Forum

Full Version: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 2 thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
(24th Nov, 2013 08:18 AM)agent5150 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so upgrade to Beta 2 when smoothly on two PIs. Running great.

Notice an annoying issue with how navigation has changed in respect to TV shows.
Beta 1.1: TV Shows>List of Shows>Show A seasons list>Season 1 episodes list. If I press back/return button, it used to go back to previous screen. example. If I am Show A season list screen, back/return will take me back to list of shows screen. Since Beta two, no matter where you are pressing back/return takes you back to the main menu with TV shows selected. Is this a bug? I can't figure out if this was a setting based change. Can someone with TV shows confirm this behavior.. I can't be the only one experiencing this issue.

@agent5150

this looks like remote control mapping issue rather than xbmc as this is still working as should (as you described). so going back is going back, not returning you to the main menu.

can you turn on debug logging in xbmc and track the keys (and mapping) which xbmc is reading from RC? maybe you find something (at least that pressing BACK or RETURN is triggering the same mapped function in xbmc for you - returning to main menu).

you can post the log to pastebin for instance.

(24th Nov, 2013 03:51 PM)kraleksandr Wrote: [ -> ]When I try to open \\xbian samba share, I see 5 folders there. But the smb.conf file contains only 3 of them. Where is .conf for other folders?

@kraleksandr

xbmc-backup share and automounted external drives are created as dynamic records via "net" tool/command as needed.

xbmc-backup at /etc/init/restore-home.conf and ext drives in script which is part of xbian-package-usbmount package. what you would like to change for them ?

(25th Nov, 2013 09:48 AM)particleman Wrote: [ -> ]FAT-fs (mmcblk0p1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
I ran dosfsck -t -a -w /dev/sdb1 which shows no errors but the message remains? Also disk utility states that partition is clean when using the repair option.

[just to comment the sdb1 repair, this makes no sense as RPI can boot only from mmcblk0p1 and always will even if you use USB storage to run the system]

this is probably the case for most of us. I wasn't able to track the issue down in details whether the partition is broken irreparably (but still able to read/write data), or it is just "not clean" not being cleared, or even others.

if you hit this case only way "resolving" this (or get rid of the report) known to me is to reformat the partition. there is undocumented script which will do this for you while preserving data on /boot. you can run it as
Code:
sudo xbian-reformat-boot

(25th Nov, 2013 11:03 PM)Freddie299 Wrote: [ -> ]fyi, devs: The ssh issue I had is now solved. Not sure what exactly the problem was, but switching from openssh to dropbear and back did the trick.

Besides: The beta 2 is amazingly great! Thank you everyone who contributed!

@Freddie299

I wanted to post commend earlier about this but had no time to write down everything I wanted, so sorry to react on your post so late.

Anyhow the issue for you is caused by change in Beta2 in the way how sshd is started. It is not started as regular daemon anymore, but it is spawned from inetd daemon. This is directly related to changing the listening port for you and most probably indirectly related to the chroot environment - I tried to find some insights about this combination (inetd & chrooted sshd setup) - but I wasn't successful.

the solution would be to disable ssh in xbian-config (or manually by editing /etc/inetd.conf if you prefer) and use standard way of starting sshd by sysv or upstart script again.

I included this standalone startup script in 1.0.2-11a version of xbian-update package which is available at devel repo (http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/devel/main/x/xbian-update/xbian-update_1.0.2-11a_armhf.deb). the ssh is started as daemon with upstart script /etc/init/ssh-nid.conf and is disabled by default. you can enable it by removing "manual" stanza from /etc/init/ssh-nid.override.

of course you can run both in parallel, just change ssh port found in /etc/inetd.conf configuration. sshd started from ssh-nid script will read port from /etc/ssh/sshd_config as you are used to.

hope this helps
mk

(26th Nov, 2013 06:59 AM)particleman Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry I should have explained that I had removed the sd card and put it in my Debian machine to dosfsck which read it as /dev/sdb and sdb1 as fat partition. Sorry for not being more clear. This is df-h
xbian@xbian ~ $ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 7.2G 1.4G 5.7G 20% /
/dev/sdb 7.5G 1.0G 6.3G 14% /media/xbian-copy
So I'm assuming that it is not being used as I intended it to be (as /).

the issue there is probably caused with the fact you made a clone to /dev/sdb (instead of using partition). although in general this works for btrfs, there could be some issues within booting stage as we never considered this scenario being used - all the code within initramfs booting process assumes a partition to exists (as it wants to check for resize need, as it wants to create swap partition at the end of storage media and possibly others).

we will add a blocking option to xbian-config xbianclone function to return with error if destination device is not a partition. later we can review the initramfs package to implement such scenario.

for you a way would be to create partition on the dest drive (with fdisk, parted or even under windows or other linux) and then use of /dev/sdb1 as destination in contrast to /dev/sdb.
All packages are working again. I'm testing staging, devel and stable.
(26th Nov, 2013 07:44 AM)calisro Wrote: [ -> ]Here is a dmesg after a DDing the image and a boot. /home didn't mount and I can see errors in dmesg. What do you think? If I issue a 'mount -a' it mounts though which is interesting. Sure seems like corrupted SD card but I never had a problem on 1.1 even if I DD my old backup image back and run that for a while.

http://pastebin.com/8jnuqt61

@calisro

can you try removing "smsc95xx.turbo_mode=Y" or even "elevator=cfq" also from /boot/cmdline.txt before first boot and try booting?

(27th Nov, 2013 10:54 PM)Swift Wrote: [ -> ]after updating from 1.1 to Beta 2 I cannot access xbian-config from within the gui any longer (works via SSH). The loading screen of xbian config crashes exactly at 28% (I think it says "reading packages" before crashing). Any ideas?

this is caused by not being able to refresh packages list. I suppose your /etc/apt/sources.list files contains line
Code:
deb mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt wheezy main

?

if yes, can you change to
Code:
deb http://xbian.brantje.com wheezy main
and re-try ?

if still crashing, try from within ssh session
Code:
sudo xbian-config packages updatedb

fix for this case is included in xbian-package-config-shell package currently available on devel repo at http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/devel/main/x/xbian-package-config-shell/xbian-package-config-shell_2.1.6-52a_armhf.deb .

if you would like to test the fix, you can install that package by
Code:
sudo -i
cd /tmp
wget http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/devel/main/x/xbian-package-config-shell/xbian-package-config-shell_2.1.6-52a_armhf.deb
dpkg -i xbian-package-config-shell_2.1.6-52a_armhf.deb

then you should be able to start xbian-config-xbmc normally.

(28th Nov, 2013 03:58 AM)xuser Wrote: [ -> ]Anybody else having problems with audio/video sync? For me it goes out of sync when I hit pause and then resume play. When I hit stop and then resume where it left off there is no issue. I did not have such problems with beta 1.1. I did a clean install because upgrading didn't work.

@xuser

what is your setup? hdmi or analog audio? audio passthrough with AVR or directly connected to TV. is it related to video files of specific type only, or general for all (audio as DTS, DD, AAC or MP3)?

more info would be appreciated. also, will this out of sync situation correct itself during playing rest if the video or it stays constant? approximately how much is it out of sync (x0 ms, x00 of ms or even seconds)?

(maybe can you test newer RPI firmware available at devel repo? you can install it with following steps:
Code:
sudo -i
cd /tmp
wget http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/devel/main/x/xbian-package-firmware/xbian-package-firmware_1.4-8a_armhf.deb
dpkg -i xbian-package-firmware_1.4-8a_armhf.deb
Just updated a pi to 1beta2 and after a few problems it's finally running.

First impressions are good but I have noticed the following (note that once 1b2 was up i updated from xbian config within xbmc to the latest versions)...

In the system/xbian menu you can't scroll down the menu items fully with a mouse.
Bogomips now shows 2.00, this can't be right.
No temperature on the GPU shown.
time zone needs to be reset.
frame rate shown seems to be half that of 1b1.1 - again not right surely?

That's all from a few tests.....I hope this might be of some use?

Skywatch
(30th Nov, 2013 09:01 PM)sam397 Wrote: [ -> ]However i have one issue: When i start my pi without a LAN cable plugged in (which is my main scenario) the start sequence hangs at "starting xmbc...". The progres bar keeps moving for over a minute then the screen switches to black and shows "xbian login:".

@sam397

by any chance is your eth0 IP setting static?

can you test fix for similar situation contained in xbian-update version 1.0.2-10 or higher currently available on devel repo?

you can install the package by
Code:
sudo -i
cd /tmp
wget http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/devel/main/x/xbian-update/xbian-update_1.0.2-11a_armhf.deb
dpkg -i xbian-update_1.0.2-11a_armhf.deb
reboot

(30th Nov, 2013 04:56 PM)agotttoli Wrote: [ -> ]I tried ssh too and when I type 'ls' appears '??' instead of an accented letter.

@agotttoli

can you set proper locale (for instance via xbian-config) which should correct the ssh part and also try setting default code page in xbmc to reflect your local characters?

(30th Nov, 2013 09:47 PM)agotttoli Wrote: [ -> ]i changed locale (added it UTF8 and setted it as default)
also changed keyboard layout as italian

I just tested and can confirm this as issue.

Looks like some of never Debian/Raspbian packages changed behaviour.

Try this:
1) log into RPI with ssh
2) run this command "export LC_ALL=$LANG"
3) try "ls" again

report back
(1st Dec, 2013 08:47 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]In the system/xbian menu you can't scroll down the menu items fully with a mouse.
Bogomips now shows 2.00, this can't be right.
No temperature on the GPU shown.
time zone needs to be reset.
frame rate shown seems to be half that of 1b1.1 - again not right surely?

- bogomips is reported to be "2" on OC systems for very long time. if you are interested in details, use google
- I don't know how many temperature sensors RPI has internally, but SoC design makes one piece logical. actually meaning CPU temp = GPU temp = temp
- TZ for XBMC or system
- for fps follow this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=179174

mk
(1st Dec, 2013 08:54 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]2) run this command "export LC_ALL=$LANG"

Works!! Big Grin
I added it in .bashrc with export LANGUAGE=$LANG Wink
Thanks
@agotttoli

it will be fixed with first xbian-update update on system wide level (all users).
Tested - so far working, thx.
(2nd Dec, 2013 05:12 PM)schmoo Wrote: [ -> ]Tested - so far working, thx.
merged your thread into this as there is no need to have a separate one for Beta2 related stuff
Gyus,

I'm sorry don't remember name I discussed apt-get update/upgrade speed (in general) between beta1 and beta2.
hopefully he reads this.

if you require faster apt-get install/upgrade process you can disable dpkg-preconfigure command to be started after EACH one .deb file being unpacked. it's perl script costing MUCH memory and MUCH cpu cycles.

it was enabled in Beta1 so this isn't the cause for the huge slowness you feel, but I suppose this one step can be traded for speed easily. we can look at the difference then later.

Oh and please say hallo again to remind me again, thanks.
I guess I was one on the persons complaining about really slow apt-get in beta 1.1
Haven't experienced it (yet) in Beta2 but before it looked like it got slower over time.
ok - this appears to be the daily cron running a task to create a btrfs snapshot - is there any way to suppress alerts for that action ?

apart from that I only notice a couple of very minor nit-picks :-

1) The time syncs after xbmc has loaded (maybe about 15 seconds after the gui appears, but during my scan for new media)
2) Audio starts playing about a second before the video appears - everything is in sync, you just don't see the first second of video.

Paul

(23rd Nov, 2013 10:21 AM)badmonkey Wrote: [ -> ]I successfully updated to beta 2 and everything seems fine, however, one strange thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that after 30 minutes from booting I get a message pop up saying that btrfs is mounting a removable drive, immediately followed by a message that btrfs is unmounting a drive. I don't have any drives plugged into my pi so this is odd but no big issue - any ideas ?

Paul
(3rd Dec, 2013 08:59 PM)badmonkey Wrote: [ -> ]ok - this appears to be the daily cron running a task to create a btrfs snapshot - is there any way to suppress alerts for that action ?

apart from that I only notice a couple of very minor nit-picks :-

1) The time syncs after xbmc has loaded (maybe about 15 seconds after the gui appears, but during my scan for new media)
2) Audio starts playing about a second before the video appears - everything is in sync, you just don't see the first second of video.

@Paul

2 - if you are syncing (hz) to video (fps) this is due the TV changing resolution. you can set "pause video for xy ms" during video screen resolution change.

1 - there are few solutions - depending on your usage pattern.
- XBian restores 'fake' clock (time saved during shutdown/reboot) early in the boot. if you don't turn your RPI off, this 'wrong time will be max 1m behind the real
- If you ARE turning RPI off for days, this can be issue but - I use setting where Date added to the library is time of file creation on local filesystem, not time at Library update. So it would become irrelevant again. Last option is to wait with XBMC - ugly - without network XBMC won't start. By what add-on/app are you updating the lib? or just you checked update upon start ?

@Paul

we are aware that accessing sub-volumes for what ever reason is triggering this info window. Unfortunately we have no simple solution until now - if I don't consider hard patching of XBMC code. so somehow this is still under consideration - waiting for external know how Smile

last resort is patching which I'm a bit against. much work and commitment for updates for little benefit. let's see.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Reference URL's