Forum

Full Version: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 2 thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
@Smultie All I did was run upgrade via ssh xbian-config (apt-get upgrade will throw errors about packages kept back).

I got a number of errors about rootfs (I think) or was it autofs!! So I selected them one by one until, xbian-update then rebooted and finished off the upgrade.

...and it is still running off of the USB.
(4th Feb, 2014 12:37 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]apt-get upgrade will throw errors about packages kept back

I don't think this is an error. it's just the normal behaviour. If there is a big update like XBian Beta 2 --> RC1 you can run apt-get dist-upgrade. and if there are just one or two packages that are kept back for dependency reasons you can manually execute apt-get install...
but from the xbian-config dialog is a good choice as well ;-)
So, today I updated to xbian-update_1.0.2-16h and can't start anymore. Previously I had xbian-update_1.0.2-16f and everthing worked.
The system hangs during booting at "Network started" at the flash.
So I changed to nosplash in the cmdline.txt and the last command he started was xbian-failed-start and the booting freezes.
I already reverted to old initramfs.gz from before the update and changed to daily snapshots from the previous day for root, home and modules, but nothing seems to work and it still hangs at the start.

EDIT:
Sorry, this happens when after a time using turbo mode prevents your PI from starting Angel.
(3rd Feb, 2014 06:44 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]this is because there is no movies or videos in library. because advancedsettings.xml config was emptied. can you confirm ?

That is correct. Seems obvious, when you know!
Terminal
(Reading database ... 33183 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace xbian-update 1.0.2-16g (using .../xbian-update_1.0.2-16h_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xbian-update ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xbian-update_1.0.2-16h_armhf.deb (--unpack):
unable to sync file '/boot/cmdline.new.dpkg-new': Input/output error
Bus error
root@xbian:~# ls
Segmentation fault
Why xbian-update always kills my pi!
Maybe and endless while loop?

I have to take the SD card to a computer. Restore the cmdline.txt file and boot my pi
Run dpkg --configure -a

KB
Upgraded to RC1 and been running ok until tonight. I was messing around with overclocking and now my pi gets stuck at init process screen. I did also mess a bit with config.txt to try and get back to 'normal'

Any ideas before I start from a fresh install ?

Update: I reformatted the SD Card and did a fresh install.

Thanks
@Airwolfuk

(almost) always in such a situation system is ok, just /boot partition messed up (or kernel, or other firmware file).

keep backup of /boot files and if such a disaster happen, check just those and save you time and system.
@mk01 Since the latest upgrade, I have noticed that the shutdown time is now seconds rather than minutes.

If this was intentional, then well done - otherwise ooops.
(5th Feb, 2014 11:03 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]@Airwolfuk

(almost) always in such a situation system is ok, just /boot partition messed up (or kernel, or other firmware file).

keep backup of /boot files and if such a disaster happen, check just those and save you time and system.

Thanks mk01, i'll remember that next time.

Something else that sometimes happens is after the upgrade to RC1, my Pi gets stuck at the starting xbmc screen

I am currently researching this but any ideas would be welcome
GUI resolution is somehow reverting itself to something like 480p even though I put the correct advancedsettings.xml in the right place. additionally I can't write to my external hdd (connected to XBian) via samba since the RC1 update Sad
In dmesg I see this:
[ 47.006606] EXT4-fs (sda): warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
[ 47.044154] EXT4-fs (sda): mounted filesystem without journal. Opts: (null)

How do I correct it?
I had this issue some times ago with beta 1 and another SD card, now I bought a new one, 8G class 10 and got a fresh install of beta 2.
Any idea why my update won't work? Here's the log after a normal update, which mentioned that few packages were kept back:

xbian@xbian ~ $ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
btrfs-tools xbian-package-cec xbian-package-config-shell xbian-package-config-xbmc xbian-package-initramfs-tools xbian-package-kernel xbian-update
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
xbian@xbian ~ $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
xbian-package-config-xbmc xbian-package-upstart-xbmc-bridge xbian-package-xbmc-gotham-nightly xbian-package-xbmc-scripts xbian-update
The following NEW packages will be installed:
autofs f2fs-tools ipcalc libp11-kit-dev libvncserver0 xbian-package-vnc-server
The following packages have been kept back:
xbian-package-cec
The following packages will be upgraded:
btrfs-tools xbian-package-config-shell xbian-package-initramfs-tools xbian-package-kernel
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
xbian-update xbian-package-upstart-xbmc-bridge (due to xbian-update)
4 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 5 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 21.0 MB of archives.
After this operation, 75.7 MB disk space will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially harmful.
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
?] no
Abort.
xbian@xbian ~ $ dpkg -l 'xbian-*'
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-==================================-======================-======================-=========================================================================
ii xbian-package-cec 1.1-0.4 armhf cec for XBian.
un xbian-package-config <none> (no description available)
ii xbian-package-config-shell 2.1.6-51a armhf Configuration utility for XBian.
ii xbian-package-config-xbmc 1.1.4-3a armhf Configuration utility for XBian.
ii xbian-package-firmware 1.4.13-1 armhf Firmware for XBian. (Jan 10 2014 16:54:51 Copyright © 2012 Broadcom ver
ii xbian-package-initramfs-tools 1.3.1-5d armhf Initramfs handling tools.
ii xbian-package-kernel 1.3-5.5 armhf Latest XBian kernel for the Raspberry Pi (3.10.12+)
un xbian-package-kernel-headers <none> (no description available)
un xbian-package-kernel3.6.11 <none> (no description available)
ii xbian-package-libshairport 1.0-1 armhf libshairport for XBian
ii xbian-package-libtag 1.0-2 armhf libtag for XBian
ii xbian-package-lirc 1.4-8.8 armhf Remote controller deamon.
un xbian-package-networkfs <none> (no description available)
ii xbian-package-samba 2.0.0-4 armhf Windows <--> linux filesharing.
ii xbian-package-shairplay 1.0-1 armhf libshairplay for XBian
ii xbian-package-splash 1.0.1-4 armhf Splash screen.
ii xbian-package-upstart-xbmc-bridge 1.1.0-6 armhf Bridge between xbmc event and upstart
ii xbian-package-usbmount 1.0.5-2a all automatically mount and unmount USB mass storage devices
rc xbian-package-xbmc 2.9-10.13 armhf Frodo nightly.
ii xbian-package-xbmc-gotham-nightly 2.9-10.25 armhf Gotham nightly
ii xbian-package-xbmc-scripts 1.0.1-23a armhf XBian XBMC upstart scripts.
ii xbian-package-zram-swap 1.0-4.8a armhf zram-swap custom xbian package
un xbian-packate-vnc-server <none> (no description available)
ii xbian-update 1.0.2-9a armhf Updater package to XBian 1.0 Beta2
xbian@xbian ~ $
@ikke for each package that is kept back do a
Code:
sudo apt-get install btrfs-tools
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-cec
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-config-shell
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-config-xbmc
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-initramfs-tools
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-kernel
sudo apt-get install xbian-update
Same here as ikke.
[strike]I tried what xraxor said and after sudo apt-get install btrfs-tools i got:[/strike]

A reboot solved the problem.
(5th Feb, 2014 06:31 AM)Airwolfuk Wrote: [ -> ]Upgraded to RC1 and been running ok until tonight. I was messing around with overclocking and now my pi gets stuck at init process screen. I did also mess a bit with config.txt to try and get back to 'normal'

Any ideas before I start from a fresh install ?

Update: I reformatted the SD Card and did a fresh install.

Thanks
I have the same problem use putty using the following code and everything works again
apt-get upgrade
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Reference URL's