Forum

Full Version: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 2 thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
(18th Jan, 2014 03:46 AM)crs Wrote: [ -> ]v2 Pi 512, running XBian1.0 B2 since release >
The following packages will be upgraded: ³
³ xbian-package-initramfs-tools xbian-package-kernel ³
³ xbian-package-upstart-xbmc-bridge xbian-package-xbmc ³
³ xbian-package-xbmc-scripts xbian-package-zram-swap xbian-upd ³
³ 7 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded. ³
³ Need to get 55.6 MB of archives.
No problems here
V1 Pi 256, running XBian1.0 B2 since release >
The following packages will be upgraded: ³
³ xbian-package-initramfs-tools xbian-package-kernel ³
³ xbian-package-upstart-xbmc-bridge xbian-package-xbmc ³
³ xbian-package-xbmc-scripts xbian-package-zram-swap xbian-upd ³
³ 7 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

PERFECT. Thanks to the XBian crew once again.

I did the upgrade and got stuck in a "Xbmc starting" loop. Progress bar will move and after a minute or so it will terminate to a prompt. then XBMC loading will fire again and progress bar will move for a minute or so and back to prompt. Rebooted in the middle of 4th load attempt and it finally came up to home screen..scarrrrry !!
After installing this weeks updates, pi is not booting: I'm running from usb, boot is failing on 'switching root'.

Edit: After some tinkering it seems that the most recent updates are incompatible with turbo mode, running 'xbian' overclock is fine though.
(20th Jan, 2014 08:31 PM)min Wrote: [ -> ]After installing this weeks updates, pi is not booting: I'm running from usb, boot is failing on 'switching root'.

Edit: After some tinkering it seems that the most recent updates are incompatible with turbo mode, running 'xbian' overclock is fine though.

I wish I would have know what caused that issue, I blew out my install and used an older image and reinstalled. Exact same thing moving root. No more auto updates for me, I should have known better.
(21st Jan, 2014 03:35 PM)particleman Wrote: [ -> ]
(20th Jan, 2014 08:31 PM)min Wrote: [ -> ]After installing this weeks updates, pi is not booting: I'm running from usb, boot is failing on 'switching root'.

No more auto updates for me, I should have known better.

Although I agree on some level with you here, you would still see a message stating new available updates.

Are you man enough to withstand our inner urge to always update everything?? Wink
(21st Jan, 2014 03:35 PM)particleman Wrote: [ -> ]

I wish I would have know what caused that issue, I blew out my install and used an older image and reinstalled. Exact same thing moving root. No more auto updates for me, I should have known better.

The responsibility of working updates doesn't lie with the end user IMO..my advice is always search for solutions before going to extremes!
Only if you install updates from the stable repo.
(22nd Jan, 2014 12:40 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]Only if you install updates from the stable repo.

That's true-these are the updates that I've installed, just in case it wasn't clear.
(22nd Jan, 2014 12:40 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]Only if you install updates from the stable repo.

Problems happened with auto-updates from stable repo
So, what's the progress on fixing the Beta 2 USB-install bug?
(22nd Jan, 2014 09:12 PM)Smultie Wrote: [ -> ]So, what's the progress on fixing the Beta 2 USB-install bug?

Just reading thru this thread because i've hit the same error now building a new XBian Pi for a friend.

Thought it was just me - Using the xbian-config copy to USB and its failing / sticking as per other posters in this thread.

It was ok about 2-3 weeks ago, because thats when I set up my own 2nd Pi with my Hyperion Ambilight setup, so I know the USB copy was working fine then.
*** OK ***

There seems to be a problem somewhere in the upgrade

Can I ask you all to include the details from sources.list to eliminate the area.

If devel - you knew the risks.
If staging - then it's not right.
Otherwise, something is not right and needs to be fixed.

Restore to a previous snapshot - I have requested a FUNCTION to allow this to be performed. Unfortunately I don't know how this is done but is it possible - that is the point!

Being on the bleeding edge will have a few lacerations - but you like that, that is why you use Xbian.
I have no problem with that, Iridium.

What is a little bit more unsettling to me, is mk01's availability schedule.
Progress without him seems to immediately grind to a halt and he tends to be away from the forum for days on end.

I more than understand that someone can't dedicate too much time on a freeware-project, but imho this is XBian's weakest point at the moment. Please don't read this as negativity towards mk01 or any of the other devs.
Just noticed that the xbmc-repository is not working.

Looks like it is pointing to the old server.

Terminal
15:48:32 T:2735772736 ERROR: CCurlFile::CReadState::Open, didn't get any data from stream.
15:48:32 T:2735772736 ERROR: Open - failed to open source <http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com/xbian-xbmc-repository/addons.xml.md5>
15:48:42 T:2735772736 WARNING: FillBuffer: curl failed with code 28
15:48:42 T:2735772736 ERROR: CCurlFile::CReadState::Open, didn't get any data from stream.
15:48:42 T:2735772736 ERROR: Repository XBIAN Addons returned no add-ons, listing may have failed
@all

it can happen with stable (as well) in case there is regression (kernel -> xbian-config and copy problems), new bug or ugly hacking by upstream devels (firmware -> altering arm/core clock inside firmware code without user interaction).

function by function comprehensive testing (specially on upstream STABLE packages) is completely out of reach.

@min

by turbo mode you mean "force turbo" or only turbo overclock? if the latter then this are the symptoms of messing with firmware. after 2months RPI documented a parameter to config.txt to force internal fw works as before the change. it is as default parameter in testing fw 1.4.13-1 (xbian-package-firmware). i can confirm that my RPI's are again stable as before.

after we realized fw be a problem all newer versions than October were took down but the changes in fw were joined with others in kernel too. that's why 3.10.x tree is now completely abandoned by XBian.
testing 3.12.x with patched btrfs to fix the freezes is in devel too (1.3-6.10) but should go to staging (or even stable) in next moments/days (the fixes to btrfs are 3months old, but were not merged to RPI tree).

not very nicely managed by RPI last weeks.

if users using staging/devel can catch such problems, we know about them. if not, than it is unfortunately going to public.

(25th Jan, 2014 01:52 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Just noticed that the xbmc-repository is not working.

Looks like it is pointing to the old server.

Terminal
15:48:32 T:2735772736 ERROR: CCurlFile::CReadState::Open, didn't get any data from stream.
15:48:32 T:2735772736 ERROR: Open - failed to open source <http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com/xbian-xbmc-repository/addons.xml.md5>

yes, it was moved very long ago / with new definitions (new version) on old server also few days/week. no big deal, re-install this actual .zip.

http://xbian.brantje.com/xbian-xbmc-repository/repo.xbian.xbmc/repo.xbian.xbmc-1.0.4.zip
Is that also supposed to fix the USB install difficulties?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Reference URL's