Forum

Full Version: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 2 thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
@Smultie

I can't tell (that doesn't mean it will not)

what problems with usb you have? btw, just remembered something, will post link in 5.

http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1515-post-19984.html#pid19984
so yes, there were changes to usb too
(25th Jan, 2014 04:52 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]@Smultie

I can't tell (that doesn't mean it will not)

what problems with usb you have? btw, just remembered something, will post link in 5.

http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1515-post-19984.html#pid19984
so yes, there were changes to usb too

For a few users, their USB install stopped working last week. Reinstalling the complete beta 2 and trying to get back to running from USB has failed.
1. if I didn't miss something we are still and again speaking about the same regression in btrfs kernel code (inability to create COPY) - but it is not related to USB. simply the function does not work.

http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1770-post-20235.html#pid20235

2. have to see the posts to have idea (about "usb install stopped working"). still have ~50 new posts to go.
@Smultie

I was expecting something new. But if you still mean that one incident, about /boot partition I told you and yes, exactly that one is the regression in stable kernel.

New kernel is week or two in devel for testing and yes it is that one we are discussing now.
(if you will install the kernel, you have to grab all packages - there are dependencies set. or you can wait and you will get the packages when I move them today or tomorrow).
(25th Jan, 2014 05:47 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]@Smultie

I was expecting something new. But if you still mean that one incident, about /boot partition I told you and yes, exactly that one is the regression in stable kernel.

New kernel is week or two in devel for testing and yes it is that one we are discussing now.
(if you will install the kernel, you have to grab all packages - there are dependencies set. or you can wait and you will get the packages when I move them today or tomorrow).

Okay, in that case I will wait for the new updates.
Wasn't 100% clear to me that you are working on it!
I was merging btrfs patches on 11-Jan. Few days after then uploaded to devel - when I was sure it's ok with me.

Nothing will come to be forgotten… don't be afraid.

Maybe I will ask Brantje if he can't create one sticky forum where the first and only post would be updated with package names and repo name if package changed. So one would see if there is going to happen some change.
(btw: if you don't see me on forum online - the most work is happening exactly at that point)
Thanks for the reply mk01. To answer your question it's the turbo option in overclocking, not the force option.

I'll try the turbo overclock once the changes are released on stable.
@min

yes, that matches the profile (affected by this "fix").
Hi, I have a problem with "booting" from USB, i triend to make xbian copier but in my case it freezes in the middle, then i made new install of xbian, and succesfully copied to my usb device and after changes in comandline it rebooted from my usb. But after apt-update and upgrade it will not boot anymore (im using wifi dongle, powered from usb hub, disk is also on usb hub but it also have its own external power. Any suggestions?
root@xbian:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
xbian-package-config-shell xbian-package-initramfs-tools
xbian-package-kernel xbian-update
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

More specifically:

xbian-package-config-shell : Depends: btrfs-tools (>= 1.0-xbian2) but 1.0-xbian1 is to be installed
Some general comment of the update verbosity. What i miss is some feedback on what's happening while updating and if it succeeded. All updates until Alpha 5 told the user what is was doing and if it worked. I think knowing this also makes it a lot easier to debug. A small example. Just copy everything at once in SSH can press enter:
Code:
printf '[          ] retrieving current XBian version'; sleep 1s; printf '\r'; \
printf '[ beta 2   ] retrieving current XBian version\n'; \
printf '[ skip     ] applying Beta 1.1 hotfix\n'; \
printf '[          ] applying Beta 2 updates'; sleep 3s; printf '\r'; \
printf '[ done     ] applying Beta 2 updates\n'; \
printf '[          ] checking for modules volume'; sleep 1s; printf '\r'; \
printf '[ present  ] checking for modules volume\n'; printf '\r'; \
printf '[          ] updating services'; sleep 3s; printf '\r'; \
printf '[ success  ] updating services\n'; sleep 1s; printf '\r'; \
printf '[          ] removing non-used services\n'; printf '\r'; \
printf '[ success  ] + succussfully removed samba\n'; sleep 1s; printf '\r'; \
printf '[ success  ] + succussfully removed apache\n'; sleep 1s; printf '\r'; \
printf '[ success  ] + succussfully removed proftpd\n'; sleep 1s; printf '\r'; \
printf '[ failed   ] - failed to remove pilight\n'; printf '\r'; \
printf '[          ] updating modules'; sleep 3s; printf '\r'; \
printf '[ done     ] updating modules\n'; printf '\r'; \
printf '[          ] checking interfaces'; sleep 2s; printf '\r'; \
printf '[ done     ] checking interfaces\n'; printf '\r'; \
printf '[          ] patching files\n'; sleep 1s; printf '\r'; \
printf '[ success  ] + successfully patched xbmc guisettings.xml\n'; sleep 1s; printf '\r'; \
printf '[ failed   ] + permission denied on xbmc advancedsettings.xml\n'; sleep 1s; printf '\r'; \
printf '[ partial  ] update completed\n'; printf '\r'; \
printf '[**********] in case of failed updates, contact us @ forum.xbian.org\n'; printf '\r';
Gratz on RC1!!!

USB install seems to be getting better (I love the progress bar!). Still won't boot from /dev/sda1 after going through the complete "Xbian copier" (option 6 from xbian-config).

Also, "Backup /home to file" generates a 20 bytes backup_home_2014-01-26-1332.img.gz in a couple of seconds. So something is obviously wrong there as well.

Hhmm. Xbmc GUI resolution is at 480p or something and I'm missing my loaded movies and series.
Also can't change it from xbian-config "Failed to change XBMC GUI resolution"
@Smultie

apt-get update will do. the version was added a bit later.
(26th Jan, 2014 11:07 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]@Smultie

apt-get update will do. the version was added a bit later.

No new packages to install.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Reference URL's