Forum

Full Version: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 2 thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
(1st Dec, 2013 07:34 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]
(24th Nov, 2013 03:51 PM)kraleksandr Wrote: [ -> ]When I try to open \\xbian samba share, I see 5 folders there. But the smb.conf file contains only 3 of them. Where is .conf for other folders?

@kraleksandr

xbmc-backup share and automounted external drives are created as dynamic records via "net" tool/command as needed.

xbmc-backup at /etc/init/restore-home.conf and ext drives in script which is part of xbian-package-usbmount package. what you would like to change for them ?
My smb.conf at this time contains only 3 folders: xbian, xbian-xbmc, system-logs. But when I go to //xbian, I see there 3 folders from smb.conf AND 2 additional folders: hdd (USB-HDD labeled "hdd") and xbmc-backup. Where I can configure the last 2 folders, for example, make the "hdd" folder writable by user "xbian"?
(20th Nov, 2013 07:19 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]
(20th Nov, 2013 06:44 AM)Tero Turtiainen Wrote: [ -> ]But then I made SSH connection to the RasPi and found that the root file system was mounted read-only. For example running xbian-config outputted lots of the error message about the read-only file system. I thought that maybe reboot will fix this (I am a Linux guy, so I wonder why I decided to use the best method for fixing Windows problems...). Big mistake. Now the system goes to kernel panic at 2 seconds after the boot.

I got the same results so there seems to be something seriously wrong with the latest update package.

Also, ssh login is again slow as hell...

CurlyMo, CurlyMo, where for art thou CurlyMo? XBian has gone down hill at a rollercoaster rate since you left. Only XBian 1.0 A5 is usable and it suffers from too many crashes and hangs as well. Apologies to all who have worked so hard but to see a news post titled "XBian 1.0 Beta 2, we are proud" is just sad because it doesn't seem like you should be proud of the result if the first few posts on this thread are any indication. Proud of the effort I guess, but not the result. XBian should have been version 1 a long time ago but still it struggles to release a reliable update. XBian is all bleeding, no edge. Sorry, I know it must be very hard to read such comments but I feel them to be true. I really don't want to press "Post Reply" but without honest feedback, maybe the project will not improve?
(7th Dec, 2013 12:21 AM)raspberry_pd Wrote: [ -> ]
(20th Nov, 2013 07:19 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]
(20th Nov, 2013 06:44 AM)Tero Turtiainen Wrote: [ -> ]But then I made SSH connection to the RasPi and found that the root file system was mounted read-only. For example running xbian-config outputted lots of the error message about the read-only file system. I thought that maybe reboot will fix this (I am a Linux guy, so I wonder why I decided to use the best method for fixing Windows problems...). Big mistake. Now the system goes to kernel panic at 2 seconds after the boot.

I got the same results so there seems to be something seriously wrong with the latest update package.

CurlyMo, CurlyMo, where for art thou CurlyMo? XBian has gone down hill at a rollercoaster rate since you left. Only XBian 1.0 A5 is usable and it suffers from too many crashes and hangs as well. Apologies to all who have worked so hard but to see a news post titled "XBian 1.0 Beta 2, we are proud" is just sad because it doesn't seem like you should be proud of the result if the first few posts on this thread are any indication. Proud of the effort I guess, but not the result. XBian should have been version 1 a long time ago but still it struggles to release a reliable update. XBian is all bleeding, no edge. Sorry, I know it must be very hard to read such comments but I feel them to be true. I really don't want to press "Post Reply" but without honest feedback, maybe the project will not improve?

Yes we all know beta2 it's a bumpy ride.... But trust me the new file system (BTRFS), and xbian-package structure has a lot of potential.

If you don't like beta2, stick to alpha 5 and wait for the beta3 or Xbian 1.
If you don't like Xbian at all, try another XBMC flavour for the pi. You are free to choose.

A week point, from my point of view, is documentation!
A global overview of all xbian-packages with their function would be very help full.

KB
@raspberry_pd

As I replied to your Beta 1 complaint - we never ever see you on the testing team - you moan, exceedingly well like an old aged pensioner, but never ever want to help. That is your choice, same as your choice to use Xbian - as you have done since Alpha 5.

You are free to use OpenElec as too Raspbmc but you do not - maybe you just like griping?

In the real world - Beta 2 is a stable and usable platform for the RPi. Yes there are a few issues but they are concentrated around peripherals rather than the core system. The reason? The testing team do not posses the multitudes of different receivers, keyboards nor mice. Let alone USB drives, NAS or other storage devices available.

If you are so enraged, then I will gladly give you an address where you can send all of the additional peripherals that you judge that need to be tested prior to a release.

Also, as you seem to have time on your hands how about volunteering to write the documentation for Beta2 as you know it so well.

I look forward to your moans and groans about Xbian 1.
@IriDium: totally agree! XBian Beta 2 is by far the best release yet. It runs super smooth and without any crashes for me even without super-heavy overclocking or running it from USB. I've just used a 16GB SDHC Card and never had corruption whatsoever Smile thanks so much to the developer team. Please don't take that guy too serious that you wouldn't want to continue your outstanding work.
(5th Dec, 2013 07:13 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]sam397,

normally no network connection doesn't matter as standard devices have RTC. but RPI does not. RPI without internet (or local ntp server)

will always start at 1/1/1970.

you CAN"T imagine how terrible things can happen due a simple fact nobody (app programmer, system programmer) is expecting - numbers going

backwards. or small break (1s) which will never occur. Smile

just wan't to say, system as software will work of course but sqlite db, maintenance on it and possible other could have undesired

endings.

Thank you for your good explanation. I wasn't aware of the need for correct time, but it makes sense Smile

As you requested I installed package 'xbian-update_1.0.2-11_armhf.deb' from here (xbian-update_1.0.2-11a_armhf.deb was not available, got a 404 - not found). Installation succeeded. In xbmc when i select "Power off System" xbmc exits and i get to 'login xbian:'. This is fine because now the described problem does not occure any more. As I described in my earlier post it seems the problem occurres only once I selected "Power off System" from the xbian menu and then a progressbar appears and shows "shutting down..." and finally "system halted."

So for me the problem is solved. And since my scenario seems to be a little bit "special" (at least no other one has reported this behaviour) we don't have to go into more details on that.

Last question: What is the recommended way to power off xbian?
a) power off the Pi while on the xbmc home screen
b) power off the Pi while on the "login xbian:" screen
c) shutdown the operating system then power off the Pi
(7th Dec, 2013 12:21 AM)raspberry_pd Wrote: [ -> ]
(20th Nov, 2013 07:19 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ][...]

I can only write a killer version if i think this version isn't which i don't. Not the first time we disagreed Wink
Also, SSH is fast again after a couple of hours running. Could be related to defrag or other system services that are optimizing itself.
The FS read-only issues are also gone.

However, i do strongly agree with @Killerbee. New features are awesome only if ordinary users know how to use them.
(29th Nov, 2013 12:58 AM)ringlord Wrote: [ -> ]
(27th Nov, 2013 10:54 PM)Swift Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,

after updating from 1.1 to Beta 2 I cannot access xbian-config from within the gui any longer (works via SSH). The loading screen of xbian config crashes exactly at 28% (I think it says "reading packages" before crashing). Any ideas?

Otherwise I'm pretty satisfied with Beta2. Really improved performance!

Cheers,
FLO

I have exactly the same issue. I posted the log earlier in this thread but then read the comments that this should be done via pastebin. I still have to do that.

Yesterday I changed in sources.list
Code:
deb http://xbian.brantje.com/ wheezy main
into
Code:
deb http://xbian.brantje.com/ stable main

and I did an update.
I saw that xbian-config-packages or similar was upgraded, and that fixed the issues I had in the GUI
(6th Dec, 2013 11:02 PM)kraleksandr Wrote: [ -> ]My smb.conf at this time contains only 3 folders: xbian, xbian-xbmc, system-logs. But when I go to //xbian, I see there 3 folders from smb.conf AND 2 additional folders: hdd (USB-HDD labeled "hdd") and xbmc-backup. Where I can configure the last 2 folders, for example, make the "hdd" folder writable by user "xbian"?

there is more ways to achieve this:

1) disable write sharing auto mounted drives (or sharing completely) and define your own in /etc/samba/user.conf -

2) take usbmount package from staging (ver 1.0.5-1b). there is SHARELT parameter in /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf default set to "no" which allows you to limit RW access
set it "yes" to allow writes only for authenticated user xbian. guest is RO.

(settings inside usbmount.conf are valid (global) for all auto mounted drives. there is no custom config per drive possible without manual tuning)
Software
XBian version: 1.0 Beta 2
XBMC version: latest
Overclock settings: Turbo

Hardware
Power supply rating: 1Amp
RPi model (model B 512mb):
SD card size and make/type: 4Gb ICIDU
Network (wireless or LAN): LAN
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, etc.): TV, USB (2Tb)

Logile
Link to logfile(s):
http://pastebin.com/rz5nFYK0

Problem description:
I have auto-update on, so today I got a message in XBMC that it needed to reboot which I did. After that, it got stuck somehow in a loop when starting XBMC (please see log above). Apparently the mount failed. Is there something I can do to resolve this?
Same issue on my XBian. Sorry, I will not be able to help in testing, because I'm stuck at work.
If you find the cure, post it here, please.
Thanks.
apt-get update
apt-get install --reinstall xbian-package-kernel

wrong package got into pool by mistake.

version will stay the same 1.3-6.3 but content will be right
(13th Dec, 2013 10:01 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]apt-get update
apt-get install --reinstall xbian-package-kernel

wrong package got into pool by mistake.

version will stay the same 1.3-6.3 but content will be right

Great. XBMC never starts. Can't log into SSH now. Bootloop occurs....
after 100 seconds without xbmc being started failover job will start all services.
Thanks, that worked. Phew!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Reference URL's