Forum

Full Version: Official XBian 1.0 Alpha 5 thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
So - you saying alpha 5 only works with powered hub ???!!!!
He's saying that in your case that could be true, yes. It works fine here without powered USB hub.
So ... what about the weird non-extinguishing blue wifi and over a minute to shut-down compared to alpha 4?
Don't know. Could be related to several things: firmware, kernel, xbmc etc.
(8th Mar, 2013 03:45 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]Don't know. Could be related to several things: firmware, kernel, xbmc etc.

Oh well - back on 4 alpha - seems much more stable.

I'll try again with new dongle over weekend.

I suspect the wifi config or something wifi related is not right in 5 .... I did noticde the shell setup for wifi had changed in 5. But what do I know??!!!

I'm just reporting my experience - that non-extinguished wifi really doesn't look right to me!
(8th Mar, 2013 04:06 AM)castalla Wrote: [ -> ]
(8th Mar, 2013 03:45 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]Don't know. Could be related to several things: firmware, kernel, xbmc etc.

Oh well - back on 4 alpha - seems much more stable.

I'll try again with new dongle over weekend.

I suspect the wifi config or something wifi related is not right in 5 .... I did noticde the shell setup for wifi had changed in 5. But what do I know??!!!

I'm just reporting my experience - that non-extinguished wifi really doesn't look right to me!

you asked for help and we tried to help. Also the advise to always use powered USB hub for any kind of USB devices connected to RPi.
We not saying that we are the cleverest on the world but there are reasons for all we saying Wink
So is really up to you what you do but the development go forward and not backwards
I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers - believe me.

I'm just reporting what I see .... wifi on 4 alpha works as expected. Alpha 5 leaves the wifi light on when shut down. Shutdown takes over 1 minute compared to seconds on 4. Is that normal? And then there are the endless screen lockups - which started off this conversation.

This is subjective - I admit - when using 5 wifi other devices slow to a crawl (and I've seen 2 occasions when the internet router link is knocked out completely). Using 4 the network works as expected.

I'm not brilliant either! But, do me the favour of at least accepting my report as 'real' I'm not making it up!

So far about 1 hour on 4 wifi - no lockups.

I've used the same hardware setup for months and through various iterations of xbian ....
(7th Mar, 2013 05:29 PM)namtih Wrote: [ -> ]
(7th Mar, 2013 04:08 AM)Killerbee Wrote: [ -> ]Scrolling of long titles/names of movies (speelfilms) / music cd's (Albums) in the "recently added items" in the main screen take a lot of cpu. Any possibility to switch this of?

It's a known bug of the Pi edition. Every time you see a scrolling text the CPU usage will stay at nearly 100%. You can also see it in the Addons menu, when an addon has a long description text.
I think the only workaround is to modify the skin. Or for the addon issue I edited the xml files of the addons and removed the long description text.

There is already an issue ticket, so hopefully there will be a fix for it as it is very annoying:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14136
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=156320

Thanks for now I switched of the "recently added movies" and "recently added music" feature in the theme.
CPU stays between 25% and 30%.

KB
i have a problem upgrading:

xbian@xbian:~# cat /etc/xbian_version
1.0a4
xbian@xbian:~#

I did the apt-get update and then:

xbian@xbian:~# sudo apt-get install xbian-update
[...]
Unpacking xbian-package-firmware (from .../xbian-package-firmware_1.3_armhf.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xbian-package-firmware_1.3_armhf.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/opt/vc/include/WF/wfc.h', which is also in package xbian-update 1.0-0.4
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/xbian-package-firmware_1.3_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
xbian@xbian:~#

Some help appreciated...
@effemmeffe, it's a bug in one of our packages. Can you do:
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-firmware=1.2
sudo apt-get install xbian-update

@Koenkk, can you recreate the firmware package and thereby copying these exact two lines: https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian-deb-sources/blob/master/firmware/1.2/control#L9-L10
(8th Mar, 2013 06:24 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]@effemmeffe, it's a bug in one of our packages. Can you do:
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-firmware=1.2
sudo apt-get install xbian-update

Quite scaring:
xbian@xbian:~# sudo apt-get install xbian-package-firmware=1.2
[sudo] password for xbian:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
bc crda dnsmasq-base exfat-fuse exfat-utils fbset fontconfig-config gir1.2-glib-2.0 hfsplus hfsprogs hfsutils iw
klogd libaacs0 libass-dev libass4 libbluray-dev libbluray1 libdbi1 libenca-dev libenca0 libevtlog0 libexpat1-dev
libfontconfig1 libfontconfig1-dev libfreetype6-dev libgirepository-1.0-1 libhfsp0 libiw30 libjasper-dev libjasper1
libjim0debian2 libjson0 libmongo-client0 libnet1 libnetfilter-conntrack3 libnl-route-3-200 libnm-glib4 libnm-util2
libplist1 libsyslog-ng-3.3.5 libsystemd-daemon0 libva1 modemmanager network-manager pv python-dbus python-dbus-dev
python-gi sysklogd ttf-dejavu-core usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data wireless-regdb wireless-tools
xbian-package-config-shell xbian-package-config-xbmc xbian-package-lirc
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
hfsplus hfsprogs hfsutils klogd libhfsp0 libva1 sysklogd watchdog xbian-package-config-shell
xbian-package-config-xbmc xbian-package-kernel3.6.11 xbian-package-lirc xbian-package-xbmc
Suggested packages:
hfsutils-tcltk
The following packages will be REMOVED:
xbian-package-config xbian-update
The following NEW packages will be installed:
hfsplus hfsprogs hfsutils klogd libhfsp0 libva1 sysklogd watchdog xbian-package-config-shell
xbian-package-config-xbmc xbian-package-firmware
The following packages will be upgraded:
xbian-package-kernel3.6.11 xbian-package-lirc xbian-package-xbmc
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
xbian-update xbian-package-config (due to xbian-update)
3 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 2 to remove and 82 not upgraded.
Need to get 3262 kB/58.0 MB of archives.
After this operation, 1304 kB of additional disk space will be used.
You are about to do something potentially harmful.
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'

Do I really have to do that?
Yes, then install xbian-update
No, dont do that
Why not?
Was a reply to effemeffe Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Reference URL's