Forum

Full Version: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 2 thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
As Beta 2 has now officially been released, please use this thread for any problems you may encounter.

For upgrade: BETA2 UPGRADE
For past problems: Past problems
For previous ideas:Previous ideas
For installation:XBian_1.0_Beta_2 image
For definite Bugs:Bugs Please prefix as [Beta 2]
I'm now running the built in backup functionality. It seems to be a lot slower than during the beta 2 testing phase. Can that be?
It shouldn't be. Is this from a fresh restart as Beta 2 does have a heavy load at startup. Can you check CPU usage at startup and 5 minutes later. I would expect at idea cpu to be about 10%
Idle CPU usage is around 10-15 percent.
(16th Nov, 2013 04:56 AM)Smultie Wrote: [ -> ]Idle CPU usage is around 10-15 percent.

That is what I expected - so what is the problem?
That the backup takes a long long time, at least compared to the last time I ran it, about two weeks ago.
(16th Nov, 2013 04:45 AM)Smultie Wrote: [ -> ]I'm now running the built in backup functionality. It seems to be a lot slower than during the beta 2 testing phase. Can that be?

you mean backuphome function or creating xbian clone?

anyhow for past two week there were almost 0 changes one beta2 (i don't count text corrections etc as relevant changes).

just for setting a "standard" what is slow / fast. clean beta2 img (~450mb) doing xbianclone to network location (.img file) takes under 10minutes (XBMC running, watching live tv, load ~25%).
In "general" I think disk write is slower than beta1.1 (maybe due to latest firmware/kernel/btrfs/cmdline.txt settings?)
Apt-get upgrade is slower than before (I already disabled apt snapshots).
Even sometimes I had to run dpkg --configure -a because dpkg has crashed.
This morning I even had a kernel panic after updating after reboot. The reason was that some update process crashed and there was no /boot/cmdline.txt file anymore.
I used some other pc to restore.

I have tried with various sd cards. and my feeling is that filesystem is not stable.
XBMC and booting is alot faster than beta1.1

Just my two cents
KB
@Killerbee,

how did you install Beta2?
(16th Nov, 2013 05:59 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]@Killerbee,
how did you install Beta2?

@mk01

I tried various ways. But as far as I can remember my latest install is the "latest beta 2 image" found in the beta 2 topic.

As far as I can remember I had the same issues when updating from beta 1.1(with hotfix)
Beta 1.1 apt-get was fast but when "the snaphot feature" came in (or whatever other change) apt-get becommes slow and I have to use dpkg --configure -a quet offten.
Even when I disable the apt-snapshot feature apt is slow.

Could it be the btfs autodefrag feature?

If you want me to follow some specific test procedure please let me know.
KB
@Killerbee

I was asking this because if you upgrade, FS is the same as before. If you use image (or xbian clone), FS will be different to Beta1.

As to your problem with dpkg --configure -a: this means your dpkg -i process wasn't completed and indicates bigger issues than speed of the process only. without more detail like - apt command and actual package + dpkg error which caused the unconfigured state - hard to discuss.

apt-snapshot of course is causing delay (when snapshot is created before dpkg is run), but is not affecting following dpkg operations. of course apt-snapshot on/off is in full control of user and it is up to you whether accept the 20s delay or not but this mean trade for easy rollback to previous system state in a minute without long and boring process of reflash and losing everything.

if you want to test more, revert to beta1 mount options. put "thread_pool=1" into cmdline.txt as rootfsopts= and remount / with noatime. currently you have to do this from command line after boot with:
Code:
sudo mount -o remount,noatime /

noatime in cmdline.txt won't be accepted when rootfs mounted by kernel.

autodefrag was used already on beta1x.
@mk01

With my current installation I need to run dpkg --configure -a after each package when I run the apt-get upgrade command.
Do you want me to test something or should I start with a fresh installation?

For a fresh installation, what do you recommend:
Beta 1.1 => beta2
Beta 1.1 with hotfix => beta2
Beta 1.2 with hotfix => beta2
Alpha 5 => Beta 2
Beta2 image from beta topic => apt-get upgrade.

(17th Nov, 2013 12:58 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]if you want to test more, revert to beta1 mount options. put "thread_pool=1" into cmdline.txt as rootfsopts= and remount / with noatime. currently you have to do this from command line after boot with:
Code:

noatime in cmdline.txt won't be accepted when rootfs mounted by kernel.
I will test this later.

FYI
One other annoying thing is when I run apt-get update from the CLI, splash "updating" is showing. So I am unable to see what package is causing the crash of dpkg.

KB
(17th Nov, 2013 03:39 AM)Killerbee Wrote: [ -> ]With my current installation I need to run dpkg --configure -a after each package when I run the apt-get upgrade command.
Do you want me to test something or should I start with a fresh installation?

For a fresh installation, what do you recommend:
Beta 1.1 => beta2
Beta 1.1 with hotfix => beta2
Beta 1.2 with hotfix => beta2
Alpha 5 => Beta 2
Beta2 image from beta topic => apt-get upgrade.

FYI
One other annoying thing is when I run apt-get update from the CLI, splash "updating" is showing. So I am unable to see what package is causing the crash of dpkg.

splash updating is valid only for xbian-update, xbmc stopped and xbian-update update wasn't triggered from xbian-config CLI. also you can disable it completely if you create /run/noreboot
Code:
sudo touch /run/noreboot

also anytime you can check the apt's/dpkg output in /var/log/apt/term.log (/var/log/apt/history.log contains apt/dpkg commands history)

also, dpkg --configure -a is showing which packages are going to be configured. if you get splash again and again, then the affected package IS xbian-update itself.

to your question which one base install is best for upgrade - there is no difference. and I mean it. xbian-update contains all changes / updates / config changes as transactions, while for each with check whether it is already applied or not. so at the end you get from them always the same installation.

only difference is, that Beta2 has BTRFS created with different options and this you won't get while updating from versions prior beta2 image (but you can convert into the new BTRFS anytime by doing XBIANCLONE to a new SD card, or to USB stick and then back to SD - or if you don't care actual system and only XBMC content (libs, thumbs, settings, addons) is relevant, you can update pre Beta2 install and use BACKUPHOME function).

you can provide already mentioned /var/log/apt/history.log+term.log via pastebin.
@mk01
(17th Nov, 2013 05:21 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]you can provide already mentioned /var/log/apt/history.log+term.log via pastebin.

This is what I did:
Changed cmdline.txt file: added rootfsopts=thread_pool=1
reboot
remount root filesystem using this command
Code:

Run apt-get update; apt-get upgrade.
Terminal
root@xbian2:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
xbian-package-usbmount
The following packages will be upgraded:
btrfs-tools xbian-package-config-shell xbian-package-config-xbmc xbian-package-zram-swap xbian-update
5 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 3,232 B/1,623 kB of archives.
After this operation, 724 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://xbian.brantje.com/devel/ wheezy/main xbian-package-zram-swap armhf 1.0-4.6 [3,232 B]
Fetched 3,232 B in 0s (26.5 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 33334 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace xbian-update 1.0.2-8d (using .../xbian-update_1.0.2-8e_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xbian-update ...
Connection to 192.168.2.12 closed by remote host.
Connection to 192.168.2.12 closed.
Apt is still very slow and finally connection was closed.
Tried to login but I am not able.
Code:
ssh: connect to host 192.168.2.12 port 22: No route to host
I checked my pi. Pi crashed.
unplugged power and reboot.
history.log
Term.log
I ran dpkg --configure -a
Terminal
root@xbian2:/home/xbian# dpkg --configure -a
Processing triggers for xbian-package-initramfs-tools ...
root@xbian2:/home/xbian#

KB
Since there is no official Beta 2 release yet, what is the best way to install Beta 2 on a new RPi? I have 2 here that need to be installed. Simply use the old test image from the testing topic?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Reference URL's