Forum

Full Version: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 2 thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
(16th Feb, 2014 05:16 AM)Baz8755 Wrote: [ -> ]
(16th Feb, 2014 05:13 AM)zilexa Wrote: [ -> ]I did a clean install of beta 2 using Windows installer. During the first start wizard I chose Update. The process ended with an error (screenshot will be added). Then I was asked to reboot. Now, it has shown "starting xbmc..." For 7minutes, sometimes the screen goes black and then back to the "starting xbmc" screen.

Too bad, it has been over 2months since I did a clean install. This shows me xbian is still not stable enough, a simple clean install should at least work, right? I didn't overclock or do anything.

I had similar problems on a clean install, using SSH I had to install all updates and reboot twice and now all is good

I also had the same problem. Yesterday I've done a fresh install of beta 2 and installed all the latest updated by SSH xbian-config. I was facing two (known) error's. If you continue updating by SSH Xbian-config it turns out okay. I hope this will not scare of new users..

My install steps on a fresh beta 2

Beta 2 is running very stable now.
Ok, now please try to explain me this

I had a running fine installation, with default overclock and a rii air mouse/keyboard.
I moved root to NFS due SD card corruption.
I do a nightly backup of the nfs export using lvm snapshots.
Plugins: Italian TV streaming and pelisalacarta.

Everything was fine for more then a week, whith xbian always on and hours of streaming.
Two days ago I had to shutdown xbian for planned AC interruption.
Now, xbian freeze few minutes after every reboot.
Screen blank, host unreachable and non response to keyboard

I started to restore backups and now I've reached three days ago with no success: xbian load fine with no errors on dmesg, then after some minutes hangs with all the leds on.
I removed the rii usb receiver and I tried two differents power sources with no success.
Now I will try to restore an older backup and as last chance the first copy right after installation.
In the last days I rebooted xbian almost 4/5 times with no issues.
It's really strange and annoying.
Restoring backups did not help.
Then tried to disable CEC and screensaver and tonight xbian did not freeze.
Now I re-enabled only CEC an I'm waiting

The screensaver was only black screen, with dim effect,
Without screensaver no freezes right now. Could be related to some standby/sleep mode?
(1st Dec, 2013 07:34 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]@Freddie299

I wanted to post commend earlier about this but had no time to write down everything I wanted, so sorry to react on your post so late.

Anyhow the issue for you is caused by change in Beta2 in the way how sshd is started. It is not started as regular daemon anymore, but it is spawned from inetd daemon. This is directly related to changing the listening port for you and most probably indirectly related to the chroot environment - I tried to find some insights about this combination (inetd & chrooted sshd setup) - but I wasn't successful.

the solution would be to disable ssh in xbian-config (or manually by editing /etc/inetd.conf if you prefer) and use standard way of starting sshd by sysv or upstart script again.

I included this standalone startup script in 1.0.2-11a version of xbian-update package which is available at devel repo (http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/devel/main/x/xbian-update/xbian-update_1.0.2-11a_armhf.deb). the ssh is started as daemon with upstart script /etc/init/ssh-nid.conf and is disabled by default. you can enable it by removing "manual" stanza from /etc/init/ssh-nid.override.

of course you can run both in parallel, just change ssh port found in /etc/inetd.conf configuration. sshd started from ssh-nid script will read port from /etc/ssh/sshd_config as you are used to.

Now I am late. Thank you very much for looking into my issue anyway. I mean, I am a single user with a single problem that I created all alone by myself. Wink

With your help I managed to get everything back up and running, plus I once again learned a lot about my system.

[Old post: In case you remember anything from this case I would be happy to get some more explanations. I tried to follow your advice, but I am unable to get the server running in the way I am used to. Since the source you provided is 404, did the script you mentioned go into the standard packages in the meantime?

I'd be so happy If you could provide a a little more detailed howto change from inetd to upstart with this ssh-nid because googeling this brings me straight to this thread.]

Best regards, and thank you once again for your calm support and patience.

-Freddie
(24th Feb, 2014 06:41 AM)Fabio72 Wrote: [ -> ]Without screensaver no freezes right now. Could be related to some standby/sleep mode?

Are you overclocking? What type of power supply are you using?
No OC, just default setting.
I'm using a tablet 2A power supply.
Right now no more freezes. Just disabled screen saver and auto updates.
Damn!
I rebooted from console cause I had to reboot my NFS server and now freeze again after some minutes.
I switched the TV off leaving xbmc playing a stream with no success.
Restoring backups doesn't seem make any difference.
Now I will try to turn off CEC again for a while to see if it changes anything.

It's strange: when it works it's a great peace of software, but every time I reboot it's a mess.
Now i disabled pelisalacarta addon cause it was giving me errors on boot.
Disabled an re-enabled CEC and seemed not to freeze.
Now I re-enabled the screensaver and it's not freezes yet.
I don't understand. Maybe I have to reboot a couple of times after every shutdown to have a stable configuration.
I do work with Linux but this behaviour is making me mad.
double check your alim, usb cable.
because when screen saver is on, xbian can do manything, as auto update, update his db, or something like this, that can be cpu intensive. also try without anything plug in pi's usb.
it's maybe not the problem, but it's look like.
I tried also a less powerful Samsung phone alim.
When it works, it's rock solid. Except for brtfs corruption's but I'm using NFS for this.
But after an halt, removing and replugging power cord to reboot, system is unstable.
Then I make some test and reboot a couple of times and it becomes rock solid again...
ok, i've no more idea so... sorry.
Maybe something different happens if I use halt command from console instead of rebooting or shooting down from GUI.
I never tried to leave xbian with xbmc closed after a reboot, to see if it freeze also in console mode.
Can the devs of XBian please put a statement on the website warning people NOT to install Beta2, or recommend them to install a stable image instead of using the installer and recommend not to update the RPi!?
There is a HUGE lack of communication here. It is crazy you have to go through forums, find this topic: http://forum.xbian.org/thread-2078.html and discover you should not have started with XBian or not upgraded.

3 questions, 1:
What is the recommended way to install if you do want to use XBian? Install the image? Is there an RC1 image available?

2:
Also: check the screenshot here. I have this with 5 RPis, all bought from different shops and installed for different people. Beta2. Some upgraded to RC1 but it still says its Beta2.

3:
And another question: where is the library/fanart data stored? Because home/xbian/.xbmc/userdata/library folder is empty, home/xbian/.xbmc/userdata/database does contain the database files, but not the fanart. I want to create a backup of my library only (= sources.xml, database, fanart) not addons/skins/settings.
We're more than happy for you to join the team of developers and assist in making Xbian better or do you just prefer to sit on the side lines? After all it is a free product.

1/ As the forum suggests - there are many ways, some work for some, others not.
2/ Says nothing of use - just a screenshot of ssh xbian-config. Why 5 RPi? Are you running a business?
3/ Use cp command.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Reference URL's