreciate it. Someone would be really required and highly honored (with thanks). Even all know-how is in the Team, maybe even written all over the forum. So now and then just pick the right one and probably consolidate more posts. Nothing highly professionalized.
(18th Oct, 2013 03:36 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]
(18th Oct, 2013 02:54 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]In my case these conflicts were due to wrong apt repo's in apt sources list.

thanks for lirc report.

firmware. I put version .7 out to devel (two?) days ago (it is dated Oct-1st) as got feedbacks people installed manually and got no feedback saying differently. previous one was .6 quite long on apt repo, try this one. then .3 was last one shutting down with kernels < 3.10 but I had hickups on audio. both are there http://xbian.brantje.com/devel/rollback/ .

I'm aware of multiversion storage on public repo and this will be continued. I will process to it also other versions which we kept from what ever reason during beta2 development. I wanted to use the script for devel as well but Brantje was struggling to create ssh account so I couldn't prepare structure / update script / check.

Anyhow again, once Beta2 goes out, packages will be just added to official repo as usual, devel will be cleaned and created as per public repo template, only created empty for Beta3 round.

mk

(I have also .4 and .5 version of firmware somewhere - if not, firmware is for sure tagged on git)

(18th Oct, 2013 03:11 AM)numanoids Wrote: [ -> ]dpkg was NOT able to roll the other packages without something being done to deal with initscripts but now you say to deal with it so you can understand my frustration when there isn't a clear consistent response to what is clearly a regular problem for people who end up spending a lot of time trying to get it working!

@numanoids

you are just too quick and I told you that already. This particular package initscripts was rolled out from Debian day or two ago. As Beta2 has not this issue and is only clear that updates from older versions can not be tested each hour, it was only question of hours who will report first. What I wrote was valid and the solution was three posts back over your report that Beta2 upgrade is not working.

then with apt-get install xbian-update not continuing over xbian-package-xbmc BREAK problem was indeed solvable as was repeated in my post "apt-get install xbian-update xbian-package-xbmc" and on many occasions about Kept Back packages (on numerous occasions) - that easiest (and safest) approach is just copy & paste all packages names (kept back) - paste them as parameter to apt-get install command. It was in the 1st Beta2 thread, then not in 2nd because it was follow up and test group was already on Beta2.

Yes indeed I can understand frustration but sometimes it is just useless act of sadomasochisms. Your health is getting a hit at most. So I tried to cool you down, that it IS already posted few times there and solutions is easy.

You just wasn't lucky to find it before I answered. And exactly as you are saying, because we have now four identical reports and my post from yesterday that it is no-chance someone on Beta1X will NOT hit it, we can update opening post. As we now have final confirmations from you, myself, exnor and He4dShOt that it is really working.

So i'm quite sure update finished for you also at this time already and it was a success. Report Back.

Matus Smile

btw: if you join the team to fill in the gap with missing sticky threads about actual issues / solutions, even resurrection of Wiki, we will only appreciate it. Someone would be really required and highly honored (with thanks). Even all know-how is in the Team, maybe even written all over the forum. So now and then just pick the right one and probably consolidate more posts. Nothing highly professionalized.

Ok I can report that I've managed to upgrade to Beta 2 now I understand the steps. Thank you for that.

Seems to be much snappier however Xbian still does not trigger 3d mode on the television when a 3D movie is played. It detects its as such "3DSBS movie found" is observed from the logfile, but unlike OpenElec and Raspbmc, the television doesn't switch into 3D mode automatically.

I reported this some time ago but I think it got lost in the noise so I'll bring it up again on this. It can't be XBMC related as other distros manage it fine.
I can't simply replicate the analog sound thing i noticed. Putting back my backup from 16-10-13 didn't work either, so don't know what caused the better sound quality.

Small issue. The xbian-config shell XBMC GUI header isn't aligned right.
(18th Oct, 2013 04:19 AM)numanoids Wrote: [ -> ]Seems to be much snappier however Xbian still does not trigger 3d mode on the television when a 3D movie is played. It detects its as such "3DSBS movie found" is observed from the logfile, but unlike OpenElec and Raspbmc, the television doesn't switch into 3D mode automatically.

I reported this some time ago but I think it got lost in the noise so I'll bring it up again on this. It can't be XBMC related as other distros manage it fine.

yes I remember the reports. I even have 3d plasma screen to test, but as I have just 3 or 4 3d movies, never was on my personal list as high priority (like putting hours into looking for all possibilities) - or the other way around - as nobody had clear idea what could be the issue looks like problem for not 1h. So yes, lost in the noise.

i even don't remember that it wasn't switching (could be that I simply ignored that problem). but will at least play 3d movie today/tomorrow to see it again myself and will report back.

looks like for you it is interesting feature so just will ask, RaspBMC / Elec were working from day 1 ok? if not, do you have info / links you remember to be helpful in the solutions? was it settings, was it patch. anything ?

(18th Oct, 2013 05:09 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]I can't simply replicate the analog sound thing i noticed. Putting back my backup from 16-10-13 didn't work either, so don't know what caused the better sound quality.

and the xbmc 2.9-10.10 which is in the same rollback folder? Just looking into Modif date ordered my xbian* devel dir and in past three weeks xbmc in the only one package which with really changed code base - outside firmware which you eliminated and this still only 2 changes for past 5 weeks. then last changed is kernel. I'm testing .15 now, but apt contains .12 which was updates few times as package but this was just recompilation for some wifi modules or plain scripts updates.

check the xbmc.
(17th Oct, 2013 08:45 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]
(17th Oct, 2013 05:35 AM)mpnico Wrote: [ -> ]I tried your suggestions with no luck Sad Maybe I should start again from fresh beta 1 and update to beta 2 just to see if the problem remains.

just out of curiosity you can, but this won't help pinpoint the issue. in the past day only XBMC bins & libs were update + firmware.

you can grab this and try installing.
http://xbian.brantje.com/devel/rollback/xbian-package-firmware1.4-3.deb
http://xbian.brantje.com/devel/rollback/xbian-package-xbmc_2.9-10.10_armhf.deb

for clean install grab the img and flash. 10m of work.
http://xbian.brantje.com/devel/others/xbian.beta2.7z

I completly broke my installation trying to downgrade firmware ignoring a dependency problem with xbian-update package.

So I tried your beta 2 .img but... err... the xbian account password doesn't seems to be "raspberry" ?

EDIT : nevermind I was still booting on my USB Key with my old install. So i started from scratch but the problem is still present with the fresh img... I tried to put the RPi directly on TV and the problem disappears. So this is a problem regarding the AVR, that was not present 10 days ago on beta 2. I now will try beta 1.

EDIT2 : the problem is still here on beta 1.1... I can't understand why this problem started. I tried to change some AVR params regarding HDMI and I was able to fix the problem. Problem solved for now, I hope it never happens again as I hate not being able to understand it.
(18th Oct, 2013 05:46 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]
(18th Oct, 2013 04:19 AM)numanoids Wrote: [ -> ]Seems to be much snappier however Xbian still does not trigger 3d mode on the television when a 3D movie is played. It detects its as such "3DSBS movie found" is observed from the logfile, but unlike OpenElec and Raspbmc, the television doesn't switch into 3D mode automatically.

yes I remember the reports. I even have 3d plasma screen to test, but as I have just 3 or 4 3d movies, never was on my personal as high priority - or the other way around - as nobody had clear idea what could be the issue looks like problem for not 1h.

and even doesn't remember that it wasn't switching (could be that I simply ignored that problem). but will at least play 3d movie today/tomorrow to see it again myself and will report back.

looks like for you it is interesting feature so just will ask, RaspBMC / Elec were working from day 1 ok? if not, do you have info / links you remember to be helpful in the solutions? was it settings, was it patch. anything ?

Normally when manually switching to 3D mode, you lose half the screen buttons or status at the top due to the way it renders the image but when it switches automatically, it resizes the GUI controls to that they are visible in their entirety.

OpenElec and RaspBMC unfortunately work straight out of the box. With RaspBMC I do need to enable to allow it to adjust to video refresh rate but once thats done (already set in Xbian by default), everything else just works.
Downgrading didn't work. Don't know what it was. So let's leave it.
(18th Oct, 2013 06:05 AM)numanoids Wrote: [ -> ]Normally when manually switching to 3D mode, you lose half the screen buttons or status at the top due to the way it renders the image but when it switches automatically, it resizes the GUI controls to that they are visible in their entirety.

OpenElec and RaspBMC unfortunately work straight out of the box. With RaspBMC I do need to enable to allow it to adjust to video refresh rate but once thats done (already set in Xbian by default), everything else just works.

ok, nice that XBMC does this already. even more surprise because I remember forum xbmc hundreds of questions going to developers when finally this will come and it was feb/march ? and there wasn't ANY eta.

for the whole time of this discussion I was thinking of switching TV to 3d that 3d res starts on tv, glasses are turned on etc. as I have the feeling this does my Samsung with XBMC (but will recheck as promised). But definitely not XBMC menu. was always redoing subtitles etc. so from watching a 3d Movie with family needing translation or subtitles started to be nightmare and was never too much interested in.

But again I was living with the thought/info that XBMC can't do that yet.

Will approach Koenn whether he knows more. But strange enough because I have seen those menus on Gotham (not tried but have seen in Movie control during playback). And we have most of Gothams back ports to Frodo 12.2. As XBMC is not officially back porting, those are all XBian or RaspBMC or OpenELEC - they have the most and if I remember even Koen was telling he is checking freshness and functionality against OpenELEC.

Will ask, remind me on Monday if I forget.

(18th Oct, 2013 06:04 AM)mpnico Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT2 : the problem is still here on beta 1.1... I can't understand why this problem started. I tried to change some AVR params regarding HDMI and I was able to fix the problem. Problem solved for now, I hope it never happens again as I hate not being able to understand it.

maybe it's only good you didn't find the cause of it as I found - remember it was very stupid - I told you - and was checking with my wife yesterday (whether she remember that I need this info to pass to forum) and she was LOL again like 20m, but didn't tell me.

but I spent whole night until 5am in the morning not able to solve and she woke up and found me down in living room I found the stupid thing changed, fall a sleep and forgot Big Grin

enjoy

password should be raspberry as @b0rna was/is using the test IMG, in any case you can boot with "init=/sbin/init" in cmdline.txt, it will drop you to XBian root with root privileges and without asking password so just update with "passwd xbian" for xbian or "passed" for root user.
(18th Oct, 2013 08:51 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]ok, nice that XBMC does this already. even more surprise because I remember forum xbmc hundreds of questions going to developers when finally this will come and it was feb/march ? and there wasn't ANY eta.

for the whole time of this discussion I was thinking of switching TV to 3d that 3d res starts on tv, glasses are turned on etc. as I have the feeling this does my Samsung with XBMC (but will recheck as promised). But definitely not XBMC menu. was always redoing subtitles etc. so from watching a 3d Movie with family needing translation or subtitles started to be nightmare and was never too much interested in.

But again I was living with the thought/info that XBMC can't do that yet.

Will approach Koenn whether he knows more. But strange enough because I have seen those menus on Gotham (not tried but have seen in Movie control during playback). And we have most of Gothams back ports to Frodo 12.2. As XBMC is not officially back porting, those are all XBian or RaspBMC or OpenELEC - they have the most and if I remember even Koen was telling he is checking freshness and functionality against OpenELEC.

Will ask, remind me on Monday if I forget.

Great thanks. I'm not sure it was a backport to be honest from Gotham as it has different possibilities from the GUI IIRC but more of a merged patch.

I remember comparing guisettings.xml between versions in case there was something that might've triggered it. XBMC in XBian definitely recognises, it just doesn't tell the TV to change resolution to activate the 3D mode.

I've switched the 3D TV to one of the others just now as its just easier but I'd much prefer to use XBian for all 3 PIs in the house for consistency.
@mk01 after latest updates im xbmc is not starting. xbian-xbmc-bridge does not autostart. xbmc fails to start, message comes up 'starting xbmc' nothing happens.
Also my USB HDD is not being mounted. I can post more logs if needed.

upstart-xbmc-bridge.log
PHP Code:
19/10/2013 00:17:18 upstart_xbmc_bridge started
/10/2013 00:17:19 Connected to XBMC (127.0.0.1:9090)
19/10/2013 00:17:19 Installing signal handler
/10/2013 00:20:36 GUI.OnScreensaverActivated
/10/2013 00:20:36 screen saver activated
/10/2013 00:20:36 Send event: ['initctl''emit''-n''screensaver''ACTION=START']

19/10/2013 00:20:36 Send event: ['initctl''emit''-n''xbmcplevel''LEVEL=1''PREVLEVEL=3']

19/10/2013 00:21:09 GUI.OnScreensaverDeactivated
/10/2013 00:21:09 screen saver deactivated
/10/2013 00:21:09 Send event: ['initctl''emit''-n''screensaver''ACTION=STOP']

19/10/2013 00:21:09 Send event: ['initctl''emit''-n''xbmcplevel''LEVEL=3''PREVLEVEL=1']

19/10/2013 00:23:38 Cannot parse event :  
19/10/2013 00:23:38 Closing
/10/2013 00:35:11 upstart_xbmc_bridge started
/10/2013 00:35:11 Cannot connect to XBMC (127.0.0.1:9090) : [Errno 111Connection refused
/10/2013 00:35:41 Installing signal handler
/10/2013 00:35:41 Closing
/10/2013 00:35:43 upstart_xbmc_bridge started
/10/2013 00:35:43 Cannot connect to XBMC (127.0.0.1:9090) : [Errno 111Connection refused
/10/2013 00:38:51 upstart_xbmc_bridge started
/10/2013 00:38:51 Cannot connect to XBMC (127.0.0.1:9090) : [Errno 111Connection refused
/10/2013 00:39:21 Installing signal handler
/10/2013 00:39:21 Closing
/10/2013 00:39:24 upstart_xbmc_bridge started
/10/2013 00:39:24 Cannot connect to XBMC (127.0.0.1:9090) : [Errno 111Connection refused
/10/2013 00:39:54 Installing signal handler
/10/2013 00:39:54 Closing
/10/2013 00:39:57 upstart_xbmc_bridge started
/10/2013 00:39:57 Cannot connect to XBMC (127.0.0.1:9090) : [Errno 111Connection refused
/10/2013 00:40:27 Installing signal handler
/10/2013 00:40:27 Closing
/10/2013 00:40:29 upstart_xbmc_bridge started
/10/2013 00:40:29 Cannot connect to XBMC (127.0.0.1:9090) : [Errno 111Connection refused 

PHP Code:
root@xbian:~# sudo -i
root@xbian:~#  insserv -v
insservwarningscript 'nfs-common' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv
remove service /etc/init.d/../rc0.d/K01unattended-upgrades
insserv
enable service ../init.d/unattended-upgrades -> /etc/init.d/../rc0.d/K02unattended-upgrades
insserv
remove service /etc/init.d/../rc0.d/K02sendsigs
insserv
enable service ../init.d/sendsigs -> /etc/init.d/../rc0.d/K03sendsigs
insserv
remove service /etc/init.d/../rc0.d/K02klogd
insserv
enable service ../init.d/klogd -> /etc/init.d/../rc0.d/K01klogd
insserv
remove service /etc/init.d/../rc1.d/K02klogd
insserv
enable service ../init.d/klogd -> /etc/init.d/../rc1.d/K01klogd
insserv
remove service /etc/init.d/../rc6.d/K01unattended-upgrades
insserv
enable service ../init.d/unattended-upgrades -> /etc/init.d/../rc6.d/K02unattended-upgrades
insserv
remove service /etc/init.d/../rc6.d/K02sendsigs
insserv
enable service ../init.d/sendsigs -> /etc/init.d/../rc6.d/K03sendsigs
insserv
remove service /etc/init.d/../rc6.d/K02klogd
insserv
enable service ../init.d/klogd -> /etc/init.d/../rc6.d/K01klogd
insserv
creating .depend.boot
insserv
creating .depend.start
insserv
creating .depend.stop 

Im having same issues as @Darkguy although im not sure how it started.
Hey,

last night, I re-installed xbian as I ran into the initscripts issue with B1.1 on apt-get upgrade and after fixing it, auto-start of SSH didn't work any longer. I re-installed B1.1 and eventually upgraded to B2 - so far so good.

I set everything in XBMC up again, including various SMB/CIFS mounts for libraries and numerous add-ons and also installed btsync. I played around with the system had a few random XBMC crashes when using some video add-ons but nothing out of the ordinary. Reboots didn't break the system, SSH and BTSync both auto-started as they were supposed to. Playback of other video-files through SMB worked fine and stable for a few hours.

At one point though, I decided to try a "real" shutdown via XBMC's shut-down menu.

After that, the system looped at the "starting xbmc...", screen which is being displayed for a few minutes, then terminates (a shell login flashes on the screen for half a second or so) and redisplays the "starting xbmc..." screen; this behaviour loops for hours on end.

SSH access is still working, so I tried:

Code:
sudo /usr/local/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone

which brings up XBMC with default values. Exiting this, or rebooting the system from this instance of XBMC leads to the same looping behaviour.

output from dmesg (after the usual boot/device messages):

Code:
[    9.376996] init: failsafe main process (129) killed by TERM signal
[   14.758454] init: xbmc main process (310) terminated with status 255
[  105.310982] init: wait-for-state (zram-swapxbmc-done) main process (307) killed by TERM signal
[  105.994187] zram: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[  106.025204] zram: Created 4 device(s) ...
[  106.589523] Adding 95228k swap on /dev/zram0.  Priority:20 extents:1 across:95228k SS
[  106.993660] init: wait-for-state (xbmcxbmc-loaded) main process (323) terminated with status 100
[  107.304251] Adding 251388k swap on /dev/mmcblk0p3.  Priority:0 extents:1 across:251388k SS
[  107.813865] init: xbmc post-start process (314) terminated with status 1
[  109.092722] device label xbian-root-btrfs devid 1 transid 1224 /dev/mmcblk0p2
[  121.892097] init: xbmc main process (761) terminated with status 255
[  208.760185] init: wait-for-state (xbmcxbmc-loaded) main process (773) terminated with status 100
[  208.967582] init: xbmc post-start process (764) terminated with status 1
[  209.728478] init: xbmc main process (1691) terminated with status 1
[  309.946993] init: wait-for-state (xbmcxbmc-loaded) main process (1694) terminated with status 100
[  310.031374] init: xbmc post-start process (1692) terminated with status 1
[  313.919218] init: xbmc main process (1792) terminated with status 255
[  410.515774] init: wait-for-state (xbmcxbmc-loaded) main process (1795) terminated with status 100
[  410.624732] init: xbmc post-start process (1793) terminated with status 1
[  414.568334] init: xbmc main process (1893) terminated with status 255
[  511.104610] init: wait-for-state (xbmcxbmc-loaded) main process (1896) terminated with status 100
[  511.191304] init: xbmc post-start process (1894) terminated with status 1
[  515.143619] init: xbmc main process (1995) terminated with status 255
[  611.692797] init: wait-for-state (xbmcxbmc-loaded) main process (1998) terminated with status 100
[  611.779217] init: xbmc post-start process (1996) terminated with status 1
[  615.685536] init: xbmc main process (2097) terminated with status 255
[  712.258765] init: wait-for-state (xbmcxbmc-loaded) main process (2100) terminated with status 100
[  712.361402] init: xbmc post-start process (2098) terminated with status 1
[  716.264986] init: xbmc main process (2197) terminated with status 255
[  812.869396] init: wait-for-state (xbmcxbmc-loaded) main process (2200) terminated with status 100
[  812.954779] init: xbmc post-start process (2198) terminated with status 1
[  816.919980] init: xbmc main process (2302) terminated with status 255

My system info:
  • Raspberry Pi, Model B, rev. 2 (512 MB RAM)
  • overclocked via xbian-config to "Medium" settings
  • SanDisk Extreme III 8 GB/Class 6 SDHC card
  • powered through a D-Link DUB-H4 active USB-hub
  • running Xbian Beta2, all packages installed and up-to-date as of right now, additionally installed BTSync 1.1.82-2 through it's own repository as described here

I'd be happy if there was a solution or at least a way to recover to an earlier state, maybe through btrfs snapshots.

Thanks for your replies!
Seems to be some sort of bug which I was able to reproduce on a new install (which I did to make a clean image of the basic configured system, in case it ever happened again...):

Setup xbian 1.0 Beta 2
  • install xbian 1.0 Beta 1.1 to SD-Card, boot
  • configuration: xbian-config (hostname, timezone, overclocking, passwords, etc.)
  • add public-key to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
  • secure key: chmod 700 ~/.ssh && chmod 600 ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
  • evade initscripts bug: sudo rm -R /etc/init.d/mountall*
  • add Beta 2 sources to /etc/apt/sources.list
  • update system: sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
  • install previously held back packages: sudo apt-get install xbian-package-config-shell xbian-package-config-xbmc xbian-package-initramfs-tools xbian-package-kernel xbian-package-splash xbian-package-xbmc xbian-update
  • got an error with xbian-update at the end; forced installation via sudo apt-get -f install
  • system updates and reboots fine after 60 seconds, new status: xbian 1.0 Beta 2

Optional BTsync steps:
  • add btsync repository
  • install btsync: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install btsync
  • create btsync config in /etc/btsync/<file>.conf
  • start BTsync: sudo service btsync start
  • everything still fine
  • reboot (to test if everything gets started): sudo reboot now

"starting xbmc..." boot loop!!! Angry
Reference URL's